Page 1 of 1

very strange technical problem ip 0.0.0.0

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:35 am
by UndercoverNotChickenSalad
I cannot find my IP address.

winipcfg: I can see my network card and 2 ppp adapters. Network card has IP, ppp adapters show 0.0.0.0

Type in ipconfig from command promt: shows I have 3 cards, all are 0.0.0.0 except for my network card which is 192.168.1.1. standard.

what the deali-yo ? I am on the Internet w/ this machine right now so.... o_O ??

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:17 am
by NefariousKoel
Man, you constantly have networking problems don't you? Maybe your network card should be sacrificed to the Chicken gods.

On the other hand... try this little program if you haven't already.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:51 pm
by Mustang
PPP adapters are usually dial up adapters. How do you connect to your ISP, dial up or cable or dsl? You would have more than one PPP adapter showing if you have the Microsoft Dial up adapter and than another one, such as the AOL dial up adapter.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:21 pm
by Marc von Martial

Re: very strange technical problem ip 0.0.0.0

Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:25 pm
by Veldor
Originally posted by UndercoverNotChickenSalad
I cannot find my IP address.

winipcfg: I can see my network card and 2 ppp adapters. Network card has IP, ppp adapters show 0.0.0.0

Type in ipconfig from command promt: shows I have 3 cards, all are 0.0.0.0 except for my network card which is 192.168.1.1. standard.

what the deali-yo ? I am on the Internet w/ this machine right now so.... o_O ??


0.0.0.0 means the interface is set to obtain its IP Address automatically via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). They don't have addresses because the interfaces are not connected. So that is how they should always appear. Your network card may very well be set to DHCP as well, but would have an address if your firewall, cable modem, or other device were online to hand out the address.

In more recent OS's, a network interface that cannot get an IP Address via DHCP automatically assigns itself a 169. Address..