Page 1 of 2
Very cool mods
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:12 pm
by AlvaroSousa
I haven't checked this thread in a while because I didn't think people would mod a lot. WOW is all I can say. The mods look great. I would love to use some of these myself in WarPlan but when designing you have to design for the lowest common denominator player which means slightly bland.
But all these look fantastic. Very nice mods so far. Pleasantly surprised at how many were done.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:15 pm
by Beatrix Kiddo
Totally agree! Props to the modding community here!
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:53 am
by James Taylor
Hey Al, how about giving us a "Mods" section under settings like SC does.
It is so easy selecting different mods, applying them for visual preference, then deselecting, until one finds which map or counter suits their style.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:02 pm
by PanzerMike
I am having fun modding your great game. Some things however could be more modding friendly. Any plans to open a few doors that are now hard coded?
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 pm
by Uxbridge
ORIGINAL: PanzerMike
I am having fun modding your great game. Some things however could be more modding friendly. Any plans to open a few doors that are now hard coded?
Like distinguishing Division, Corps, Army graphics. [:D]
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:47 pm
by Magpius
Modding Map Fonts or colour?
Modding Hex .png
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:36 pm
by AlvaroSousa
Question #1 This is the modding thread
Question #2 I try to make the editor more user friendly as I go. It is a lot of information to manage. If this was a professional company it would take 1-2 years to UX it right with a staff. I am just me.
Question #3 Div/Corp/Army slots. How the code is written now and how games are being played I probably can't slot each one.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:04 pm
by Uxbridge
Question 3:
Oh, blast. I thought it was no more than changing some code so that the different unit sizes refered to different areas of the units image. Suppose I have to give up on this, then. [8|]
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 pm
by AlvaroSousa
I wish I would can change the data structure of WarPlan but it is my 1st programmed game so there were a lot of coding mistakes. WarPlan 2 will have far less mistakes and be more flexible.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:29 pm
by mroyer
...WarPlan 2 will have...
ouuuh... you can't start a sentence like that without some teaser details!
-Mark R
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:27 pm
by AlvaroSousa
I am looking for all unit models to be similar to the naval model. That is all I will say.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:46 pm
by mroyer
[:)]
ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa
I am looking for all unit models to be similar to the naval model. That is all I will say.
Sounds like I like it [:)]
-Mark R
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:23 pm
by Uxbridge
Crickey, yeasterday I thought about the stacking in WP and and speculated about the idea that ground units could be handled the same way as the naval units – that the stacking wasn't in the hex, but in the unit. Thus there would be corps units where you could freely stack a number of divisions of different types. This way the there would be an entire new feeling of freedom in the ground war. Probably rather complicated to program, however, and probably not what's bouncing around in Alvaro's mind.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:55 am
by Hairog
that the stacking wasn't in the hex, but in the unit
Yesssssss! Nirvana at last. The holy grail, the magic lamp, Whoot... you get the idea. [&o]
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 am
by mroyer
ORIGINAL: Hairog
that the stacking wasn't in the hex, but in the unit
Yesssssss! Nirvana at last. The holy grail, the magic lamp, Whoot... you get the idea. [&o]
Implementation detail is everything... but in principle, yes, I agree 100% that this feels like the way I'd like to see Warplan evolve. I've never liked the single-unit stacking in any of these type of games. It just doesn't model historical capability to concentrate and disperse forces very well.
-Mark R.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm
by PanzerMike
I think that would be great also. For flavor it would also be nice to build "historical" divisions like Grossdeutsland or SS divisions that can be allocated to Corps. Use them as the fire brigades they were later in the war, or assemble them for a schwerpunkt for an offensive. More immersive that way.
Would be even cooler if the game would allow to assign an emblem to a division if you like that. Should not be that hard and add some chrome or soul to the game. Also the command point traits could be given at the division level instead of the Corps. Corps is just a temporary folder as it were that holds the divisions.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:54 pm
by James Taylor
This is the future. I've been trying to get a developer to do this for years, Hubert mostly. What we now get with putting the units into a basket is an actual combined arms team, a kampfgruppe. The containing combat unit then takes on the values of the conglomerate.
This goes forward as the developer then defines the terrain hex with a certain allowable unit density. You can only park so much into a hex and the ones with inclement terrain features are more limiting. Some types of units will not be allowed or are very few in numbers unless you build an airfield or a road.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:38 pm
by mroyer
ORIGINAL: James Taylor
This is the future. I've been trying to get a developer to do this for years, Hubert mostly. What we now get with putting the units into a basket is an actual combined arms team, a kampfgruppe. The containing combat unit then takes on the values of the conglomerate.
This goes forward as the developer then defines the terrain hex with a certain allowable unit density. You can only park so much into a hex and the ones with inclement terrain features are more limiting. Some types of units will not be allowed or are very few in numbers unless you build an airfield or a road.
Yes!
In theory a player might be able to pack any number of units into a combined-unit, but only so many will be combat effective depending on terrain and perhaps other stuff like mobility/supply/whatever. In practice, it would probably make sense to establish clear, reasonable limits in the game.
Changes like that would be very dramatic to the game engine and game play. Balance would need to be carefully re-balanced.
-Mark R.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:58 pm
by James Taylor
Oh yeah, this can expand into a chasm of micro-management if you wish. Imagine setting up echelons of combat troops in that hex.
You could have your front line troops set to retreat after taking a percent of casualties, a rear entrenchment where they are to hold at all cost and then further a reserve of armor for the counter attack.
Same on the attack or recon in force. A gaggle of light armored in the forward recon section leading a heavy armored group with plenty of supporting infantry in halftracks and behind them a mobile artillery group.
It all depends how you want to configure your basket. Its like a TOAW unit.
RE: Very cool mods
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:29 am
by PanzerMike
Lots of possibilities with this, I agree. But I would not go that far. Human players could handle such detail, but I fear the AI will not be clever enough. Only implement something if the AI can reasonably handle it IMHO.
So my sweetspot will be quite simple. You build divisions that have traits just like Warplan has now. Add a little chrome so divisions can stand out from the crowd. A corps can hold x number of divisions, subject to country like it is now.
Design a good formula that calculates the Corps strength and one that divides the losses over the divisions during combat. Perhaps put in a weight factor based on terrain. For example in plains the casualties of armor divisions is slightly higher than the infantry, but in Forest or urban it is the other way around. This simulates what divisions of the Corps sees more action that turn based on circumstances.
Just thinking out loud here.