Page 1 of 1
Pillbox bug
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 11:03 pm
by Lanorac
Hey,
In 4.4, in the first scenario AFTER the tutorial, where I (as Germany) need to defend against a Russian assault, and there are two crossroads that are heavily fought over, with Victory points in the middle of the crossroads.
I have the two pillboxes in my defense line. At some point I noticed that some enemy tanks registered as targets, although they were out of the angle I could shoot at. At first, I didn't know that, so I tried to shoot. Now, the pillbox wouldn't shoot at all, but the reactionary fire came from the tank anyhow. Every single time I tried to fire at the registered target at off-angles, the pillbox didn't fire, but the tank reacted. Looks like a bug to me.
In the end, I was able to hold all the victory points and the Russian suffered a crushing defeat, so I enjoyed it anyhow
Sami
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 11:54 pm
by Peregrine Falcon
Muistaakseni ikivanha bugi Steeleissä. Tuskinpa koskaan korjataan, vaikka on kyllä ärsyttävä sellainen.
(old bugs never die....they just get harder to kill =)
Originally posted by Lanorac:
Hey,
In 4.4, in the first scenario AFTER the tutorial, where I (as Germany) need to defend against a Russian assault, and there are two crossroads that are heavily fought over, with Victory points in the middle of the crossroads.
I have the two pillboxes in my defense line. At some point I noticed that some enemy tanks registered as targets, although they were out of the angle I could shoot at. At first, I didn't know that, so I tried to shoot. Now, the pillbox wouldn't shoot at all, but the reactionary fire came from the tank anyhow. Every single time I tried to fire at the registered target at off-angles, the pillbox didn't fire, but the tank reacted. Looks like a bug to me.
In the end, I was able to hold all the victory points and the Russian suffered a crushing defeat, so I enjoyed it anyhow 
Sami
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 12:23 am
by Wild Bill
Since I can't even fabricate an explanation

, we'll have to call it a bug.
Unless for some reason the tanks took your intentions as a threat, even though you could not carry them through
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 1:11 am
by john g
Originally posted by Lanorac:
Hey,
In 4.4, in the first scenario AFTER the tutorial, where I (as Germany) need to defend against a Russian assault, and there are two crossroads that are heavily fought over, with Victory points in the middle of the crossroads.
I have the two pillboxes in my defense line. At some point I noticed that some enemy tanks registered as targets, although they were out of the angle I could shoot at. At first, I didn't know that, so I tried to shoot. Now, the pillbox wouldn't shoot at all, but the reactionary fire came from the tank anyhow. Every single time I tried to fire at the registered target at off-angles, the pillbox didn't fire, but the tank reacted. Looks like a bug to me.
In the end, I was able to hold all the victory points and the Russian suffered a crushing defeat, so I enjoyed it anyhow 
Sami
I noticed that back in V2.3 the first time I tried using forifications. Just think of it as the crew of that pillbox blowing a rasberry at the opposing forces to trick them into wasting ammo. Early in the war, the 100+ armor per side heavy forifications are immune to almost everything except satchel charges. Later in the war, when the 85mm+ guns start showing up on tanks they do get blown up but require quite a few hits to take out on average.
thanks, John.
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 1:17 am
by Redleg
This is a little bug that dates back to SP3.
You can see this with units that are "out of ammo" who attempt to pop smoke also. Also mortars that have expended all HE and then try to fire a smoke round. Ditto for armor.
Some bunkers are a bit mystifying because it is hard to know exactly what their field of fire is.
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:58 am
by Warrior
I've had the same thing happen, a unit can see a target, but is out of range, etc. But if I try to fire by mistake, I get fired on instead - it's like I was pressing the enemy fire button. I've had it happen with almost every kind of unit, though, so I wonder if the computer figures I made myself visible by targeting, hence I became the target!
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 5:11 am
by Greybear
Originally posted by Lanorac:
Hey,
In 4.4, in the first scenario AFTER the tutorial, where I (as Germany) need to defend against a Russian assault, and there are two crossroads that are heavily fought over, with Victory points in the middle of the crossroads.
I have the two pillboxes in my defense line. At some point I noticed that some enemy tanks registered as targets, although they were out of the angle I could shoot at. At first, I didn't know that, so I tried to shoot. Now, the pillbox wouldn't shoot at all, but the reactionary fire came from the tank anyhow. Every single time I tried to fire at the registered target at off-angles, the pillbox didn't fire, but the tank reacted. Looks like a bug to me.
In the end, I was able to hold all the victory points and the Russian suffered a crushing defeat, so I enjoyed it anyhow 
Sami
Sami, your pillbox bug has been around forever, my memory is SP1. it will also happen with immobilized SP and Assault guns. It is one of those things that isn't annoying enough to fix (I guess).
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:42 pm
by Fabs
This has happened to me, too. Annoying, isnt'it?
It can happen also when you are left with shots for Smgs or Hgs and try to blast an opponent that is too far away.
However, I rationalize it thus:
- the enemy may get lucky and some eagle eyed scout has spotted your pillbox.
- You get punished for being impulsive and not checking that your unit can attack. It is a little bit like saying: "your unit is in s**t up to its eyeballs. It should try to melt into the background, but one of your men does something silly and attracts attention and fire". The silly man is you, because with experience you learn that pressing the fire button sometimes has unwanted consequences, if you don't check your ability to deliver the attack.
This is the sort of little inconvenience that keeps you on your toes and increases the "imponderable" element of war.
I love it!
------------------
Fabs
[This message has been edited by Fabs (edited November 15, 2000).]
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:52 pm
by Fabs
This has happened to me, too. Annoying, isnt'it?
However, I rationalize it thus:
the enemy may get lucky and some eagle eyed scout has spotted you. You get punished for being impulsive and not checking that your unit can attack.
This is the sort of little inconvenience that keeps you on your toes and increases the "imponderable" element of war.
I love it!
------------------
Fabs
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:02 pm
by Fabs
Originally posted by Fabs:
This has happened to me, too. Annoying, isnt'it? 
However, I rationalize it thus:
the enemy may get lucky and some eagle eyed scout has spotted you. You get punished for being impulsive and not checking that your unit can attack.
This is the sort of little inconvenience that keeps you on your toes and increases the "imponderable" element of war.
I love it!
Beats me how this got to appear twice guys, sorry!
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 3:22 pm
by molset
Greetings gentlemen.
This bug, was a bug to me and I recognize the circumstances lanorac describes in the Peterhof scenario. But as Fabs explains wery well this "bug" can be rationalised into a real world imitation.
Enough said.
"Jakki er ekki frakki nema sidur se"
MOlset
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 9:13 pm
by Windo von Paene
I've seen this pollbox "bug" as well. But I have also seen the same behavior if you fire a unit which has run out of "long-range shots" at a unit outside of it's range.
e.g 0:0:0:1 fires at a unit at range of 10.