Page 1 of 3
Final Thoughts - Utah to Rhine and more
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 3:44 am
by Wild Bill
I'm sure by now some of you have made it to the heart of Germany and finished the Utah-Rhine Campaign.
Any final thoughts, suggestions, comments. I read these thinking about future campaigns so feedback is always well received.
I may not always agree, but I will respect your opinion
How about a Japanese campaign after we finish the Victors? Thoughts? Preferences?
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 4:35 am
by Colonel Klink
WB, here are some ideas for campaigns:
1. Rommel in Afrika, starting march of 1941..Alexandria as the prize?
2. German attack into yugoslavia ending in greece and the battle for Athens.
3. Hypothetical German attack through Spain with the prize Gibraltor in the balance
4. Operation Market Garden.. a bridge too far?
5. Hypothetical Operation SeaLion.. ending in the battle of London.
6. Rommel in the Desert, PartII - Hypothetical German attack into eygpt ending in the rich oil fields of the middle east
7. German invasion of Poland ending in the capture of Warsaw
8. Battle of the Bulge? not sure if this has been done yet. Antwerp as the prize?
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 5:03 am
by Dave_R
How about a canmaigne covering our Canadian or Ausralian/New Zeland friends. Or a campaigne based on the minor nations, Hungery, Romania, Yugoslavia.
The there's the earlier and lesser known conflicts, the Sino Japanese war, Spanish civil war.
One in particular that I would like to see and have done a lot of research on, which I'd be able to pass over to anybody who might be interested, is the Chindit war and the British campaignes in Burma. Thay would be excellent for Infantry heavy actions, and would present a challenge as you'd be fighting the Japanese without the USM supermen, and no guys that isn't ment as a dig at the corps
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 5:19 am
by Wild Bill
Good ideas, guys. I did do one on Merrill's Marauders in SP3 and enjoyed it very much.
I'll jot these down for future possibles.
And any info at all on Burma would be much appreciated. Can it be sent via e-mail. If so, pass it on, Dave, unless you are going to do it.
Did either of you finish the Utah-Rhine campaign?
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 5:43 am
by Drake
Will I would not mind seeing a good canadian compaign done, Hint Hint
Their is already two very good maps that could be used to start a campaign like this Dieppe and Juno that I already did and I plans to do more like this.
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:10 am
by Colonel Klink
not yet WB, but it sounds like a good one
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:41 am
by Wild Bill
Good hunting, Colonel Klink.
Drake, I've been wanting to do a Canuck campaign for years...maybe now is the time..
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:42 am
by GrinningDwarf
Originally posted by Colonel Klink:
4. Operation Market Garden.. a bridge too far?
Market Garden could be done a few interesting ways:
1. Elements of XXX Corps. Can we get to Arnhem bridge without stopping for tea?
2. Elements of British 1st Para fighting through to reinforce Frost at Arnhem bridge.
3. Elements of American 82nd Airborne seizing bridges and then defending against German counterattacks coming from the east out of Germany. (Defending against these counterattacks was were Gen. Gavin was while Maj. Robin Cook assaulted the far end of Nijmegan Bridge. The movie didn't have time to mention these counterattacks at all, but according to his book,
On to Berlin, Gavin was more concerned about them than whether Cook's assault would be successful.)
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:46 am
by Drake
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Good hunting, Colonel Klink.
Drake, I've been wanting to do a Canuck campaign for years...maybe now is the time.. 
Wild Bill
Gess im going to have to do more of them maps you like so much to get your insentive up to do one
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:45 am
by kao16
A campaign for the Kiwis (NZ) - how about following the NZ division from Greece/ Crete/ North Africa through Italy finishing at Trieste.
Would be interesting given the Kiwi's tendency to borrow anything they needed (a regt of tanks here, mech infantry there) and not give it back (I've been told by History student friend that the NZ div numbered over 20,000 men by the time they entered Trieste
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:53 am
by kao16
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
I'm sure by now some of you have made it to the heart of Germany and finished the Utah-Rhine Campaign.
