Page 1 of 8

BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 pm
by Kitakami
Ok...

This is not going to be the most brilliant AAR that has ever been written, not by a long shot. I do not have the time to make it so. But I will need all the help I can get, as I will be playing against John in his own mod, so any and all comments are more than welcome. In fact, I plead that you all comment and ask questions fairly often :)

I have definitely bitten more than I can chew, but I will play Between the Storms against John 3rd. He will play the Empire of the Rising Sun, and I will play the Allies. We are in the very initial stages of negotiating house rules, etc., so this will not start for a while, but I had a bit of time free and decided to at least start this. I do not know if we will play with the Yamato-class BBs or with the Owari-class BBs. I have let John choose. More surprise for the allies.

Also, many changes have come with the latest versions of BTS/BTSL. These are a few:

- IJA changeover to triangle Infantry divisions fully occurs allowing for three more ID to be created (1 in China, 1 in Manchuria, and 1 for Southern Army). This change weakens nine infantry divisions who lose their fourth regiment, but creates three more divisions, and the one thaat starts under Southern Army command might be troublesome from the start.
- The Lexington fighter squadron start with F4F-3a instead of Buffalo. To compensate, VMF-211 (Wake and Midway) lose their F4F-3a and revert to Buffalo. That means CAP over Wake and Midway is weaker, but the Lady Lex is better protected.
- A number of Dutch LCUs can now be bought out. The total is more than 25 at-start LCUs, although many of them are components of larger units.
- The 13th USA Arm Div that comes into play at the end of '42 can be bought out with PPs and sent into harm's way.
- The Chinese receive 350 infantry squads a month now.
- 300 Political Points (now 600 total) added to Allied starting number to allow more first-turn flexibility. Coupled with the increased PPs per turn, this makes for faster reinforcements.

The above are added to the Alt Hist that can be seen in the website. For those that do not know the mod, these are a few of the changes to the Allied OOB:

- New air units.
- Addition of training squadrons on mainland USA to allow for an American pilot training program.
- Enhanced aircraft production numbers.
- Additional Allied FP groups.
- New ground units.
- Additional New Zealand and Australian ships.
- A French Squadron at Tahiti.
- The CL Eendract for the DEI.
- A stronger Force Z.
- A CLAA conversion for the Omaha-CL class.
- An additional pair of USN CVLs.
- Optional conversion of the Kittyhawk Class AKV and Tangier Class AV into CVEs.

The Hepburn Board's recommendation to augmenting and expanding many Pacific Bases is heeded, and work is sped up at Wake, Midway, the Aleutians, and in the South Pacific. While work has just begun in many ways, these advances pose a tougher problem for Japan if she moves east or southeast.

- The British Asiatic Fleet is reinforced with a CA and 4 modern DDs
- The development of Cebu as an alternate anchorage has been started.
- The Scouting Force, commanded by Vc-Adm Wilson, is sent south to protect the ships helping to develop Pago Pago into a forward operating base.
- The Royal Navy moves Valiant and Queen Elizabeth from Home Fleet to Ceylon.
- HMS Renown reinforces Force Z.
- HMS Indomitable and her escorts also start at Ceylon.
- The 48th Gurkha Brigade is rushed into Singapore along with supplies and two dozen crated Hurricane Fighters. Unfortunately the other two brigades of the 17th Indian Division start in Karachi and Rangoon.

Although I mainly play the Japanese side, I have a 2-day per turn BTSL game running with Falken in which we are almost at the end of April '42, with me playing the Allies too. I have found that the Allies get much more stuff than I am comfortable facing as the Japanese, and have learned a lot. Let's see if that experience helps me with this game.

Will post more when John and I agree on House Rules.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:16 pm
by ny59giants
Outside of John, I probably know these mods best since I've been involved with them over the years in development and changes.

Of course I want you to defeat John as quickly, but with as much pain as possible.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pm
by Kitakami
ROFL!!!!

