Page 1 of 1

No sound-ee card, no play-ee game?

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 8:00 pm
by GrinningDwarf
Having so much fun with this game at home, I took it to work to put on my computer there. (Hey! It gets slow here on night shifts!!)

I don't have a sound card on that computer, and when I installed it, a message popped up that said it might not run correctly. The installation then completes successfully. Sure enough, though, when I try to start the game I go from the game menu to the SSI/Matrix logo screens, but then get kicked back to the game menu screen every time.

Any ideas? This will be the first game I've experienced that won't run without a sound card (not that I have lotsa experience, but I've run about 5 or 6 other games through that 'puter without a problem).

If it just isn't supposed to run w/o a sound card, could this be changed in some future patch?

BTW...the processor is a Pentium MMX. I'm not sure how fast it is (I think the min. for SP:WaW is 90 MHz), but it runs Star Fleet Command, which has lotsa involved graphics.

[This message has been edited by GrinningDwarf (edited November 10, 2000).]

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 8:28 pm
by Viriato
Hello all , add the same problem of GrinningDwarf ( Cool to know that there's another nut working night shifts and trying to play SPWAW ), in my job the PC isn't bad but doesn't has a sound card , add the same exact problem , after SSI/Matrix logo screens the Pc goes back to windows ... PLEASE HELP US BOTH ...

------------------
A sorte protege os audazes

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 9:48 pm
by Don
There have been topics on this before, and if I remember correctly the game will not run without a sound card.

Try searching the forum for past posts, and look on the "Tech Help" forum.

Sorry guys,

Don

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 9:51 pm
by GrinningDwarf
Thanks, Don.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 11:07 pm
by Greybear
No playee without soundee card! It's was worse (maybe?) in the earlier versions. THe installer would not even run. A full cd burn and copy gets a crash after the SSI splash screen.
I want the same thing, to play SPWAW on my no sound workstation at work.
Sorry, no good news. But it has always been that way.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 12:42 am
by BlitzSS
Looks like SPWAW roots are embedded in the SSI engine which, for all its games originating in the DOS world has always required sound, as everyone has already pointed out. However, the good news is that although it requires one it doesn’t require anything fancy. I’ve seen sound cards brand new for a few bucks. I know I’d invest that much to play SPWAW for a living. I wonder if my boss knows I usually keep Forum up?

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 1:06 am
by GrinningDwarf
Originally posted by BlitzSS:
I know I’d invest that much to play SPWAW for a living.
I guess I would, too, if I could do it for a living. However, I feel I'm already pushing the envelope with...mmmm...'extra' software installed on my machine. I'm not ready to try 'extra' hardware, too. Then I would have to find a way to play the game for a living! Image