A win, finally...plus some queries...
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:58 pm
I've been playing the little ready-made night attack scenario, Winter Desolation, as Finns. Excellent scenario for beginners to learn, I think. After around 10 abandoned tries, learning the hard way all along, I finally won. But only by giving my Finns a maxed out morale and training advantage. So the AI must be pretty decent, I conclude. My losses - around 40 troops and 10 vehicles, against soviet 240 and 40 vehicles. So more or less what I've come to expect from Cold War engagements.
A few observations/suggestions about things that seemed unusual or puzzling:
1. The soviet BTR152APC seemed impervious to prolonged 7.62mm MG fire at any range. A couple of minutes of fire poured into it from multiple units never produced damage, as far as I recall. Is this correct? Surely the tires should go, at least, immobilizing it?
2. Combat was a very static affair. Once units got engaged they just seemed to remain where they were, pouring fire into each other. Maybe my setting Finnish morale so high didn't help, since they seem to have become almost suicidal, and never retreated. But the other side was the same. Is this correct? They don't assess the fight and decide if they should back-off?
3. Once all units were unloaded and engaged I found it very hard to identify which formations units belonged to, especially if they were in woods on the normal map. Much easier on the paper map. The only sure way was to click each unit and read off which formation it belonged to. I wonder if the highlighting could be more aggressive? Even better - user configurable? I am red/green colour blind (though not badly) and I'm sure this contributes. But many men are colour blind so any help with user-configurable colours/highlights etc is always very welcome.
4. Because you can only modify (with formation, SOP etc) per command chain, not per waypoint, all sorts of difficulties arise. But one stood out for me. So, if I want a formation to move asap down a road I have to give it modifiers that ensure it uses the road in an orderly way (not too close spacing, column etc), but if I want it to unload at the end, and hence make the last waypoint an unload command, those same modifiers will apply to the unload command too. Which seems to mean, as its implemented, that as soon as the first unit reaches the unload waypoint ALL units in the formation unload, wherever they are. And they can by this point be quite widely spread out. Whereas what I wanted was for them all to unload very near the unload waypoint (not round the corner 200m away, useless without a further delayed order...) I assume if I could attach different modifiers to the unload order (close spacing, line etc) then I might get what I want. So I hope this ability - to issue modifiers per waypoint - is somewhere in the pipeline. But meanwhile, could the code not be developed to make it the case that on an unload command the trigger to unload isn't that the first vehicle has reached the unload waypoint, but that all vehicles are near to it (or unload one by one as they get near to it)? This should not apply to emergency on-contact unloads, of course. Has no one else noticed this feature, I wonder? Maybe I'm wrong, but I mention it for consideration.
5. I had a CTD about once every other game (in win 10). Not bad for new game, and sadly none of them were replicable.
All in all, very enjoyable and immersive though. Hats off to Veitikka! And thanks! I hope it sells well and continues to develop.
A few observations/suggestions about things that seemed unusual or puzzling:
1. The soviet BTR152APC seemed impervious to prolonged 7.62mm MG fire at any range. A couple of minutes of fire poured into it from multiple units never produced damage, as far as I recall. Is this correct? Surely the tires should go, at least, immobilizing it?
2. Combat was a very static affair. Once units got engaged they just seemed to remain where they were, pouring fire into each other. Maybe my setting Finnish morale so high didn't help, since they seem to have become almost suicidal, and never retreated. But the other side was the same. Is this correct? They don't assess the fight and decide if they should back-off?
3. Once all units were unloaded and engaged I found it very hard to identify which formations units belonged to, especially if they were in woods on the normal map. Much easier on the paper map. The only sure way was to click each unit and read off which formation it belonged to. I wonder if the highlighting could be more aggressive? Even better - user configurable? I am red/green colour blind (though not badly) and I'm sure this contributes. But many men are colour blind so any help with user-configurable colours/highlights etc is always very welcome.
4. Because you can only modify (with formation, SOP etc) per command chain, not per waypoint, all sorts of difficulties arise. But one stood out for me. So, if I want a formation to move asap down a road I have to give it modifiers that ensure it uses the road in an orderly way (not too close spacing, column etc), but if I want it to unload at the end, and hence make the last waypoint an unload command, those same modifiers will apply to the unload command too. Which seems to mean, as its implemented, that as soon as the first unit reaches the unload waypoint ALL units in the formation unload, wherever they are. And they can by this point be quite widely spread out. Whereas what I wanted was for them all to unload very near the unload waypoint (not round the corner 200m away, useless without a further delayed order...) I assume if I could attach different modifiers to the unload order (close spacing, line etc) then I might get what I want. So I hope this ability - to issue modifiers per waypoint - is somewhere in the pipeline. But meanwhile, could the code not be developed to make it the case that on an unload command the trigger to unload isn't that the first vehicle has reached the unload waypoint, but that all vehicles are near to it (or unload one by one as they get near to it)? This should not apply to emergency on-contact unloads, of course. Has no one else noticed this feature, I wonder? Maybe I'm wrong, but I mention it for consideration.
5. I had a CTD about once every other game (in win 10). Not bad for new game, and sadly none of them were replicable.
All in all, very enjoyable and immersive though. Hats off to Veitikka! And thanks! I hope it sells well and continues to develop.