Page 1 of 1
WWII Memorial Controversy
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 3:00 am
by jpkeenan
Just saw a news story on the NBC nightly news in which there is a group that has organized to BLOCK the building of the WWII memorial on the memorial plaza in Washington DC. They are saying that the memorial will DETRACT from the other memorials and RUIN the mall. The generation that fought and died in that war was truly the GREATEST generation, and that time period was IMHO the absolute peak of the American experience. I just can't belive there are those who think that this beautiful memorial to those who saved the world will DETRACT from the beauty of the mall. Thank you to all of that generation whose sacrifices allow us to live as we do today.
There, I feel better!
JPKeenan
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 3:57 am
by Huffy
I did not see that...probly better I didn't...just hearing about it angered me enough...hopfully they will just dismiss them and go ahead with it...
Hopfully it will get built before all the WW2 vets are gone. My sons school is doing fund raisers for it ...they have gotten about 1,000.00 for it already.
Huffy
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 4:15 am
by jpkeenan
This group HAS filed a lawsuit to block construction. Probably won't win it, but as usual, will cause delays and we are losing 1000 WWII vets each day that deserve this memorial before they are all gone!
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 4:29 am
by GrinningDwarf
Originally posted by jpkeenan:
They are saying that the memorial will DETRACT from the other memorials and RUIN the mall.
Inserts tongue in cheek Didn't they say the same thing about the Washington Monument?
Removes tongue from cheek
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 5:22 am
by Don
The story I saw on this -on NBC- gave me a completely different impression. The people who are unhappy (includes WW2 vets) want it built, but not in that location because (in their opinion) it will be "crammed" in between two other monuments.
In fact, they were holding signs that said "Right Time - Wrong Place".
In the story I saw no one said anything about the memorial detracting from the rest of the mall - someone would have to be ready for a world of crap if they say that.
Hopefully they'll get it built in the near future.
Don
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 6:43 am
by jpkeenan
Here is an excerpt from the CNN web site . I cut and pasted it directly from the news story.
At Thursday's 10-hour hearing, critics argued that the design of the new memorial was confusing and that the structure would mar the views of the famed memorials honoring Abraham Lincoln and George Washington across the grassy expanse of the National Mall.
"Who would history blame for the unspeakably confused set of half-baked notions before you that pass for a memorial?" said a leading opponent, Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia's non-voting delegate to Congress
This is the attitude of many of those opposed to the WWII monument. They are not only protesting the location, but the design as well. My fear is long delays in its construction.
JPKeenan
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 7:02 am
by Don
When they say "mar the views", they are just saying it's going in the wrong location. If some don't like the design, that's too bad, because I'm sure it won't please everyone.
But I'm not suprised by all this - this is America, land of the protest, the lawsuit and people who find election ballots confusing!
I doubt you can get get anything, anywhere built without someone protesting it in some way.
Like you, JP, I hope they just get it done!
Don
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 5:03 am
by Billy Yank
There's also the problem that they short-circuited some of the legal steps. The approval process for the memorial was kind of under-the-table.
------------------
Billy Yank
I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 4:28 am
by Warrior
The best memorial I know of is a personal "thank you". I saw a guy and his wife in a restaurant one time, and he was wearing an 82nd Airborne jacket. He was obviously of the right generation, and I asked him if he was in the 82nd during WWII. When he said yes, I told him I just wanted to thank him for what he had done. I think he was pleased. I totally agree the WWII vets deserve a memorial, but that's what I always considered the statue of raising the flag over Iwo Jima.