Page 1 of 2
Olympics
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:50 am
by Zap
Beautiful opening ceremony well done South Korea.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 pm
by Zap
Orm I thought you would've commented with Sweden's good start.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:39 pm
by Vasquez
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm
by Zap
USA is underperforming so far.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36 am
by Zorch
I'm waiting for the women's beach volleyball. [:)]
Or this event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAic3SY6i_U
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm
by Mobius
You'd think beach volleyball would be at the summer Olympics.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:33 pm
by z1812
ORIGINAL: Zap
USA is underperforming so far.
Perhaps,other countries are just doing better at the moment.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm
by Zorch
ORIGINAL: Mobius
You'd think beach volleyball would be at the summer Olympics.
Darn! You mean I'm wasting my time? [&:]
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:05 pm
by Zap
True, historically we have been weak in several of the events. An example of under performing: In the ski board event four Americans entered one came out with one medal. Congratulations to the Norwegians capturing Gold, Silver, and Bronze in Cross Country skiing.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm
by Zap
I think I know why we possibly are performing less then stellar. After hearing an interview of a figure skater its obvious some of our athletes are not focused on the games. More interested in a Xanax and getting drunk
RE: Olympics
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm
by Neilster
If the Australian team is anything to go by, to be a Winter Olympian it's obligatory to have a completely stupid first name, like Kaiene, Jazmyne or some other made-up nonsense. At best it will actually be a surname turned into a first name. Also, in any interview, you have to sound like a drooling moron, with anything you say interspersed with "totally", "awesome", "yeeuuww" and stupid hand gestures [:'(]
Most people are seduced by the marquee events at the Summer Olympics like the 100m etc but forget that there are a tremendous amount of deadly dull ones like pistol shooting and the much maligned synchronised swimming. The "Modern" Pentathlon represents the skills of a 19th Century cavalry officer on the run behind enemy lines for goodness sake (fencing, swimming, riding an unfamiliar horse, shooting and running...actually, that's pretty cool and it's the only event where the horse gets a medal too).
I prefer the Winter games as there are a lot of gravity-powered events and cool physics. There was a time when Australian athletes were usually just making up the numbers, pluckily battling lack of money, distance, poor coaching etc and occasionally pulling off a good performance.
Now we're often a serious medal chance but it's had a disastrous effect on the TV coverage here, which has become almost hysterically jingoistic. Sports and athletes that no one gives a rat's arse about 99% of the time are built up to a ludicrous degree and if they don't perform as expected there's a palpable sense of let-down from the broadcaster.
Anyhoo, I'll probably be checking out our Kailani Craine in the figure-skating for some reason [;)]
Cheers, Neilster

RE: Olympics
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 am
by Zap
Women's figure skating is something any contributor to Australians Beauties should be watching with interest.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm
by Orm
ORIGINAL: Zap
Orm I thought you would've commented with Sweden's good start.
Yes, I should indeed have commented on the good start. I am sorry about that. [:(]
I noticed the thread on the opening day and didn't post because I didn't watch it. And because I am not in any olympic mood I rather abstained than make any negative comment. And despite that Sweden took another gold medal today I am still not in any positive olympic mood and have a hard time thinking positive thoughts about the olympic games.
[:(]
RE: Olympics
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 am
by Orm
Yesterday the Olympic feel returned as I watched Women's Curling. I am going to follow both the Men's and Women's curling as much as I can. [:)]
RE: Olympics
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 am
by Orm
And today I can not stop smiling for some reason. [:)] I must look really stupid. [:D]

RE: Olympics
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:37 pm
by Zap
ORIGINAL: Orm
And today I can not stop smiling for some reason. [:)] I must look really stupid. [:D]
There are some exciting events for sure. Curling, intense.[;)]
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:09 am
by Curtis Lemay
ORIGINAL: Zap
There are some exciting events for sure. Curling, intense.[;)]
I hear the betting is heavier that it was on the Super Bowl. But, of course, I don't live in Vegas, so I might be a little less informed than you.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:56 am
by rico21
4% of french people practise winter sport and 96% of Media TV talk on it.
As Pierre de Coubertin as not said " Important should be not participate!"
When Wargames Olympics?
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 am
by Zap
ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
ORIGINAL: Zap
There are some exciting events for sure. Curling, intense.[;)]
I hear the betting is heavier that it was on the Super Bowl. But, of course, I don't live in Vegas, so I might be a little less informed than you.
I have not heard that but it may be true. I searched all the local papers no articles to that. I would not doubt betting is heavy. Sports betting here is the preference of many a gambler.
we usually hear on the local news(TV) if betting reaches high levels.
Here's an example of betting odds for which country gets the most gold medals.
Norway -140
Germany +185
USA +550
Canada +1000
Netherlands +2200
Olympic Athletes of Russia +3300
France +5000
Republic Of Korea +6600
Austria +8000
Switzerland +8000
China +10000
Sweden +10000
Italy +25000
Japan +25000
Poland +35000
Finland +35000
For those that don't know the plus numbers would be what you would win if that country wins the most gold medals
So If Finland wins the most Gold Medals and you bet a dollar that Finland wins you you get 35000 dollars for every dollar you bet. Betting on Norway you have to make a bet of 150 dollars and you would get back your 150 dollars + 10 dollars.
RE: Olympics
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm
by warspite1
Lizzie Yarnold record breaker - first British athlete to win two medals at a Winter Olympics [:)]
