Page 1 of 1

The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 am
by m10bob
While input from the players themselves have not been asked for, I have opened this thread, because past experience has shown Matrixgames listens to it's customers as no other war game company has.

The two biggest problems I was annoyed by in the original game(s) was the ability to "reconnoiter" by fire,(firing arty into the enemy rear and listen for the "clink" when metal was hit by shrapnel).

and the atrocious number of casualties the hostiles were able to absorb before calling it a day.

IRL a casualty rate of 10% would be really bad.

The former might be resolved by removing that tell-tale "clink" noise of rear area exposure, and the second problem might be resolved with a simpler "% casualties" option to end a battle..

Thank you.....

RE: The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 am
by Lobster
The clink is quite annoying yes. As far as casualties, Soviet units in WW2 took tremendous amounts of casualties before they would call it a day. It was either get shot by the bad guys in front of you or get shot by the bad guys behind you. So anything of that sort would have to be coded by nationality.

It's been awhile since I've played this so I don't know what has changed. Can the defenders still have an unlimited number of shots ignoring all time considerations? That one really rubbed me the wrong way and was one of the chief reasons I threw this game in the heap. Do units still spin like tops shooting everything in sight with, again, no time considerations? Changing those things would be good in my opinion.

RE: The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am
by Riitaoja2
Can the defenders still have an unlimited number of shots ignoring all time considerations?

That would be the "special opfire" feature. There is a preferences setting to tone it down. If left in the default value it can get ridiculous. Setting "spec op fire freq" to "30%" vs. the default "100%" should help.

I still think special opfire is a good feature when toned down. Compared to the original Steel Panthers (or the Camo Workshop versions) where a unit that had run out of shots simply sits in place and is completely harmless for the rest of the turn. Now at least there is a certain element of surprise and danger from those units.

Also it is important to note that in SPWAW only 3 units can opportunity fire on the attacker. Where as in the Camo workshop versions every unit that can opfire will opfire.

RE: The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am
by MrsWargamer
Yes, speculative artillery fire is not a bonus to game realism at all.

It's something easy to abuse in Battle Academy as well, so it is not just a SPWaW notion.

RE: The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:10 pm
by Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Yes, speculative artillery fire is not a bonus to game realism at all.

It's something easy to abuse in Battle Academy as well, so it is not just a SPWaW notion.
Could be worse. In RTS game Warhammer: Dark Omen player's cannon shoots at zombie on the cliff. Zombie falls as cannonball pass through him, then cannonball hits the dirt with an explosion killing more zombies that are outside of player's LOS, making their exploding remains visible. I had fun looking at that. It is in scenario of liberating dwarf tower after defense of countess and her town.

RE: The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 pm
by Lobster
Something else comes to mind. Again, I don't know if this has been implemented but I know it was being asked for when I played:
Allowing players to set the opportunity fire range of units. Allowing players to set the target type of units firing opportunity fire.

RE: The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 pm
by m10bob
ORIGINAL: Lobster

Something else comes to mind. Again, I don't know if this has been implemented but I know it was being asked for when I played:
Allowing players to set the opportunity fire range of units. Allowing players to set the target type of units firing opportunity fire.

Actually, IMHO, this has always been a realistic feature.

My dad was a 2LT on D Day and in the hedgerows that week, he worked with one other guy for recon work, and was resolved to NOT shoot, lest they be revealed to a vastly superior foe.
Firing was a "last resort".[;)]

RE: The newest "SPWAW"

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm
by Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Lobster

Something else comes to mind. Again, I don't know if this has been implemented but I know it was being asked for when I played:
Allowing players to set the opportunity fire range of units. Allowing players to set the target type of units firing opportunity fire.
OpFire range has been under player's control since first Steel Panthers game. Target type is available in WinSPWW2 and in WinSPMBT.