Page 1 of 1
WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:16 am
by Neilster
I've never seen any WW1 gun camera before. I combined 5 stills into a GIF.

RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:35 pm
by Toby42
I wonder who was shooting who?
RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:45 pm
by ncc1701e
Good question. On the second picture, I am under the impression that the plane is upside down. And, still on this picture, it looks like a S.E.5.
https://youtu.be/Nl8R6q9zhTc
RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:31 pm
by Zorch
Looks like a Swordfish carrying a Mark 14 torpedo to me (Mr. Rorschach).
RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm
by Neilster
ORIGINAL: ncc1701e
Good question. On the second picture, I am under the impression that the plane is upside down. And, still on this picture, it looks like a S.E.5.
https://youtu.be/Nl8R6q9zhTc
It's upside-down in the first image too. It quite possibly is an S.E.5. Trust the dastardly Hun to have developed gun cameras [;)]
RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:37 pm
by deeter
SE5s do not have two sets of inter-plane struts. Among fighters, SPADs and Dolphins do. Many two-seaters do as well.
RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:34 pm
by lecrop
Nice find. Quite possibly upside-down, but IMHO not a SE5...

RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:06 pm
by Orm
ORIGINAL: Neilster
ORIGINAL: ncc1701e
Good question. On the second picture, I am under the impression that the plane is upside down. And, still on this picture, it looks like a S.E.5.
https://youtu.be/Nl8R6q9zhTc
It's upside-down in the first image too. It quite possibly is an S.E.5. Trust the dastardly Hun to have developed gun cameras [;)]
I do not think it is upside down in the first image. This after comparing picture 1 and 2. Although I could be fooled by the angle.
RE: WW1 gun camera GIF
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:19 pm
by operating
Doubt it was a nose mounted gun camera, likely a 2 seater observer plane with over the side hand held camera. The manual click and roll speed of the camera film and the movement of aircraft (likely a barrel-roll) made this sequence of shots. The below aircraft image has 4 struts on either side like in gif. It looks like a fuel tank explosion. Too bad there was not a clear view of landing gear..
