Page 1 of 1
400 unitsd limit
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 3:49 am
by xavier
Hello,
Just a question :
Why put a purchase limit of 400 units maximum ? (200 by players)
I ask that because I am developing a system of multi-player campaign, and it
could be that 2 armies of more than 200 units for each player meet in a map. This
would be a problem since 400 maximum is alowed.
XAAL.
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 6:14 am
by Wild Bill
It's basically a matter of what the game can handle. It's not designed to handle more than that. Otherwise weird things start happening.
We've stretched it to the max, far beyond the original 25 or so formations originally given us in the first SP, but I think the old girl has about all she can handle with the 400 max.
So many calculations are done for each unit with each move, fire, etc. that the game can't handle more than that.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 1:30 pm
by xavier
Thank you Wild Bill for your quick reply.
XAAL.
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 1:43 pm
by Mac_MatrixForum
Originally posted by xavier:
I ask that because I am developing a system of multi-player campaign, and it
could be that 2 armies of more than 200 units for each player meet in a map. This
would be a problem since 400 maximum is alowed.
Most campaign systems have these kind of limitations. Take the new Close Combat games as a bad example. The 200 units per side is plenty. Who has the guts to play many such games? (or time

) I would hope your campaign system doesn't favour large formations.
------------------
Markku "Mac" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword,
your side, their side and the truth."
- Sheridan in B5
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 5:29 pm
by Wild Bill
My pleasure Xavier!
Scenarios are like women. Some like 'em big, some like 'em small
We try to provide all of them and they all have a place in the system.
While the quick play is probably a big favorite, the Monster (I call 'em "Momo") battles and campaigns have a strong following.
Good luck with the multiplayer. Sounds interesting. Keep us posted.
WB
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games