Page 1 of 1

Pacific War Sub Game

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:22 am
by SoulBlazer
My first game where I controled a US sub in the Pacific during WWII was the port of Silent Service done for the NES. While a very nice job, and showcasing what the system could do when it came out, the game lacks anything bigger then a DD in it, as well as a lack of options.

I then played Silent Service II -- first for the C64 (ask me sometime about the Battle of Rabul!) and then for several years I played the PC version.

However, that version no longer runs on my system (it IS DOS based, after all) despite efforts on my behalf.

So, I need some advise -- any good Pacific War sub games out there that will run on a modern system?

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:36 am
by Ron Saueracker
Silent Hunter is a good one. Silent Hunter III will be out in a year and is an updated version. Pacific Thunder is the name of a site dedicated to Silent Hunter...check it out.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:12 am
by Oleg Mastruko
Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
Silent Hunter is a good one. Silent Hunter III will be out in a year and is an updated version.


Where did you get that? IIRC Carl Norman, executive producer (or something) in Ultimation and SSI gave some hints as regards SH3 1,5 years ago, but things went kinda downhill since then, and Norman himself left Ultimation (currently calls himself "unepmloyed game producer").

Carl was a spiritus movens behind many realistic combat sims, and I certainly hope he'll be back with some project one day...

Meanwhile where did you hear about SH3?

O.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:08 am
by Ron Saueracker
Originally posted by Oleg Mastruko
Where did you get that? IIRC Carl Norman, executive producer (or something) in Ultimation and SSI gave some hints as regards SH3 1,5 years ago, but things went kinda downhill since then, and Norman himself left Ultimation (currently calls himself "unepmloyed game producer").

Carl was a spiritus movens behind many realistic combat sims, and I certainly hope he'll be back with some project one day...

Meanwhile where did you hear about SH3?

O.


Wollfpack League forums and Ubi Soft.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:10 pm
by U2
Hi

Well SH3 sounds like good news to me. SH is still a favourite while I have stopped playing SH2...was not enirely happy with that one.

Dan

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:30 pm
by SoulBlazer
Okay, where can I pick up a copy of SH at?

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:36 am
by Gabby
I see Silent Hunter at Wal-mart when I scan thier software section. IIRC it is realy expensive, Something like $9.99. If you can't get it at Wal-mart, I think there are a few places on-line. I think there are links on the Pacific Thunder site.

Hope this helps

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:22 pm
by Oliver Heindorf
old software can be found at ebay

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:05 am
by SoulBlazer
Huh, you know what? I DID pick up this game last year from somewhere....only I could'nt get it to run under Windows XP.

Oh well. Here's hoping a new sub game comes out.

Silent Hunter under Win-XP

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:17 am
by popejoy1
Hi!

There is a way to run Silent Hunter under Windows XP. I have tried the method posted at the following URL, and it worked fine for me. It is a bit complicated, but all the steps are thoroughly explained and documented.

[URL=http://]http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_xp/silent_hunterxp.shtml[/URL]

Good luck!

Paul