Page 1 of 1
mining of ports
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:09 pm
by jjdenver
i've seen a few times in popups during scenarios a recommendation to mine enemy ports. Is this an action that's possible in the game? Or just chrome text?
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:43 am
by LordOfPants
Yes, you have to move a sub or surface ship into the shaded hexes near a US or Canadian port. The mining happens automatically if they end their turn there. You can only mine the spots specifically set up for mining, it's not a general option.
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 am
by bullet911
Has anyone put any considerable action into doing this? I can only think its not the smartest move to make and can say ive only ever done it if ive destroyed ALOT of the allied navy which has been few and far between, and even then im not sure if its made much significant difference
Is it worth the losses you’re likely to take in damaged subs and possibly loosing a couple completely?
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:02 am
by elxaime
I might try it if I knew what the cost benefits were. But presently, one has no clue. Do you get victory points? Does the port get damaged? I suppose you can hot seat and test. But would be nice to have a further explanation added, either in manual or event notification.
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 am
by Taxman66
It damages the ports/mines.
To try, just start a game against the AI.
Move the CA & Sub out in the Atlantic onto the cross-hex marked water hexes off Canada's coast.
You'll see little explosions at turn's end.
Turn off FOW to see the results.
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 am
by elxaime
Interesting...thanks. I would be curious to hear the design decision. Mining was widespread, including in the Mediterranean. The mechanic is potentially very powerful. On the other hand, the game scale and focus don't "mine down" (sorry) to the level of detail on such naval matters as games like WITP-AE.
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:10 pm
by Taxman66
I look at it as more of a super vulnerable raiding area more than an offensive mine field.
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:58 am
by jjdenver
so is it worth doing? seems like ending turn there tells allies exactly where to find your sub/ship so it's going to get dinged by coastal air or nearby allied naval units.
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 am
by LordOfPants
I think if you're not doing sealion it's a good use of the initial CA and SS that start near the US/Canada. The only UK units that start near North America are some DDs, which the CA will hurt pretty badly. Later on it seems like a good way to hurt an Allied opponent that keeps all their naval units in forward areas, I think it's more of a bonus for the axis being aggressive and penalty for Allies leaving space open than something you make a core strategy.
RE: mining of ports
Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:29 am
by Zuxius
I tried doing it early in game before England and France declared war. I boosted my fleet from port and clustered them all just east of Iceland. I then took the entire German fleet to the ports, stealth-fully. I let the subs take on the mine areas and waited with my surface ships for the Canadian destroyers to give chase. I figured this was a better use of my fleet than to have it lay low through the entire France 40. The player I was up against was not fooled at all. When the first British Battleship arrived, I was hosed. The subs did a bit of damage with the mining, but his destroyers only attacked from the ports, staying safe. Once all the capital ships came with destroyers, I remember trying to sneak away with what was left. The entire fleet was relentlessly hunted and sunk. I think one sub made it to a Spanish port, where destroyers were waiting just out of sight. Eventually that guy left port after an excruciating long wait...to get sunk just outside the port. Something like 6 destroyers pounded the sub.