Page 1 of 4

Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 pm
by John 3rd
My wife found this delightful tidbit that strikes this Colorado man as SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!

Enjoy and comment if you like:


Image

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 pm
by John 3rd
No disrespect to our SOUTHERN members...NOT!

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm
by ny59giants
Here in NE corner of Tennessee we closed schools early today (after just 2 hours due to wind chill factor in afternoon) and most are closed tomorrow. Not because of snow this time, but because the little urchins cannot stand outside at 6am for the school bus when temperature are in the single digits (F). School fear getting sued if something happens is what lifelong locals tell me. [&:]

signed,
childhood spent in upstate New York and walked about a mile to elementary school

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:40 pm
by John 3rd
[:D]

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm
by zuluhour
Damn John, that was funny. I'm going to share this some folks.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 pm
by Mark VII
Very funny and mostly true.

I'm also in the South slightly North of ny59giants near Nashville. Your scale is somewhat off, the third level is really the first. The mere prediction of snow, let alone 1 inch on the ground will result in a human wave assault on local grocery stores with milk and bread being looted first.

I grew up in the outer Chicago suburbs and also walked a ways to school. I remember a ice storm I think in 1968(I'm 12) walking to Jr High was a good half mile and we could of ice skated the ice was so thick. School was not cancelled.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 pm
by geofflambert
[:D]

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 pm
by NigelKentarus
I live in Jacksonville, FL and work part time at a local retail store. Just the talk of snow closed the schools, shut down the government offices, and we ran out of space heaters, women's thermals, electric blankets, and men's hats & gloves. We didn't even go below freezing here.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:26 pm
by Zorch
In southern California, they issue frostbite warnings if it goes below 50.[:D]

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:27 pm
by Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Here in NE corner of Tennessee we closed schools early today (after just 2 hours due to wind chill factor in afternoon) and most are closed tomorrow. Not because of snow this time, but because the little urchins cannot stand outside at 6am for the school bus when temperature are in the single digits (F). School fear getting sued if something happens is what lifelong locals tell me. [&:]

signed,
childhood spent in upstate New York and walked about a mile to elementary school

Growing up in Iowa, many rural districts would cancel school when my urban district did not. It was quite common.

There was a hard and fast rule for how cold it had to be for the urban district to cancel. If, at 5AM, the temperature was below -10' F or the wind chill below -30' F, there was no school.

Schools were cancelled around here today, and for tomorrow as well in some cases. The temperature is an issue. We only got 2 inches of snow, or thereabouts. People in these climes just don't have the necessary winter gear to deal with it and frostbite is a real risk.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 pm
by Aurorus
It was 38 degrees here today (Celcius): 100 degrees, Fahrenheit.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:56 am
by Chris21wen
In England, the sense of doom starts with the weather forecast and that's the four day one.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 am
by JeffroK
ORIGINAL: Aurorus

It was 38 degrees here today (Celcius): 100 degrees, Fahrenheit.

Gonna be hotter tomorrow, still talking 43deg C.....

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 am
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Here in NE corner of Tennessee we closed schools early today (after just 2 hours due to wind chill factor in afternoon) and most are closed tomorrow. Not because of snow this time, but because the little urchins cannot stand outside at 6am for the school bus when temperature are in the single digits (F). School fear getting sued if something happens is what lifelong locals tell me. [&:]

signed,
childhood spent in upstate New York and walked about a mile to elementary school

Growing up in Iowa, many rural districts would cancel school when my urban district did not. It was quite common.

There was a hard and fast rule for how cold it had to be for the urban district to cancel. If, at 5AM, the temperature was below -10' F or the wind chill below -30' F, there was no school.

Schools were cancelled around here today, and for tomorrow as well in some cases. The temperature is an issue. We only got 2 inches of snow, or thereabouts. People in these climes just don't have the necessary winter gear to deal with it and frostbite is a real risk.
Around here the rationale for school bus cancellations in rural areas during very cold conditions was that if the bus broke down or got stuck it could be a while before anyone came to rescue the kids. At that time there were no cell phones and farmers did not travel to town every day during winter. Whether the cancellation was really about caring for the kids or fear of getting sued is another discussion!

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:11 am
by geofflambert
Roseanne Roseannadanna: What's all this I hear about global warning? I went to Catholic school and I know all about the world being round so why do I need to be warned about globes? We had a globe that fell off the teacher's desk and rolled across the floor but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if it hit them.

Jane Curtin: Roseanne, dear, it's global warming, with an M. Now, just so you know, it's always cold somewhere and warm somewhere else.

Roseanne Roseannadanna: Oh, well, never mind.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 am
by Zorch
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Roseanne Roseannadanna: What's all this I hear about global warning? I went to Catholic school and I know all about the world being round so why do I need to be warned about globes? We had a globe that fell off the teacher's desk and rolled across the floor but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if it hit them.

Jane Curtin: Roseanne, dear, it's global warming, with an M. Now, just so you know, it's always cold somewhere and warm somewhere else.

Roseanne Roseannadanna: Oh, well, never mind.
"bitch".

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:47 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Roseanne Roseannadanna: What's all this I hear about global warning? I went to Catholic school and I know all about the world being round so why do I need to be warned about globes? We had a globe that fell off the teacher's desk and rolled across the floor but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if it hit them.

Jane Curtin: Roseanne, dear, it's global warming, with an M. Now, just so you know, it's always cold somewhere and warm somewhere else.

Roseanne Roseannadanna: Oh, well, never mind.
"bitch".

[&:] What warrants this epithet?

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:06 pm
by Lecivius
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Roseanne Roseannadanna: What's all this I hear about global warning? I went to Catholic school and I know all about the world being round so why do I need to be warned about globes? We had a globe that fell off the teacher's desk and rolled across the floor but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if it hit them.

Jane Curtin: Roseanne, dear, it's global warming, with an M. Now, just so you know, it's always cold somewhere and warm somewhere else.

Roseanne Roseannadanna: Oh, well, never mind.
"bitch".

[&:] What warrants this epithet?

It was part of the skit. Nothing personal [;)]

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:39 pm
by witpqs
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Roseanne Roseannadanna: What's all this I hear about global warning? I went to Catholic school and I know all about the world being round so why do I need to be warned about globes? We had a globe that fell off the teacher's desk and rolled across the floor but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if it hit them.

Jane Curtin: Roseanne, dear, it's global warming, with an M. Now, just so you know, it's always cold somewhere and warm somewhere else.

Roseanne Roseannadanna: Oh, well, never mind.
"bitch".

[&:] What warrants this epithet?
See if you can find some old clips on you-tube or someplace.

EDIT: I just remembered not all of those character's skits had that closing line, some had "never mind" so it depends on which clips you find.

RE: Snow Panic Scale

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:01 pm
by Zorch
ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Zorch



"bitch".

[&:] What warrants this epithet?
See if you can find some old clips on you-tube or someplace.

EDIT: I just remembered not all of those character's skits had that closing line, some had "never mind" so it depends on which clips you find.
It was funny the way Gilda said it. [;)]