Page 1 of 1
Save Game Problems
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:41 am
by Phil
I know there is an easy fix to this, but I can't remember how.
I'm trying to start a game from a save game file and it's crashing SPWAW.
What do I do?
Phil
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:56 am
by Svennemir
Maybe you should delete steel.prf from wherever it is.
If that doesn't work, try describing how exactly the game crashes.
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:02 am
by stevemk1a
Not sure if this will help you, but I had problems with Spwaw crashing on me until I made a shortcut to the mech.exe and ran the program from that instead of the desktop icon.
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:47 pm
by Phil
To be a little more specific, it crashes only whenever I try to start a save-game from the end of a WWII-Campaign battle. You know when you've finally whacked the enemy, and you go to the screen that shows you all the causalities and score?
If I save the game here, or at the next screen (where you have to choose a slot and save it to go on), when I try to fire up the game again from this file..... it crashes. If I choose a save-game that has been saved in the middle of a battle..... no problems.
I seem to remember having this problem before and something very simple fixed it.
Oh, and I did delete the steel.prf file. That didn't fix it.
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:34 am
by john g
Originally posted by Phil
To be a little more specific, it crashes only whenever I try to start a save-game from the end of a WWII-Campaign battle. You know when you've finally whacked the enemy, and you go to the screen that shows you all the causalities and score?
If I save the game here, or at the next screen (where you have to choose a slot and save it to go on), when I try to fire up the game again from this file..... it crashes. If I choose a save-game that has been saved in the middle of a battle..... no problems.
I seem to remember having this problem before and something very simple fixed it.
Oh, and I did delete the steel.prf file. That didn't fix it.
V7.0 had a problem with this, it was fixed with v7.1.
Are you sure you have upgraded to 7.1?
thanks, John.
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:10 am
by Goblin
I get that occasionally too. I never am able to solve it, and reluctantly go back to my last save. Try keeping two saves going for every battle.
Goblin
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:55 pm
by Bing
Phil - You haven't said what your OS is. Neither have you said what else you have running when you are playing WAW and attempting to load a Save file. If its Win98SE or Win ME, the problem could be coming from a very basic source, the fact that neither of these OS's load certain VxD drivers upon installation - the lack of which may cause crashes, IIRC particularly in the case of an app such as WAW which depends heavily upon underlying DOS.
I run WAW in both Win98SE and WinXP Home. No problem at all getting Save files to load, except when I have heavily edited a file there can be a problem. But for standard Save files, no prob. at all.
Give us some more info on your system. I can post the VxD info or send a text file to whoever wants it.
Bing
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:53 am
by Phil
I'm running 98 and nothing else besides the normal windows background stuff.
It is version 7.0. I'll try the 7.1 patch.
Like I said. I had this problem before..... probley prior to the last time I formatted..... and fixed it very easily.
If it persists after the upgrade I'll let you know.
Thanks to all of you. I appreciate the time
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:21 am
by Bing
Good luck, Phil. If you are running Win98SE and currently don't have Cacheman, it is something to think seriously about. I wouldn't fire up Win98 without it.
Bing