Page 1 of 1

Eastern Front fans:quick new book review

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:48 am
by KG Erwin
I present this quick review for the benefit of the many Eastern Front fans out there. "War Without Garlands:Operation Barbarossa 1941/42" by Col. Robert J. Kershaw, Sarpedon:New York 2000. I just got this from the Military Book Club, and I was just astonished at the amount of information this guy packed into 256 pages. Apart from the well-thought out analyses, there is a wealth of information concerning the Russian Campaign from June 1941 to January 1942. There are excerpts from the war diaries of various commands, letters from the frontsoldaten, and an in-depth treatment of the logistics involved in Barbarossa. It features some photos I haven't seen elsewhere, and some good diagrams and maps. An extensive description of the siege of the fortress of Brest-Litovsk is just one of the highlights of this volume. There is a LOT of statistical information, but it is embedded in the narrative in such a way that you don't get bogged down in numbers. This volume was constructed and edited very professionally, to please both the general reader and the specialist.I highly recommend this one to anyone interested in the battles of 1941 in Russia. There is much food for thought, and some great info for some future SPWaW scenarios.

[This message has been edited by KG Erwin (edited November 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by KG Erwin (edited November 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by KG Erwin (edited November 15, 2000).]

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 5:19 am
by Drex
Thanks KG Erwin. I also belong to the MHBC and I'll be looking for it.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 8:59 am
by Wild Bill
I appreciate the update,KG! Always looking for good books on the East Front.

I just found a paperback by Blumenson, "The Duel for France, 1944." It was less than $10. Looks like another winner! I got mine at Amazon.com.

WB

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:46 pm
by varjager
I also have been lucky.
Just bought the book"Devils adjutant"
About Jochen Peiper and his doings during the war.40 USD.And a copy about Tigers on the east front.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:09 pm
by Skorpion
How does it compare with Carrel's "Hitler Moves East"? I'm plowing through that one right now, and so far am very impressed.