Page 1 of 1
W@W 4.4 didn't work on my PC
Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:19 am
by Atila_Boss
I'm a newbie in SP:WaW. I've played SP I for years and I'm trying playing WaW now. I downloaded 4.4 version, but I have a big problem with this game. I started a new campaign for Russians (Heroes of the Motherland). I bought core and support units, deployed them and start the battle. I hadn't any problem in the first turn, but after I've finished second one and game switch to AI turn then in the middle of the AI movement game crashed. I tried to load this battle few times and everything is the same. I even tried to install this game on different OS (WIN2000 instead of WIN98), that I have on my PC, but problem is still here. Have anyone some clue ?
Thanx
------------------
-----------------------
Dusan Bolek
Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:53 am
by Don
Hi AB,
It could be alot of things - check out this thread and see if anything helps:
http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003042.html
The first thing I would do is go into the SAVE folder and delete the file that looks like a key (steel.prf). This will not hurt anything as the game will make a new one, and it solves many problems.
Let us know what happens!
Don
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 1:37 am
by Atila_Boss
Bad, bad. I thought that problem is in corrupted save file, but it is not true.
I tried to play some scenarios without save. The problem is that the game randomly crashes. Usually before four turn game is gone. Without any message, games just went back to OS. Ironically, when I tried version 1.0 all looks fine and I hadn't any problems at all.
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 3:51 am
by Don
The first thing I would do then is re-install and see what happens. If you have the same problems you may have gotten a bad download. Did the size of your download match the stated size?
Other than that we'll probably need alot more info about your computer. Are you using a language patch?
Good luck,
Don
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:33 pm
by Atila_Boss
I've checked the file size and it seems that is correct. I thought that installer should has a CRC check, so the problem should not be caused by a corrupted install file.
My computer is ordinary PII/300, 256MB RAM, 2 gigs of swap, about 8 gigs of free disk space on each partition, Riva TNT, WIN2000/WIN98/Linux OSs. On WIN2000 partition is based instalation of Oracle 8i and MS SQL 7, but all services were down, when I tested W@W. I can do a reinstallation of SP:W@W, but because I've already try installation on two OSs, I do not think that reinstallation will solve the problem.
P.S. I've posted this article as a new thread by mistake. I'm posting it again as a reply. Sorry.
------------------
-----------------------
Dusan Bolek
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:17 am
by Don
Well, you've reached the limit of how much I can help. If you don't have a Voodoo 3 card causing problems, and you're using DirectX 6.1 or higher, then hopefully the guys who know alot more about this stuff than I do will pitch in and help.
Don
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 8:42 pm
by Atila_Boss
Ok, I have switched my graphics card from Riva TNT to GeForce2MX and everything is good now. Old saved games are gone, but I can play new missions and campaigns with no more crashes.
------------------
-----------------------
Dusan Bolek
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 10:18 pm
by AmmoSgt
Atila i'm just guessing here ..BUT.. I have found that after I install an update to SPW@W on my machine i get something like what you describe if i do not do this >>
click start click programns click assecories click systems click disk clean-up....
for some reason the auto install process leaves alot on stuff in my temp files and this empites them