Page 1 of 2

Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:16 am
by MrsWargamer
Ok, here is what I have (I haven't listed old dusty DOS titles).

The idea is, is there anything I'm missing, that I just don't know about (it's possible eh).

I don't own everything, just might look that way. I'm talking WW2 here, and maybe post war to modern. But mainly WW2. Nothing WW1 and earlier in history.

Offer some form of tangible reason for your suggestion please.

My list, in alpha order (I've used the name the owner sells as, I'm assuming you will recognize the names).

Advanced Tactics Gold
Anglo German War
Battle for Korsun
Battle of the Bulge
Battlefront
Battles in Italy
Battles in Normandy
Battlefield Academy
Campaign Series
Combat Command 2
Combat Mission (old 3)
Command Ops Battles From The Bulge
Commander Europe At War
Conflict of Heroes
Conquest of the Aegean
Drive On Moscow
Frontline Longest Day
Heroes of Normandie
Highway to the Reich
Iwo Jima
Korsun Pocket
Kursk Battle at Prochorovka
Legends of War
Matrix Games Close Combat (not newest)
Operation Barbarossa
Pacific General
Panzer Battles Battles of Normandy
Panzer Campaigns Series (most)
Panzer Command Ostfront
Panzer Corps 1
Panzer General 2 (GOG)
Russo German War
Squad Battles Series (most)
Steel Panthers Complete Collection (means all of it)
Storm Over The Pacific
Strategic Command Series (new Matrix ones)
Strategic War in Europe
Team Assault
The First Blitzkrieg
Tigers On The Hunt
TOAW 4
Unity Of Command (1 and 2)
War in the East and West
World at War A World Divided
World in Flames
WW2 Time of Wrath

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:35 am
by RangerJoe
I have only a few of those games - very few.

Do you prefer tactical or strategic?

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 am
by Freyr Oakenshield
Must it be by Slitherine/Matrix/AGEOD?

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 am
by MrsWargamer
No preference for strategic or tactical.

No preference for source publisher beyond I have a bias against wonky protection methods.

I have an inherent dislike of anything RTS (explains the lack of examples).

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 am
by Freyr Oakenshield
Have you actually played all of these games? [:D]

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 am
by Freyr Oakenshield
Haven't noticed any Shrapnel titles on your list: http://www.gamersfront.com/store/ - so there's still room for improvement... [:D]

Can't vouch for their quality as I've only tried their both Steel Panthers games--and they are good. Many of them have that military wargames simulator feel. You must look around in their store...

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:08 am
by pkpowers
Have you actually played all of these games?



yes, I have ; not included , but at the top ; Piercing fortress europa ; of the list heres the best

Combat command 2
campaign series
any command ops (cota, botb, httr etc)
panzer battles
panzer campaigns
squad battles ()most ; winter war esp
tigers on the hunt
toaw 3 or 4
war in east or west
world in flames (what a monster!)
any war in the pacific version and uncommon valor
decisive campaigns barbarossa
new for the pc "Carrier battles for Guadalcanal" this one I enjoy very much now

also of course ANY steel panthers ......


RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:16 am
by bobarossa
Don't see the Decisive Campaigns series by Vic, Advanced Tactics Gold successors. Enjoyed all three, mainly first and third. Multiple scenarios and editable.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am
by RichG
You appear to be missing all of the Decisive Campaigns games which IMHO is a major oversight. Barbarossa is particularly good, but I'm sure you'd enjoy all of them.

edit: bobarossa beat me to it [:)]

And as pkpowers suggested Piercing Fortress Europa.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:33 am
by USSAmerica
No War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. [:-]

Of course, you would have to retire all of your other games to play AE with any regularity. [:D]

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:48 am
by RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

No War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. [:-]

Of course, you would have to retire all of your other games to play AE with any regularity. [:D]

Not really. After the first turn or so, it goes a lot quicker. Of course, there is also the PBEM possibility with lots of initial tutoring. Someone invaded Hokkaido in 1944 with a little tutoring . . .

But there are also short scenarios.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:51 am
by Twotribes
If you like 4x games then Shadow Empire is a must. War plan is good too.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:35 pm
by OldSarge
All of Vic's games seem to be well worth the investment. The Decisive Campaign series and, if you like 4x titles, Shadow Empires is a well worth it!

There are also Fields Of Glory II and Fields of Glory: Empires. Both are immense fun and worth a look.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm
by LarryP

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 pm
by Freyr Oakenshield
ORIGINAL: LarryP

Strategic Mind Blitzkrieg
I think that one is a cheap copy of Panzer Corps 1/2.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:15 pm
by ncc1701e
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

The idea is, is there anything I'm missing, that I just don't know about (it's possible eh).

Try Warplan.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:20 pm
by rico21
I hesitated many times to buy this game, I search a cobaye tester![:D]

Image

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 pm
by Freyr Oakenshield
Armored Brigade? -- https://www.matrixgames.com/game/armored-brigade

Good, realistic, tactical.

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm
by pkpowers

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

The idea is, is there anything I'm missing, that I just don't know about (it's possible eh)


Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal ; very good coverage of naval battles in pacific , Coral sea, Midway , santa cruz , eastern solomons, all battles around the solomons involving carriers

RE: Interested in new titles suggestions

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:25 pm
by LarryP
ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Strategic Mind Blitzkrieg
I think that one is a cheap copy of Panzer Corps 1/2.

I have all three and I would take SMB any day over the Panzers. It's not as scripted and there is MUCH more to do, and technically wise too.