Page 1 of 2

OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:55 pm
by adarbrauner

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:11 pm
by Yaab
Scratch one forehead!

Seems like ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) is finally realeasing 3D models. To war!

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:16 pm
by adarbrauner
ORIGINAL: Yaab
Seems like ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) is finally realeasing 3D models. To war!

??????

ONI??

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 pm
by Yaab

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:02 pm
by dr.hal
WOW!

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:05 pm
by Major Shane
Can anyone tell me what the bars with chains hanging down from them are for? They are near the bow of the ship.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:17 pm
by geofflambert
Are you talking about the ladders?

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 pm
by geofflambert
The lines I think are for men who can go up and down faster with just their arms and hands.

Image

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 pm
by Major Shane
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The lines I think are for men who can go up and down faster with just their arms and hands.

Image

Ok, so I'm an Army guy. What's the purpose of the bar/spar, that the ropes and ladders are attached too?

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 pm
by dr.hal
If I recall correctly the chain hanging down was to attach the sea painter of the small boat that was attempting to "land" there. But I could be wrong. There is an old navy saying of grappling the chains when in a small boat coming along side a larger craft....IIRC.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:59 pm
by Ian R


The font/layout used in those reminds me of the period Jane's books. Probably not a coincidence.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:03 pm
by dr.hal
If you notice that the boom has fore and aft lines that would swing the boom along side of the ship. This would then bring the small boat alongside once "chained on" and the ladder would be "inside" the small boat but also alongside of the battleship. The crew of the small boat would then simple climb up and step aboard. Simple. Why the model maker decided to deploy this device rather than have it stowed is an unknown!

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 pm
by Zorch
Are you sure the chains aren't for anti-torpedo nets? They were an unsuccessful way of protecting BBs from torpedoes. Most nations removed them after Jutland, when damaged nets fouled one ship's propeller.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:14 pm
by dr.hal
Yes I'm sure, those were a different form of netting and were still in use during WW2. In fact, there was talk of getting the US BBs netting for Pearl, but they never got around to it come December 1941.... If you look at photos of those chains stowed, you will see there is a vast difference between those and what you see here, which is for small boat hookup. Also, as an aside, those chains were deployed alone the waterline, not alone the deckline.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:26 pm
by Major Shane
Thanks Dr. Hal. Learned something new tonight. I couldn't figure what it's tactical use was and you clearly helped me understand it wasn't for fighting purposes.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:57 am
by dr.hal
Well Shane I certainly can see why you might not "see" it as it's a very unusual feature of older warships. I'm not sure why the model builder included it deployed but then again, we all have our quirks! But it's a beautiful representation.... Come to think of it, when I was on the CGN and the CV both ships had a similar contraption but I only saw it deployed once while the CV I was on was in Singapore.... anchored off shore. Hal

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:06 am
by spence
She sure ain't going to make 30 kts with that crusty bottom.

Nice touch on a model though.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:48 am
by obvert
Nice build. Here are some more by Kostas Katseas, probably my favourite model maker for this period (or any). Same kind of detail but often even down to 1/700, plus amazingly accurate water using cast resin.

Here is a Nagato underway and a Fuso in a great SE Asian island nook using the chains mentioned above with small boasts attached.

Kostas Katseas blog



Image

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:25 pm
by Major Shane
Thank you for sharing.I understand now how and why the books were used. I am amazed at the skills of this model builder.

RE: OT: Speachless

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:10 pm
by fcooke
I don't she could ever do 30 kts....even without the crusty bottom. Spectacular model.