Dev Diary #09: CS Event Engine
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm
Berto suggested I'd start a new Developer Diary on CS Event Engine and what can be done with it to give the CS scenarios additional oomph. And why not. We're just out with the first CS Event Engine 1.0 code, so it's still early. But what better way to get everyone's thoughts and ideas in as early as possible than giving some living samples as what it can do already in this BETA stage.
So let us keep this interactive, and let us have those ideas coming in.
Berto will no doubt do a Coder Diary on Event Engine at some stage, giving out the details how Lua, the scripting language used in CS Event Engine, works. But in this thread, let us not get bogged down in technical details, let us talk scenario design instead.
With this in mind, I'll start with "Crisis in Sirte: 1. Prelude (H2H)" as the sample to use here.
At this stage, I've already got an initial list of ideas I want to try out. Here they are, in no particular order:
[*] I'd like to give both sides a briefing in the beginning as what their key tasks are.
[*] Later perhaps, I'd like to give the players feedback as how they are doing per achieving those tasks.
[*] I want events too, of course. So how about a few events that can trigger the arrival of reinforcements. Given how things go, they might come sooner, or later. Or not at all.
[*] For instance, I'll add a Libyan SAM site to the coast, and have some British SAS troops there to take it out. Only once its out can the Air assault begin.
[*] The Brits paratroopers may be used to being surrounded, too, but I'd like to have their supply situation worsen throughout the game play, for one. Perhaps some other difficulties as well?
[*] Losses might have an effect as well. Lose your commander, and everyone's Morale goes down?
What else?
In the Adaptive AI Dev thread, I fooled around with AI parameters. Those can be accessed from Event Engine as well, so that might be the proper place to do it.
I'll get started little by little on this one. Meanwhile, any ideas, wishes, what ever, please chip in!
So let us start by asking first what you'd like to see take place on that scenario?
Let us then see if I can then have them take place [:)]
So let us keep this interactive, and let us have those ideas coming in.
Berto will no doubt do a Coder Diary on Event Engine at some stage, giving out the details how Lua, the scripting language used in CS Event Engine, works. But in this thread, let us not get bogged down in technical details, let us talk scenario design instead.
With this in mind, I'll start with "Crisis in Sirte: 1. Prelude (H2H)" as the sample to use here.
At this stage, I've already got an initial list of ideas I want to try out. Here they are, in no particular order:
[*] I'd like to give both sides a briefing in the beginning as what their key tasks are.
[*] Later perhaps, I'd like to give the players feedback as how they are doing per achieving those tasks.
[*] I want events too, of course. So how about a few events that can trigger the arrival of reinforcements. Given how things go, they might come sooner, or later. Or not at all.
[*] For instance, I'll add a Libyan SAM site to the coast, and have some British SAS troops there to take it out. Only once its out can the Air assault begin.
[*] The Brits paratroopers may be used to being surrounded, too, but I'd like to have their supply situation worsen throughout the game play, for one. Perhaps some other difficulties as well?
[*] Losses might have an effect as well. Lose your commander, and everyone's Morale goes down?
What else?
In the Adaptive AI Dev thread, I fooled around with AI parameters. Those can be accessed from Event Engine as well, so that might be the proper place to do it.
I'll get started little by little on this one. Meanwhile, any ideas, wishes, what ever, please chip in!
So let us start by asking first what you'd like to see take place on that scenario?
Let us then see if I can then have them take place [:)]