Any final thoughts, suggestions, comments. I read these thinking about future campaigns so feedback is always well received.
Wild Bill
A comment about U2R - I've fought about 6 battles so far, 1 vicrory and 1 marginal for 10 points.
I seem to have constantly avoided or gone around the German prepared defences, attacked from there flanks etc, mainly by accident (or superlative interpretation of the terrain and tactical situation resulting in superior troop deployment and tactical use

)
The question is: should they have been harder or have I just been extremely lucky so far?
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:00 am
by Wild Bill
Pure gaming skill and war expertise. You're just modest
WB
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 10:21 am
by Major_Johnson
I like the idea of a Japanese campaign!! But I also wouldn't mind seeing one based on Patton's 3rd Army!!
Guess I'm about ½ way thru Utah-Rhine. A couple of decisives, mainly marginal. But having a great time the whole way!! Thanks for the fun Wild Bill!!
------------------
MJ
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 1:50 pm
by Fredde
German paratroopers..!

The invasion of Crete would be an excellent fairly well-documented campaign subject (and allow for a really tough campaign with the heavy german losses). I wouldn't have anything against a longer campaign either, starting with the Holland forts, continuing over Crete, the hypotethical invasion of Malta and continuing with Sicily and up the "bloody boot".
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 2:10 pm
by Spellbinder
Hi WB,
how about a campaign for "Sinelnikovo Station" or the 2nd battle for Karkov.
When in Feb 43 the Russian 6th Army attacked along the Dnieper and was outmanouvered and finally destroyed by Mannstein.
What's most interesting about it is:
"The Soviet Sixth Army, which strangely enough bore the same number as the German Army sacrificed on the Volgy by Hitler's abstinacy, suffered the same fate through Stalin's overwhelming pride. Leaving a total of 360 tanks, 325 anti-tank guns, 60 heavy guns, and more than 3000 dead or wounded on the battlefield between Pavlograd and Sinelnikovo."
I allready did some research on it and it's veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting!!!
Ciao
Spellbinder
------------------
"Semper Paratus"
http://www.fischers-design.de
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 7:49 pm
by Wild Bill
Bryan Melvin did a campaign on Crete in the old version of SPWAW that was very good. I hope he will update it for 4.4
Kharkov is being covered in scenarios by Brent Richards, though I think a campaign, perhaps all four battles over 2 years would make a good one too.
Thanks, guys.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:24 pm
by David F. Wall
I have a hypothetical Operation Sea Lion in progress. Right now it's projected to run between 13 and 20 battles (depending on how well you do at certain points). It includes, but may not culminate in, a battle in London.
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:51 pm
by Securitas
My own preferences for future campaigns are as follows, in order of desire:
1)Kampfgruppe Peiper in Stoumont/La Gleize in Dec 44 (German Perspective)
2)Canadians in Ortona, Italy (Canadian Perspective)
3)Kharkov Feb-Mar 1943 (German Perspective)
4)Liquidation of Courland Pocket (Russian Perspective)
5)Operation Crusader (German Perspective)
6)Operation Goodwood (UK Perspective)
7)Operation Spring Awakening (Lake Balaton region/Budapest 1945) (German Perspective)
------------------
Securitas
_________________________
88mm is a really nice number
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:25 pm
by Per-Anders Westin
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Bryan Melvin did a campaign on Crete in the old version of SPWAW that was very good. I hope he will update it for 4.4
Hi WB!
Do you have more details about the campaign? I have been gathering some facts about the invasion, and have plans to design a campaign where you command the germans. But if Bryan will update his campaign, I feel there is no meaning I design a similar campaign.
Per-Anders Westin
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 1:09 am
by krull
I would love to see Mor epacfic campaigns from different sides Japanese US Austrilian etc. I ave tried my self but i lack skill enough. I have played for awhile but mostly hotseat amd mow leearning PBEM and this combat thingie but manuals kinda vague. But if any would please do make some pacfic campaigns.