Page 1 of 1

Board games not dead

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:16 pm
by Schani59
Board games are not dead.
Just purchased three. An old revamped solitaire SPI game Operation Olympic. Now Operations
Olympic & Coronet by Decision Games about $47.00. A folio Game. They must have acquired the rights to the old SPI
games.
Also bought Last Battle Ie Shima, 1945 by Revolution Games. Another folio game. based on Avalon Hills Turning Point
Stalingrad Turn and map system, area rather than a hex based game. Fun. Small game with a 17x22 map, few counters
and simple rules. $30.00.
Finally another.
Decision Games (an original series) D-Day at Iwo Jima. About $75.00. Another solitaire game. One of a series of four.
D-Day at Omaha Beach,D-Day at Tarawa and D-Day at Peleliu. All Solitaire. Rules are quite complex though. Find them
on the Noble Knights Games website. Takes a bit to search but a hell of a lot of old favorite games and SPI folio
games. The Decision Games area is where I found the best. Some folios as low as $11.00.
Neat Stuff. Just thought I would share.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 pm
by Schani59
Oops! Meant to put this on the main forum. Sorry about that.[8|]

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 pm
by rustysi
Thanks.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 pm
by Dante Fierro
I agree, board games definitely not dead.

On the other hand, I doubt there is a board game that does all that AE simulates. There are unique advantages to a computer processing turns - FOW, movement simultaneity, detailed calculations, minute details of combat interactions, etc.

Why both are good.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 pm
by Schani59
Operational level solitaire works best. AE could never be recreated in that genre. Some old board games are on Vassal and work well on the computer. Avalon Hills Turning Point Stalingrad and the solitaire games Tokyo Express and Carrier are great on the computer.
Love it that new solitaire games are coming out.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 pm
by panzer cat
We have a couple of strong war game groups here in RVA.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:25 pm
by Schani59
ORIGINAL: panzer cat

We have a couple of strong war game groups here in RVA.
Nice. Surprised not one up here. But with the artic weather pattern like now no one really wants to venture out.
-22F last night. -4F right now our temp for the day.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:50 pm
by Uncivil Engineer
ORIGINAL: Dante Fierro

I agree, board games definitely not dead.

On the other hand, I doubt there is a board game that does all that AE simulates. There are unique advantages to a computer processing turns - FOG, movement simultaneity, detailed calculations, minute details of combat interactions, etc.

Why both are good.

Not to mention with everything in computer memory there's no worry about the cat walking across the board!!

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm
by Uncivil Engineer
And I just checked - I have Operation Olympic in the closet (along with a bunch of other stuff).

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm
by Mike Solli
Been playing boardgames since 1970. Still play them today. I play test for a company called The Gamers usually twice a week. Very nice stuff.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:10 pm
by Zorch
Anyone who thinks board games are dead hasn't been to https://boardgamegeek.com/
[:D]

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 pm
by Dante Fierro
ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer


Not to mention with everything in computer memory there's no worry about the cat walking across the board!!

[:D] Ha ha. Apparently I'm not the only one who struggles with a cat on the loose. I came up with an ad hoc cover of cardboard, taped pieces of foam and an extra plexiglass over the cardboard. Saw someone who constructed a mesh.

But still hooked on counters and hexes. Although all my counters are clipped, and very carefully placed on the map. 0.o

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:35 pm
by Dante Fierro
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Been playing boardgames since 1970. Still play them today. I play test for a company called The Gamers usually twice a week. Very nice stuff.

I was hooked when one day, just after classes ended in Everett Junior High, SF - I saw two students and a small crowd playing some hex and counter game in an open classroom, in 1973? 1974? The game was Avalon Hill's France 1940.

Don't know why. I mean war isn't anything to get excited over, I'd never actually want to be in one knowing just how much death and destruction it brings (but I respect the Vets who do serve).

But the strategy involved, the logistics, the beauty of the machines of destruction ... is oddly alluring. And the Pacific War offers a wide range of it all.


RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:06 pm
by casmithasl
Just returned from Winter Offensive, an MMP primarily Advanced Squad Leader tournament. There were over 150 gamers there. Boardgames are definitely not dead.

RE: Board games not dead

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 am
by Oerty1
Board games not dead!

I´m in a private developer Team for a new Bord-Game.

Based on WWII, German Attack on Russia: Red Horizont 41, Assault Games
We at the Moment on Search for a Publisher.
There are interessted People in a new System, so BG not dead.

Sorry for bad English