Page 1 of 1
AI's Mine Use
Posted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:42 am
by madflava13
Has anyone ever seen the AI use mines? I know they sweep for them, but I have yet to run into any AI-laid fields. I usually play as the Allies. Thoughts?
Posted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:28 am
by denisonh
I sem to remember defensive minefields used by the AI (Shortlands and Rabaul), but since I haven't played the AI since August of last year I am not the most credible source.....
Posted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:32 am
by The Gnome
I concur with denisonh, I've seen the IJN AI use mines defensively at Rabaul and Shortland. I've never seen it use mines offensively however.
Posted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:43 am
by Drongo
The AI does use mines at locations other than those that start with them (like Shortlands).
Certain approach locations around Lunga, Gili Gili and other important heavy traffic areas will often attract attention from the AI. The minelaying is almost always done by submarines.
From memory, these type of minefields were only encountered when the AI was running the allies (a special AI routine to use the Argonaut?).
Posted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:49 pm
by frizt
AI lays mines in Truk, Kavieng, Rabaul, Shortland.
For a few times it even tried to lay mines in Finshafen which was occupied by me. The only result I saw was Japanese BB, DD, CA, ML hitting Mine Type 93

(They mine they laid by themselfs.) The mines are laid AFTER Finshafen was captured because it was minefree when it fall.