Page 1 of 1

fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:10 pm
by Hammock
New guy here...I am running new scenario 1 from Andy Mac and am watching computer vs computer to get a feel how the game plays out. I am in March of 42 and noticed that my undamaged carriers and battleships aren't putting to see. Is this right?

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 pm
by Shellshock
ORIGINAL: Hammock

New guy here...I am running new scenario 1 from Andy Mac and am watching computer vs computer to get a feel how the game plays out. I am in March of 42 and noticed that my undamaged carriers and battleships aren't putting to see. Is this right?

Are you talking about the Japanese AI or the Allied AI?

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:24 pm
by Hammock
I apologize...the allied fleet isn't heading to sea. None of my undamaged carriers or battleships have headed to sea from wherever they are moored.

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 pm
by Shellshock
I don't have any experience with Andy Mac's new scenario one. However, I have noted in the past that the Allied AI is not exactly noteworthy for it'd aggressiveness. In the one game I played as Japan it was November 1942 before I ever clashed with USN carriers with anything but submarines. I'd be curious to know if anything was done to update the Allied scripts.

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 pm
by btd64
Try forming up a task force manually and give it orders. AI vs AI is not a good way to learn. Try the Coral Sea scenario....GP

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:40 pm
by Hammock
I have tried the coral sea scenario and intend to go back to it again. I had seen someone suggest ai vs ai until mid-42 then jump in and take control of the allies. I thought I'd try that.

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm
by Shellshock
ORIGINAL: Hammock

I have tried the coral sea scenario and intend to go back to it again. I had seen someone suggest ai vs ai until mid-42 then jump in and take control of the allies. I thought I'd try that.

Kudos to the Allied AI then. It's managed not to get your capital ships sunk in the meantime. [:D]

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:50 pm
by Kull
If the AI script is waiting for the Allies to improve their carrier aircraft, AA, and radar before tangling with a human player (one who is probably smart enough to keep KB intact as a 6-carrier death star)......well, that sounds like a very smart thing to do.

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm
by CaptBeefheart
ORIGINAL: Hammock

I have tried the coral sea scenario and intend to go back to it again. I had seen someone suggest ai vs ai until mid-42 then jump in and take control of the allies. I thought I'd try that.
Hello Hammock,

I suggested that (and I think I got the idea from Bullwinkle). However, what I do is run the game in Continuous mode while I do something else (e.g. sleep, read, surf the internet, etc.) and then a couple of hours later stop it and see if the game is at a good point to insert myself. If not, I run it some more on Continuous and repeat. I wouldn't actually watch what the computer does as I don't think much could be learned. Also, if the Allied side doesn't send out the CVs and BBs, that's probably good as Shellshock says.

If you are just starting out, a scenario like Coral Sea would be good to play to learn the mechanics, like Gen Patton says. My method is good once you have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Good luck.

Cheers,
CB

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:44 pm
by Hammock
understood and thank you! I appreciate all of the quick advice!

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:40 am
by Ian R
Let it run to about August 1942.

Then hop in and have a look around.

Have a look at the next lot of USN AAA upgrades and let it run to then.

RE: fleet not leaving pearl

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:55 am
by HansBolter
Are there dual sets of scripts for AI vs AI games or is one side being hampered by a complete lack of scripts when the game is run this way?

I see this as a really, really bad idea and would NEVER want to get stuck in a situation created for me by the AI.


Don't count on finding a Coral Sea scenario situation when you retake control.