Page 1 of 1

Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:58 am
by stolypin
I have a bunch of Soviet An-12BP Cub transport aircraft, each loaded with 60x Paratroopers. I cannot figure out how to drop them. If I create a Cargo mission and assign them to it, they immediately RTB (without ever even approaching the drop zone). I can manually move them to the drop zone by plotting a course, but when I give the order "Unload Cargo", nothing happens. And they immediately show RTB upon reaching the end of the plotted course.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

RE: Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:12 am
by pjb1
You can create an event, unit enters area and create unit.

RE: Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:36 am
by KLAB
CMO should do parachuting without LUA.
Is it just the load out setting which says 60 paratroops or have you also loaded each of the An-12 via Cargo option with units that are parachute capable?
If not the CMO cargo tutorial is good.
If you've added cargo that's parachute capable then I'd be at a loss without specifics.
Cheers
K

RE: Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:57 am
by kevinkins
If players shy away from lua there is the teleport option. Not as elegant, but it works well. A/C enters area then teleport to that area. However, you might want to put limits on the altitudes the troopers can jump from. For that you need lua.

Kevin

RE: Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:43 pm
by stolypin
ORIGINAL: KLAB


Is it just the load out setting which says 60 paratroops or have you also loaded each of the An-12 via Cargo option with units that are parachute capable?

Cheers
K

Maybe this is what I am doing wrong. I am playing the scenario, Mediterranean Fury 1, The Road to Byzantium, 1994 scenario (pre-CMO). I have AN-12 Cubs which I can select 60x paratroopers using Ready/Arm (and that's what I did) but Un/Load Cargo is grayed-out. Are you suggesting that the paratroopers need to be at base and then loaded using Un/Load Cargo?



RE: Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:00 pm
by Eggstor
The Un/Load Cargo button will remain grayed out until the Cubs are actually ready to take on the paratroops, which will take 4 hours. Only at that point can you click the Un/Load Cargo button and load up the Cubs with up to 60 paradrop-capable troops each (or cargo, either paradrop-capable or non-paradrop-capable up to the cargo weight/size limit of that particular loadout, or 96 non-paradrop-capable troops if you went with that loadout).

You do need to load the troops (or cargo) to deliver them. I don't know about any bases other than Odessa in Med Fury 1, but Odessa does have both paradrop-capable troops and paradrop-capable cargo of various types and manpower sizes.

RE: Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:43 pm
by Gunner98
Yes it's a two step process, ready the aircraft then load the cargo. You have quite a bit of cargo loading to do in this scenario, the Air landing Bde in Odessa, the battalion of Naval paratroops - which I think are the ones you're dealing with, at the base near Sevastopol and about 4 or 6 major bases in the north with a complete para Division.

B

RE: Can't figure out how to drop paratroopers

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:42 pm
by stolypin
ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Yes it's a two step process, ready the aircraft then load the cargo. You have quite a bit of cargo loading to do in this scenario, the Air landing Bde in Odessa, the battalion of Naval paratroops - which I think are the ones you're dealing with, at the base near Sevastopol and about 4 or 6 major bases in the north with a complete para Division.

B

Obviously I was missing the second step.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll give this scenario another go.