Page 1 of 1

Well so much for this game..this suks...

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:28 pm
by LT Vyktum
Well I tried, I downloaded the 4+ upgrade, still can not get it to work...I got the original disc in an issue of pc magazine..I guess it was faulty to begin with...I got it to install..intro runs...then to the credits..then it goes back to the intro option screen (no options to start a game or anything)...then somebody told me that it was a beta version, and that I needed to upgrade it, so I did..spent all day downloading..got the upgrades to install..still same problem...not missing any files latest d/l drivers directx 7.. so unless somebody wants to burn me a copy(I will pay you for your time) I will not be able to play this(from what I hear) a great game...I tried to get p/c magazine to give me another disc..yeah right..it was like asking them to pull thier teeth..It sucks that they give you a game that doesn't work right to begin with..it was the only reason I bought the magazine..well so much for my pity party...well good gaming.

------------------
Roses are red..violets are blue..I'm schizophrenic..and so am I.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:41 pm
by Fuerte
I don't know if this has been suggested but try to run the mech.exe directly.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:46 pm
by Wild Bill
Fuerte has a good point here. Do you know how to do that?...WB

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:58 pm
by LT Vyktum
That's where you go into the game file..find file mech.exe..double click..and it starts up, bypassing some of the intro logos..is that it? Please respond..I want to go to war..I guess I should explain I do get the screen where it says someones forward?..play SPWAW..scenario stuff...you know that one.the first option screen..click play..goes through logos...then to Wild Bill(yahoo)screen...then to credits...and then back to first option screen...repeat..so pretend I am an idiot(my wife seems to think so) and tell how to do this mech.exe thingy..please.

------------------
Roses are red..violets are blue..I'm schizophrenic..and so am I.

[This message has been edited by LT Vyktum (edited October 24, 2000).]

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:33 pm
by Huffy
Hey...don't give up yet...a friend of mine had the same problem...went right on my machine...but wouldn't even register the disk in his....Go get the program "Get Right"...download the full version of SPWAW...and I think it might work...he hasn't had a problem since.
Worth a try...
Huffy

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:34 pm
by Paul Lakowski
Originally posted by LT Vyktum:
That's where you go into the game file..find file mech.exe..double click..and it starts up, bypassing some of the intro logos..is that it? Please respond..I want to go to war..I guess I should explain I do get the screen where it says someones forward?..play SPWAW..scenario stuff...you know that one.the first option screen..click play..goes through logos...then to Wild Bill(yahoo)screen...then to credits...and then back to first option screen...repeat..so pretend I am an idiot(my wife seems to think so) and tell how to do this mech.exe thingy..please.
I had a similar problem with SP-2 when I first got it, what I did was go through 'explore' found the SP-2 file and double clicked on another 'exe' file and it worked. Then I make my short cut to that file and have used it since.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:14 am
by Rhone
I have an issue with spawning shortcuts in my Start->Programs->Steel Panthers menu (I've got like 5 of them!) I know some do not actually work but once I figured out which one did, I simply created another shortcut and put it on the desktop.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 4:25 pm
by Warhorse
Hello, stupid question, but after you hit play SPWAW, and the SSI logo starts up, did you try to just hit enter? I never let the whole intro thing go, hit enter and the game menu will show up, just an idea.

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 4:43 pm
by LT Vyktum
Ah..yes..I have done that...tried spacebar..enter..escape..f1..etc..it just takes me back to the first option screen..I have contacted PC magazine and they told me "some" of the cds were defective...but thanks anyway.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:20 pm
by Fuerte
I'm still not sure if you have tried to run the mech.exe directly...

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:49 am
by U235
Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be the video driver. I had tweaked my video card (Nvidia GeForce DDR 64). I reset to the defaults and it worked fine. I think I had it were it wouldn't reconize the games resolutions. Just a suggestion. Good luck and don't give up.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:46 am
by rexmonday
LTV - it sounds like PC Gamer may be to blame if they have admitted that "some CDs" were defective - demand your replacement.
Don't give up on the game until you have it sorted.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:42 am
by RangerKilo
Ya know, as a long time reader of PCGamer, alot of their CD's don't work. grrr

This game rocks tho, so get the Download for it off the net. It's what I had to do, with a dial-up modem connection, took me 2 days to get it, and another 2 days for the upgrades. Well worth the time tho!

HOOHAA

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:33 am
by troopie
Get the December issue of 'Computer Gaming World' It has version 4.0

troopie

------------------
Pamwe Chete

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 7:46 am
by Redleg
I have my shortcut so it runs spwaw.exe and it works great and by-passes all of the intro stuff.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:23 am
by Randy
Troopie, is this a for sure thing that CGW
will have SPW@W4 in their Dec. issue? Thanks
Semper Fi
randy

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:53 am
by Wild Bill
It is a sure thing, Randy. Someone wrote who already received his issue and his copy.

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 5:52 am
by Paul Lakowski
I just installed the version from PC Gamer [ thanks 'Silent Surfer', but it took 418 Mb storage space [ouch]. Anyway since my sound card is wrecked any way and I only had 460 Mb left to start with, I removed the 'wavefiles' and reduced the size to 225 Mb. Runs about the same.