Page 1 of 1

Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:24 am
by Javolenus
Generated a night-time scenario: Yugoslavia v. Italy & gave both sides helicopter gunships & AA units. I played as Yugoslavia. When the scenario starts, the game prompts the player to add positions & TRPs for the helicopters, and so I did this.

As the scenario continued, the AI deployed its helicopters and they fired at my units. Although I have AA units, they do not fire at the enemy helicopters.

Later, I decide to call in my own helicopters, and they arrive on the map, and fly to their positions. But they do not fire at the nearby enemy ground units. They just hover above them.

My ground units can see the enemy ground units and are firing. But my helicopters, which are right above the enemy units, are not firing. And then the AI's AA units shoot my helicopters down.

Well, I replayed this scenario several times, and always with the same result regarding helicopters.

How do I make my Helicopters fire at nearby enemies?

How do I make my AA units fire at the AI's helicopters?

Why are AI's helicopters & AA able to spot & kill my units, but mine are not able?

RE: Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:40 am
by Javolenus
… And so I created a new, daytime scenario, in order to test performance of helicopters. Again, Yugoslavia v. Italy.

This time, I gave myself Mech HQ & Mech Infantry platoon and helicopter gunships, and I gave the AI Mech HQ and 2 Mech Infantry platoons but no helicopters or AA assets. This is what happened:

The AI units approached the Objective, spotted my units, and began firing. I called in helicopter gunships, which approached the battle area containing AI units. Immediately, one of my helicopters was "hit" and left the map. The remaining helicopter did nothing. A few minutes later it was hit and killed.

RE: Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:38 am
by nikolas93TS
What helicopter units have you used?

RE: Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:09 am
by Javolenus
Hi & thanks for reply.

The helicopter I used appears in the list of Yugoslav units as "HN-42M GAMA" and is described as a "gunship", so I had assumed it could at least fire an MG at ground troops ...

I just googled this aircraft & found its role described as "anti-aircraft".

Hmm, I had assumed (when generating the mission) that if a chopper is described as a "gunship" in the game, then it could be used against ground units?

RE: Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:50 pm
by nikolas93TS
Those are missile-only armed and can engage only vehicles (but also aircraft in case of GAMA). The term "helicopter gunship" is commonly used to describe armed helicopters.

There are some armed scout helicopters, but classify them all as scouts. You should always check the armament to see what flight is best adapted to expected role and mission.

RE: Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:40 pm
by Javolenus
Many thanks for this. OK--now I understand. In future I will check armaments, not just name in list. :-)

RE: Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:37 am
by Rosseau
Weapon type: 176, Ammo type: 166; and yes it is cheating and fun [;)]

RE: Helicopter Gunships

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 am
by Javolenus
Ha! ;-)