Page 1 of 1

Where is TF202? The world wonders.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:07 am
by bilbow
I've been playing UV continuously for 9 months, and still love it. Here's part of why:

I'm playing Scenario 15 PBEM as Allies, it's the end of Dec 42. I'm attempting an invasion of Port Moresby. The IJN has been dented some, but is far from broken. TF202 with my three servicable carriers commanded by Spruance are tasked with providing CAP for the landing.

Jap carriers appear coming out of Rabaul, and Spruance hares off after them, contrary to his "do not react" orders, leaving the transports with no cover.

The carrier battles sees Wasp hurt badly and a couple of enemy carriers damaged to an unknown degree. Meanwhile Jap LRB jump the now-uncovered transports, hitting several, including 2 carrying Seabee units.

The invasion is successful, although more expensive than I had hoped. Both carrier forces retire, but I'm able to get enough fighters into the now-repaired PM airbase to stave off massive counterstrikes by Rabaul LRBs, 129 killed in one day.

The unpredicatbility of UV is one of its greatest features, and although it's frustrating at times because of this, it's the best wargame I have played in over 30 years.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:04 am
by Raverdave
Don't ya just luv it?:cool:

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:19 am
by bilbow
Originally posted by Raverdave
Don't ya just luv it?:cool:


Yes I do, although I'm a bit concerned about my addiction reaching new levels when WITP comes out.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:00 am
by Mr.Frag
Yes I do, although I'm a bit concerned about my addiction reaching new levels when WITP comes out.


Get rid of the family now, while you still have prep time before WitP ships and you loose your life.

Reading Mogami's post on a 10 hour first turn and my eye's are watering already. I've got UV down to < 15 minutes for either Japan or Allied now.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:58 am
by Admiral DadMan
Originally posted by Raverdave
Don't ya just luv it?:cool:
Not Like, Love!

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:01 pm
by Feinder
"Jap carriers appear coming out of Rabaul, and Spruance hares off after them, contrary to his "do not react" orders, leaving the transports with no cover."

This is why I use Mitchner. Like me, he always seems to play the safe bet. He seems to hardly ever gain a decisive victory, but always seems to hold the field when the battle is over. He'll put a hurtin' on the enemy fleet without jeopardizing his own.

Anyone excited even about the "historical" reference value of WitP? I've poured over UV (and PacWar) for quite some time just looking at the classes of ships, planes, etc. And it should be interesting in Dec '41, when Lex and her girlfriends are equipped with Vindicators and Buffalos.

-F-

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:00 pm
by Mr.Frag
Vindicators and Buffalos


Ah, modern planes eh?

Wait till the Med and you are tooling around at Swordfish speed.

"Sorry Sir, I can not attack a moving target, it's faster then I can fly!"

:D

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:04 am
by rcwkent
I'm playing Scenario 15 PBEM as Allies, it's the end of Dec 42. I'm attempting an invasion of Port Moresby. The IJN has been dented some, but is far from broken. TF202 with my three servicable carriers commanded by Spruance are tasked with providing CAP for the landing.



I'm playing IJN vs Bilbow in this game. We both reacted one hex before the CV battle. I tried to set up 10-12 hexes away, but we ended up at 7 to 8.

Were you using CV LRCAP to cover your invasion TF?, cuz your CV's were just south of Gili.

I pursued the next turn thinking I'd nailed one of two CV's. But alas there was Saratoga I had not counted on.

It's an exciting PBEM. I invaded Australia with the entire 17th Army- only to have it wiped out. Now I'm definitely on the defensive.

The carpet bombing by B17's and B24's is very difficult to deal with.