Page 1 of 1

Should "Combatsave.uvs" File Not Be Dated?

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:39 am
by Admiral DadMan
Multi-game PBeM'ers weigh in!

Comment only on the current format, as wholesale changes aren't likely to be implemented in UV.

With the new format, I am forced to delete the current combatsave.uvs file to be sure that I load the proper file. I'm not happy.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:03 am
by Drex
Actually the date helps me match the combatsave with the game. As in some cases I am getting separate combatsaves for each pbem game I'm playing. Don't know why this happens but at least I can keep track with the date.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:11 am
by bilbow
I am seeing multiple combat save files, and the concern is which one loads since then file menu only shows one, labelled "combet save" only. Also, is some of my games the turn file will overwrite the previous in spite of the different date in the file name, but in others it won't, again making for multiple copies. This is getting confusing- the old system worked just fine. A lot more file management now.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:19 am
by Yamamoto
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've run 13 different turns this afternoon in a total of 5 different games and I only have ONE combat save. Each new one just writes over the old one like before. The only difference is that it has a date on the end of it. How the heck are you guys getting multiple saves?

Yamamoto

[Edit] Maybe this is something that only happens on the Allied side? I'm playing Japanese so maybe that is why I don't have multiple combat saves.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:23 am
by Admiral DadMan
I run win98se, and because the date is part of the file name, it sees it as a different file.

Funny how it's not a problem for the saved turn itself, just the replay.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:27 am
by SoulBlazer
Yeah, the 'problem' is only for Allied players, since Japanese don't need the combat replay file.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:32 am
by Drex
I don't see it as a"problem" since the date of the combatsave is a day less than the game turn it goes with. I have Win98 and it only happens with me as Allies.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:06 am
by Weathersfield
I didn't vote since you did not have the choice:

The date is good but should show in the load save game screen.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:48 am
by Attack Condor
Not really applicable for me I'm afraid... Every turn after I save I copy from the save game file from UV to a subdirectory I have on each of my opponents. Procedure runs as follows - download, play turn, save, attach and send, move turn and CR from UV save to the individual player sub directories, download next player, etc.

So I guess it's "I don't give a crap" but please do not take that as any indication of my true feelings for the patch, DadMan's time and effort in spinning this thread, or Yamamoto's urge to buy from the airbrushed salesladies on late night television when the History channel goes off the air.

Some things, you just have to give a crap about.

:)