Page 1 of 2

FBD Bug

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:44 pm
by Joneleth
Can anyone tell me why I cant repair this hex? Its in the baltics, its a continuation of a railroad line, its 6 Hexes from the railhead.


imgur dot com/a/IsZ6Fa0

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:46 am
by STEF78
you didn't use the right way to insert your picture

see below

Image


RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:34 am
by Telemecus
Embedded for Joneleth - I copied the right link from their imgur upload so they can see what needs to be done for here - hope this helps!

Image

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:46 pm
by Joneleth
ORIGINAL: STEF78

you didn't use the right way to insert your picture

see below


I cant insert embed or link pictures because my account is less than a week old.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:05 pm
by Denniss
Rail link to west is not visible so hard to tell what the issue may be.
Game version ?

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:41 pm
by Joneleth
ORIGINAL: Denniss

Rail link to west is not visible so hard to tell what the issue may be.
Game version ?

There is no rail link to the west, the rail is coming from Kaunas, the game version is 1.11.00

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:40 pm
by Denniss
I count 7 yellow hexes between your position and last working rail hex so you were lucky to even reach this position. Offrail hex calc must be wrong.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:52 pm
by Joneleth
ORIGINAL: Denniss

I count 7 yellow hexes between your position and last working rail hex so you were lucky to even reach this position. Offrail hex calc must be wrong.

The range requirements doesnt follow the railroad line, it goes in bird flight line. I could have repaired 20 hexes as long as they all are 6 range from a railhead.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:06 am
by Telemecus
Was the rail in the hex one to the east of Kaunas repaired this turn or last turn?

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:44 pm
by Joneleth
ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Was the rail in the hex one to the east of Kaunas repaired this turn or last turn?

This turn.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 pm
by Telemecus
That might be the problem. If Kaunas is not repaired last turn but only this turn, and similarly for the hex south east of Kaunas, then there is no rail line already repaired within 6 hexes this turn?

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:20 pm
by Joneleth
ORIGINAL: Telemecus

That might be the problem. If Kaunas is not repaired last turn but only this turn, and similarly for the hex south east of Kaunas, then there is no rail line already repaired within 6 hexes this turn?

Kaunas was repaired last turn and is the rail head, as you can see in the pop up window the hex in question is within 6 range of Kaunas and should thus be eligible for repair.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am
by Joneleth
Anyone?

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:54 pm
by Michael T
The range requirements doesnt follow the railroad line, it goes in bird flight line. I could have repaired 20 hexes as long as they all are 6 range from a railhead.

It doesn't work that way. I spent many hours back in the day optimizing rail conversion. You can only squeeze in an extra hex here and there these days. When the game first came out and for a while after, you could do stuff like you describe. But the devs cleaned it up a lot since then. These days there is not a lot of juice left in the rail conversion process.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:15 pm
by DeletedUser1769703214
ORIGINAL: Michael T
The range requirements doesnt follow the railroad line, it goes in bird flight line. I could have repaired 20 hexes as long as they all are 6 range from a railhead.

It doesn't work that way. I spent many hours back in the day optimizing rail conversion. You can only squeeze in an extra hex here and there these days. When the game first came out and for a while after, you could do stuff like you describe. But the devs cleaned it up a lot since then. These days there is not a lot of juice left in the rail conversion process.

Michael is correct that they cleaned a great deal up of the silliness early on in WITE. I remember them well. But so is the snippet on what Michaels reply is on that poster is correct too. The delimiting factor is the FBD's to convert such hexes in the Baltic States (I am assuming that is where it is at since 6 range was said (you can even get 7 hexes converted in a few places at times which I have posted a few times in my AAR's on that). But that poster is 100% correct that he could have repaired 20 hexes if they were contiguous connected rail hexes all within the range of the railhead in any direction as the delimiting factors. Unfortunately, you don't have the luxury of a lot of FBD's to do such acts and most times Germans are sending these FBD's as fast as possible east.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm
by Joneleth
ORIGINAL: Michael T
The range requirements doesnt follow the railroad line, it goes in bird flight line. I could have repaired 20 hexes as long as they all are 6 range from a railhead.

It doesn't work that way. I spent many hours back in the day optimizing rail conversion. You can only squeeze in an extra hex here and there these days. When the game first came out and for a while after, you could do stuff like you describe. But the devs cleaned it up a lot since then. These days there is not a lot of juice left in the rail conversion process.

Cleaned up how? I dont mind they change the mechanics but what are the rules for rail repair then? Because its not 6 rail hexes in a continiously line, i have 8 in that picture, and it cant be range from railhead because both the one i cant repair and the one i did repair is same range away. So what exactly are the rules for rail repair?

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:05 pm
by Michael T
I don't know. I tried to reverse engineer the algorithm they must use but I could not figure it all out completely. Suffice to day that it is pointless placing two FBD's on a single line anymore, which I believe was the intent of the devs.

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 pm
by Denniss
I seed 4! FBDs within two hexes - someone tried turbo conversion to reach Leningrad early ?

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:46 pm
by Michael T
I am thinking this must be a test case and not from a real game. Surely?

RE: FBD Bug

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:34 am
by Joneleth
ORIGINAL: Michael T

I am thinking this must be a test case and not from a real game. Surely?

Yea its a test game, but it seems very arbitrary when you can convert 6 or when you can convert 7 or 8. I was hoping for some consistency.