Page 1 of 1

What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm
by rustysi
This one has been on my mind for a while now. The Japanese production page shows this weapon being produced. It has a production level of 9, and is produced from the beginning of the CG. I've got 126 of these sitting in the pool, yet I can't find a unit that uses them.

Anyone have any knowledge about this weapon and where/when it may be used?

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm
by geofflambert
It's probably an upgrade weapon, maybe replacing a 25mm but I bet it is for ship upgrades.

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm
by rustysi
About anything is possible. As for ship upgrades I've looked at bunches of 'em all through their upgrade path and haven't noticed seeing the weapon. Doesn't mean I haven't just simply missed it.

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 pm
by GetAssista
Probably a hat tip to the famous German https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.7_cm_Flak_18/36/37/43 with plans to include it as licensed production? The plans were probably scrapped at some point, because the gun is not in any upgrade path in stock, and I don't see it in the TOEs.

Edit: Japan did not have 37mm AA in reality so that's why the scrappage methinks

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 pm
by PaxMondo
ORIGINAL: GetAssista

...I don't see it in the TOEs.

+1

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:41 am
by RichardAckermann
I may take a look into this. My own project has a tool that outputs all users of a device in question, ship classes, AC, locations.

Is it a stock scenario?
Do you have a specific slot #? Some devices are unused dulicates.

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 am
by RichardAckermann
Shipclass 1985 Type Yu SST is using a 37mm type 4 AAA in the stock scenarios I looked in.

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 am
by GetAssista
ORIGINAL: RichardAckermann
Shipclass 1985 Type Yu SST is using a 37mm type 4 AAA in the stock scenarios I looked in.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_3_su ... rt_vehicle
Interesting. Looks like those were transport subs built by the IJ Army, and the gun in question seems to be the shipboard 37mm AT gun, with no real AA capability. Later models of Army transport subs included 47mm AT gun (your good old upgrade of the 37mm AT) and a bunch of your good old 20mm AA.

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 am
by RichardAckermann
Thnks for the wiki link. I am not perfectly sure right now, but I think to remember the device in the game to have a ceiling.
The mount is fore, but the picture shows a gun in the rear top of the conning tower.

RE: What's with the Japanese 37mm Type4 AAA?

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm
by rustysi
OK, no big deal here, just curious. Thanks for all the info/responses.[:)]