Page 1 of 2
Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:31 am
by crsutton
Was talking to my sister in law the other day and she informed me that her dad was captain of this CV. During the Vietnam War where it served for about a year. Was decommissioned soon after.

RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:44 am
by jdsrae
Did he have better stats than CAPT Farley?
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 am
by Kursk1943
When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 am
by Leandros
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
You dreaming of going back to Kursk...[;)]..
Fred
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:59 am
by Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.

RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:32 pm
by Alfred
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Wouldn't Beda Fromm have been a useful study too.
Alfred
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:01 pm
by Q-Ball
My grandfather took a ride on this ship Seattle to Brisbane, among many other transports between Seattle, Australia, Madang, Biak, Wakde, Hollandia, Zamboanga, Kobe, and back, and many points in between....he mostly forgot which ships though, but remebered this long voyage

RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:01 pm
by Kursk1943
Beda Fromm is not well-known in Germany. Maybe because it was the Italian, not the German armour which got a real thrashing there.[:D]
I specialised on the eastern front battles and later switched to the Pacific war and the Civil War. While there are lots of books in Germany available about the East, there are not too many about the Pacific or the Civil War, so 90% of my books are US and UK imports.[:'(]
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:06 pm
by Leandros
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:46 pm
by Kursk1943
In my opinion the most recent and very best about Stalingrad is David M. Glantz Stalingrad trilogy, highly recommended!
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:07 pm
by witpqs
ORIGINAL: Leandros
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book -
a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Think future generations who might read it without already knowing.
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:08 pm
by rustysi
but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead.
How many barrels?[:'(]
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:19 pm
by RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: Leandros
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:25 pm
by RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: rustysi
but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead.
How many barrels?[:'(]
One barrel can sometimes be more than enough, especially when they try to fire with 2 feet of packed dirt at the end of the barrel. [:-] A 105mm steel orchid. [X(] The crew inside the turret was lucky that the breach held . . .

RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 pm
by rsallen64
ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: Leandros
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Hey now, what's this DAT bashing I hear going on? Is that coming from a Crunchy? [:D] Oh yes, the ongoing rivalry between armor and cav scouts. I never stuck my 105mm barrel into a berm, thank you very much, although I did get the whole tank stuck in a very muddy hole once and had to be towed out.
BTW, Beevor's book is good, and so is Craig's "Enemy at the Gates." I have Glantz's trilogy but haven't read it yet.
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 pm
by Zorch
ORIGINAL: rsallen64
ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: Leandros
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Hey now, what's this DAT bashing I hear going on? Is that coming from a Crunchy? [:D] Oh yes, the ongoing rivalry between armor and cav scouts. I never stuck my 105mm barrel into a berm, thank you very much, although I did get the whole tank stuck in a very muddy hole once and had to be towed out.
BTW, Beevor's book is good, and so is Craig's "Enemy at the Gates." I have Glantz's trilogy but haven't read it yet.
Hurrah for the Poor Bloody Infantry!

RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:13 am
by NigelKentarus
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
My father was a tanker in Korea. I went to join the Army but the recruiter was busy. So I joined the Navy. First person in my family tree to be non-army. Blacksheep me.
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:27 am
by LargeSlowTarget
ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Stupid Scouts still don't get it that the only reason they are being sent ahead of the tanks is for triggering mines, IEDs, ambushes etc. so that the tanks can follow without fear for their more expensive vehicles and more valuable crews [:'(].
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:21 am
by Ian R
ORIGINAL: jdsrae
Did he have better stats than CAPT Farley?
Yes. Yes he did.
CRSutton has the genes, afterall.
RE: Learn something new!
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:28 am
by Ian R
ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
My grandfather took a ride on this ship Seattle to Brisbane,
My great uncle took a ride on a transport to Singapore in about January '42.
Poor bastard.
Died on the railway.