Page 1 of 1
(Slightly) OT: UK TV - The Singapore Grip
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:17 pm
by DSwain
To those of us in the UK, have you seen any of the ITV drama "The Singapore Grip"? It's from the JG Farrell novel set from November 1941 to February 1942, about the Battle of Malaya (among other things).
RE: (Slightly) OT: UK TV - The Singapore Grip
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:45 pm
by Leandros
A terrible production if you ask me. But we ARE served the incidence when Wavell fell down from the pier.
Fred
-----
RE: (Slightly) OT: UK TV - The Singapore Grip
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:52 am
by RogerJNeilson
Sadly Farrell wrote too few books in his short life. His three major works are all connected by a desire to 'have a go' at British Colonialism (justifiably in my opinion). The best of the three is The Siege of Krishnapur.
Having been in Singapore and visited Fort Canning and heard off the problems that Percival had in trying to communicate with his troops etc etc I suspect (I am only up to part 2 on ITV Hub) that the British are being caricatured. Having said that as a piece of drama I am throughly enjoying it and I do think the production values are very high.
The period detail and the characters are well realised. The historical aspect is - as with all history - seen through a lens.
Roger
RE: (Slightly) OT: UK TV - The Singapore Grip
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:03 am
by Leandros
The best part of it was when the "Grip" was demonstrated...[;)]..
Fred
----
RE: (Slightly) OT: UK TV - The Singapore Grip
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:03 pm
by DSwain
I'm something of a fan of JG Farrell and I've read the 'colonial trilogy'. I think my favourite actually was 'The Singapore Grip'. It's a difficult one to adapt but they've made a good effort.
I've also visited Fort Canning - what struck me was how small it was.