I wish I had such optimism! A question... besides what I posted above, what could I be missing? I am starting my pre-game notebook notes: IJN forces, IJA forces, then Allied forces. The IJN I know decently well. The new Japanese LCUs I need to locate. Then I need to re-check the Allied side of things, especially startup locations.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:20 pm
by Canoerebel
John is a superb opponent that makes for a great gaming ride. He's experienced and ridiculously aggressive. That means you've just stepped into the saddle on a bronco that likes bucking, twisting and turning. Settle in carefully and enjoy the ride. You'll have fun, you'll take some lumps, and you'll find ways to counter him when the times are right.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 pm
by Kitakami
I feel more like I am in the cockpit of an F-22... and alll the expierience I've had is flying a Cessna... once! ;p

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 pm
by DOCUP
This makes me happy. I hope you keep your other game updated as much as you can. Use his aggression against him.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:36 pm
by apbarog
Good luck Kitakami. The war is a 15 round fight. Let him come out swinging. Defend for awhile, counter punch when you can. Wear him down, and then finish him off. And have fun.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 pm
by witpqs
Best of luck! I follow this side, and since I know only a smattering of things (which you just covered already) about the mod I will be more in the dark than you are.

Be tough on house rules. I think the 4EB limitations that many players agree to (Dan/CanoeRebel and perhaps others of John's opponents, for example) are total nonsense. IMO the game engine has been improved enough they are not needed. With both land and shipboard flak improvements 4EB get attrited fast if used too low except against soft targets. And soft targets are... soft targets.

That is my first and possibly most important piece of advice.

Question for you and Michael. Those ships like the BB's which, in the list above, start at Colombo: do they still withdraw? With all the increases in IJN and some in Allied naval power I am wondering how withdrawals figure into things.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:07 pm
by Kitakami
@witpqs: The Valiant withdraws in 427 days, the Queen Elizabeth does not withdraw. The Indomitable withdraws in 591 days. All three are present for the critical year of 1942.

As for House Rules, we will see what we agree on. Communications in that regard have but started.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm
by BillBrown
I agree with witpqs, be hard on the house rules. I am one that thinks there are no house rules needed. But I also think I am in the minority on that.
I would not ever agree to any restrictions on Strategic bombing at all and none on 4 engine bombers.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:42 pm
by Kitakami
There are a few house rules I think make the game a bit more historical. I will let you know when the two of us finally agree on something :)

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:12 pm
by jwolf
ORIGINAL: Kitakami

There are a few house rules I think make the game a bit more historical. I will let you know when the two of us finally agree on something :)

I always find these reports about house rules ironically amusing. I imagine top level negotiators for each nation haggling over conditions for the horrible war they are about to fight as soon as the treaty is signed.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:33 am
by CaptBeefheart
Good luck! I look forward to reading this AAR. I would also caution against too many house rules. There are counters and opportunity costs associated with just about every tactic.

Cheers,
CC

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am
by Kitakami
The house rule set will probably be finished today, as I just sent a few tweaks to John. Interestingly, so you don't start ranting when you see them, the most restrictive ones were my suggestions, not John's. He only insisted on one, the last one. You will see soon.

On an entirely different topic, I have started to take a look at the OOB of both sides. They are very different from everything I have played up to this point, the BtS Lite Game I have running with Falken included. I am taking notes, and will post them here when I am finished.

Just a couple more days before turn one officially begins, I think.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:10 am
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Kitakami

The house rule set will probably be finished today, as I just sent a few tweaks to John. Interestingly, so you don't start ranting when you see them, the most restrictive ones were my suggestions, not John's. He only insisted on one, the last one. You will see soon.

On an entirely different topic, I have started to take a look at the OOB of both sides. They are very different from everything I have played up to this point, the BtS Lite Game I have running with Falken included. I am taking notes, and will post them here when I am finished.

Just a couple more days before turn one officially begins, I think.
If this mod is the one with CLVs, you should know that they are good for raiding and John does love raiding!

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 pm
by Kitakami
John is very, very aggressive, yes. I have followed his AARs on and off through the years. I wonder how best to capitalize on that. Use his strength against him.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:34 pm
by HansBolter
ORIGINAL: Kitakami

John is very, very aggressive, yes. I have followed his AARs on and off through the years. I wonder how best to capitalize on that. Use his strength against him.


Rope-a-Dope.

Let him raid.

Be ready to counterpunch the raiders.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:43 pm
by Kitakami
Yes... that will have to be it. Let him invade the Aleutians. Let him raid. Then look for the raiders with fleet carriers where Kido Butai is not. Good plan...

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:06 pm
by BillBrown
Any word on the HRs yet? I am most interested in them at this time.

RE: BTS/BTSL against John 3rd: What was Kitakami thinking?!?!?!?

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 am
by Kitakami
I am waiting for John to reply to my last email on that regard. If there is any objection from his part, it will come from me suggesting one particular rule, and then retracting it partially. My mind has not been as clear as I would wish in the last few weeks.

I will post the list here as soon as it is set in stone, but I will say that the last set did not include any strategic bombing curtailments.