Page 1 of 1

Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:33 am
by GaryChildress
My virus protection is up for renewal soon. I had Webroot but I don't know if I want to keep it or try something else. Anyone with good knowledge of AV software out there have any recommendations?

Thanks.

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:46 am
by RangerJoe
I use Avast and Malwarebytes, both are free. You can pay them them if you want and get better protection. Other people might have other recommendations.

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:47 am
by demyansk
Gary, I like Webroot and I paid for the malwarebytes as well. Everything gets installed and no crap on my computers. It's worth the money and time to prevent an attack.

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:22 am
by VPaulus
Eset Nod32.

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:01 am
by sPzAbt653
I know nothing about these things but I use Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials, both Free Versions, and I am happy with both.

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:31 am
by Trugrit

I’ve used Kaspersky for several years and I’m very happy with it.
It is not cheap but I never go cheap with my anti-virus. You get what you pay for.

It is a Russian company. In my opinion the Russian programmers are among the very best.

Perfect score against phishing.

Review:
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/kaspersky-anti-virus


RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:48 am
by MrsWargamer
I go with what the geeks tell me to use... Avast.

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:51 pm
by rommel222
Greetings GaryChildress,
In the past I have used Norton, Avast, Trend Micro, McAfee, Eset & AVG as well as Windows Defender. Found them to miss some virus attacks in the past.
Now I only use Bit Defender's Total Internet Security Suite (last 10 years) and have no problems. I also use Malware Bytes.

Anti-virus review ratings:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antiv ... -2588.html
https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-security-suites
https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-inte ... s-software

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:40 pm
by rico21
Windows Defender is the best.[8D]
Add an anti-virus is optional and makes you falsely believe that your PC is safe.[:(]
The PC you buy already contains all the malware included by the manufacturer.[:D]

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 am
by Trugrit
ORIGINAL: rico21

Windows Defender is the best.[8D]
Add an anti-virus is optional and makes you falsely believe that your PC is safe.[:(]
The PC you buy already contains all the malware included by the manufacturer.[:D]

Well, Defender may be good enough for Grandma….

“It doesn’t get updated often, doesn’t provide advanced protection against most malware threats, and has no accountability.
I do not now and have never trusted Windows Defender to keep my computer secure.”

https://www.safetydetectives.com/best-a ... -defender/

https://www.lifewire.com/windows-defender-guide-3506936

Microsoft is a marketing company not a technology company.[:D]


Image

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 am
by Freigeist83
Switch to Linux and you won't have to worry about Anti-Virus tools any longer. Safe browsing and browser security will still be an issue though.

Unfortunately, many wargames on Steam still don't work well via Proton...

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:56 pm
by StevenBrown
Good FREE antivirus is windows defender. It's going to be there anyhow, so you might as well get the most out of the resources that it will use regardless of whether you install another antivirus or not without extensive procedures to nullify it. Plus, it does just as good of a job as any other free antivirus. Even if you see the comparison between Avast and Windows Defender you see WD is far better in free version.

Malware is a different story. Viruses and malware are totally different things, requiring different applications and definitions for protection. Some paid applications do both, but usually not as well as ones specifically designed for that. The best free combination I've found is using Windows defender or Avast for virus protection, which is a no brainer anyhow since there are VERY few actual "viruses" in the wild anymore, and Malwarebytes or Spybot search and destroy free versions for malware

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:28 pm
by DeepBlack
I use Avast coupled with Sandboxie for web browsing.

Though, interesting sordid side to Avast...they sold user
information to advertisers not that long ago.
Profuse apologies followed, of course.
Avasts Avarice

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:01 pm
by WYBaugh
I've used Kaspersky for years and it really has been the best. If you look at the test results KAV is always at the top in all categories.

If you keep an eye out on Newegg, you can pick it up very cheaply.

Second recommendation for NOD32 or whatever Eset is called nowaday's. Good company

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:09 pm
by rommel222
Greetings All,
Still using Bit Defender Total Internet Security and Malwarebytes on Win 10 laptop and tablet.

However, I only do internet banking, purchases, paypal, social security and online teaching on my Pixelbook Go & Pixel Slate.
Extremely safe since there is no operating system to hack or infect. Can also install Linux as well on them.
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixelbook_go
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/googl ... -go-review

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrom ... xel-slate/
https://www.androidauthority.com/google ... ew-911479/
https://www.techradar.com/news/google-p ... rd-and-pen



RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm
by Rosseau
Avast is definitely awesome, but not necessarily "free," as one good poster commented above.

I say this as I look at my credit card bill today, and Avast has automatically charged me $74 to renew my "subscription."

That's an issue I need to deal with personally, but in terms of performance, Avast is like the strongest of fortifications against all threats.

RE: Anti-Virus Software Recommendations

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:30 am
by Mobeer
Been using Avast Free for many years now - seems to work well and have saved a lot of money compared to subscription services.