Page 1 of 5

New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:56 pm
by Rusty1961
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7HnS-t ... ttmC9Q2Hl8

Told you so. Hollywood is incapable of making a war movie any more. I'm sure you people will see the parallels to another movie.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:56 pm
by Rusty1961
Check out Tae Guk Gi to see a war movie done properly.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:10 pm
by mind_messing
It's a Roland Emmerich film. It's going to be massively over-the-top and just a little bit silly.

That said, I'm excited for it. It's not Tora, Tora, Tora!, but understanding that it's not trying to be is important :)

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:29 pm
by Canoerebel
It looks awful. The only way I'll see it is if this Forum, which is populated by men who's judgment counts (except for the 1% who are trolls), overwhelmingly endorse it. Based on what I've seen thus far, I can't imagine that'll be the case.

From this trailer it looks like 2 million Japanese fighters are coming to strafe Midway, perfectly space in some kind of The War of the Worlds formation, and that planes are flying in formation at 600 miles an hour while attacking ships. From an earlier trailer, I recall a PBY that was making about 450 miles an hour.

Hollywood has gotten stuff right in the past. There is enormous talent there. But mostly it's horrible.

Nolan really tried with Dunkirk. It was artfully made, beautiful, and endeavored to be accurate. For me, the fatal flaw was the confusing timeline that made it so difficult to follow. But it was a worthwhile effort.

This movie? Arg, I think.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm
by btd64
I would see it for the FX. Not for the historical point of view. Yes it looks awful in terms of being over the top....GP

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:55 pm
by Anachro
ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Check out Tae Guk Gi to see a war movie done properly.

A fun movie, but very sappy, sensationalist, and completely unrealistic. Melodramatic to the extreme, which is par for the course for a lot of Asian movies. I wouldn't consider it a good war movie, but it is a fun movie.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:59 pm
by Anachro
Holy moly, I started off watching this trailer. Heh, looks a bit unrealistic, CGI is kind of sub-par, wow those are some dramatic over-the-top PH scenes, but then it showed the unbelievable swarm of planes approaching Midway island. What a joke. I'll still watch it though, but it will probably be bad. That said, CGI is CGI, the story, if done well, can make up or the over-the-top aspects.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:10 pm
by Canoerebel
What happened with CGI? It got better and better, back in the late 1900s (that sounds weird) and early 2000s, but since then seems to have regressed. Explosions are nearly always unbelievable and silly. Aircraft flight is poorly modeled (perhaps intentionally for dramatic effect). Overall, CGI makes movies look like pretty poor video games.

As a for instance, the Lord of the Rings trilogy of the early 2000s used a lot of CGI that looked pretty darned spectacular.

Mad Max (of about four years ago) eschewed CGI and used the real things - cars in spectacular crashes, explosions, etc. - and it made a huge difference in the quality of the flick.

P.S. I apologize for immediately hijacking this thread. I'll cease and desist.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:17 pm
by Uncivil Engineer
ORIGINAL: Anachro

Holy moly, I started off watching this trailer. Heh, looks a bit unrealistic, CGI is kind of sub-par, wow those are some dramatic over-the-top PH scenes, but then it showed the unbelievable swarm of planes approaching Midway island. What a joke. I'll still watch it though, but it will probably be bad. That said, CGI is CGI, the story, if done well, can make up or the over-the-top aspects.

Story? You expect a story? It'll be a bunch of sap.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm
by MakeeLearn
Lurid.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:29 pm
by mind_messing
As an interesting side-thought, if this forum (as a collective) was to direct a war film about the Pacific theatre, it would bomb (no pun intended) at the box office.

I'm envisioning it as a "12 Angry Men" rip-off, except rather than argue for guilt or innocence in a courtroom trial, it's JFB's and AFB's deciding if the Yamato or Iowa would win in a fight.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm
by Anachro
Well there is no argument there. Iowa would win the fight, on average of course. [:D]

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:50 pm
by Canoerebel
Wouldn't the argument be whether the Bismarck was sunk or scuttled?

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 pm
by Yaab
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

What happened with CGI? It got better and better, back in the late 1900s (that sounds weird) and early 2000s, but since then seems to have regressed. Explosions are nearly always unbelievable and silly. Aircraft flight is poorly modeled (perhaps intentionally for dramatic effect). Overall, CGI makes movies look like pretty poor video games.

As a for instance, the Lord of the Rings trilogy of the early 2000s used a lot of CGI that looked pretty darned spectacular.

Mad Max (of about four years ago) eschewed CGI and used the real things - cars in spectacular crashes, explosions, etc. - and it made a huge difference in the quality of the flick.

P.S. I apologize for immediately hijacking this thread. I'll cease and desist.

- The are taking the hobbits to Umurbrogol!

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:36 pm
by Yaab
ORIGINAL: mind_messing

As an interesting side-thought, if this forum (as a collective) was to direct a war film about the Pacific theatre, it would bomb (no pun intended) at the box office.

I'm envisioning it as a "12 Angry Men" rip-off, except rather than argue for guilt or innocence in a courtroom trial, it's JFB's and AFB's deciding if the Yamato or Iowa would win in a fight.

It would be a total rip-off of other films.

- I love the smell of avgas in the afternoon on Zuikaku!

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 pm
by rustysi
From the looks of the trailer I think I shall pass.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:13 pm
by rustysi
As an interesting side-thought, if this forum (as a collective) was to direct a war film about the Pacific theatre, it would bomb (no pun intended) at the box office.

No doubt. Who wants to watch an excruciatingly long film with all that history.[8|]

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:23 pm
by mind_messing
ORIGINAL: rustysi
As an interesting side-thought, if this forum (as a collective) was to direct a war film about the Pacific theatre, it would bomb (no pun intended) at the box office.

No doubt. Who wants to watch an excruciatingly long film with all that history.[8|]

The opening act is four hours long and follows the main Japanese character through his birth, childhood, entrance into the navy, his pilot training.

Act two is also four hours and covers is service in China...

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:30 pm
by Yaab
Rumour has it, Ben Affleck will land his B-26 Marauder "Susie-Q Bimbo Akimbo" on Akagi, storm the ship's island with his crew, retrieve the latest PURPLE codebook and fly way.

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:52 pm
by Canoerebel
Apparently there are two awful-CGI movies coming about Midway.

[&:]




Image