Page 1 of 1
Im a long time UV player looking to find out how to play a PBEM game. I need help!
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:16 am
by iceboy105
I love UV and have been playing for a while now but Ive never done PBEM before and am looking to face my first human opponents. Could someone explain to me how PBEM works and what I should do as far as sending turns, etc.? I am a Japanese player looking for allied players for Scen 17. Thanks!
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:05 am
by osullmi
I'll play you as USN. Just set up a new game, click PBEM in the set up menu, and choose the following options: IJN sub doctrine off; Allied damage control on. I prefer 100% commitment and either historical or variable commitment, but can be flexible.
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:52 pm
by iceboy105
Originally posted by osullmi
I'll play you as USN. Just set up a new game, click PBEM in the set up menu, and choose the following options: IJN sub doctrine off; Allied damage control on. I prefer 100% commitment and either historical or variable commitment, but can be flexible.
Yes but after I play my turn then what do I do as far as emailing and all that?
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:54 pm
by Admiral DadMan
As Japan, on the FIRST turn, complete your moves and chose "end turn" either from the top menu or the "E" key.
Pick a slot to save it in.
Name it (in the right hand box).
Click "Save".
Click "done"
Then send your save game file (from \Matrix Games\Uncommon Valor\SAVE) which will look something like
"uvXXX_iceboy vs osullmi__05_01_42.uvs" (X is the slot number, and the date at the end will advance every turn)
Attach it to your email and send
The Allied Player loads that file, runs it, ends his turn, which goes to the Save Game screen, and sends it back to you.
When you load it, you will resolve the turn which generates the combat replay file, then make your moves, again ending your turn.
This time when you send, you must send the Save Game file AND the "uv001_CombatSave__05_10_42.uvs" file.
So, first turn, one file, following turns two files.
Allied always sends only save game file
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:12 am
by iceboy105
Originally posted by Admiral DadMan
As Japan, on the FIRST turn, complete your moves and chose "end turn" either from the top menu or the "E" key.
Pick a slot to save it in.
Name it (in the right hand box).
Click "Save".
Click "done"
Then send your save game file (from \Matrix Games\Uncommon Valor\SAVE) which will look something like
"uvXXX_iceboy vs osullmi__05_01_42.uvs" (X is the slot number, and the date at the end will advance every turn)
Attach it to your email and send
The Allied Player loads that file, runs it, ends his turn, which goes to the Save Game screen, and sends it back to you.
When you load it, you will resolve the turn which generates the combat replay file, then make your moves, again ending your turn.
This time when you send, you must send the Save Game file AND the "uv001_CombatSave__05_10_42.uvs" file.
So, first turn, one file, following turns two files.
Allied always sends only save game file
ahhh....great!!! thanks for the help!!! someone should add this to the FAQ page for other PBEM newbies like me

PBEM FAQ
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:17 am
by jules
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:26 am
by iceboy105
Ok ive got it all figured out now! Anyone who would like to play me (Japanese) in Scen 17 as the allies let me know!
My email is
iceboy103@hotmail.com
100% commitment
Historical
All options on! (Jap sub doctrine off)