Page 1 of 1

Differences between Allied and Japanese "Fast Transport" TF behaviour...

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:22 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,

Until recently I almost exclusively played my PBEMs as Japanese player.

Now I started playing PBEMs as Allies.


What "hit" me most is the difference between behaviour of Allied and Japanese
"Fast Transport" TFs.


When playing as Japanese you order "Fast Transport" TF "Patrol/Do Not Retire"
and select desired HEX. The TF would go there and wait.

This is extremely useful for "off route" (i.e. using different/unexpected
routes) of transport.

But, strangely, this simply does not work for Allied "Fast Transport" TFs.

I tried changing commanders but to no avail...


Any ideas gentleman?

Any similar experiences?


Leo "Apollo11"

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:14 pm
by AmiralLaurent
Don't understand what you mean... TF behaved exactly the same in my IJN and USN games.

BY the way, when I want my TF to take 'off route' paths, I put them on 'retirement allowed' with the destination hex as home base, and then give then a destination in open seas out the AI path.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:18 pm
by Mr.Frag
This is the classic bug that been debated forever :D

Due to some interface quirks, Japan seems to be able to OVERLOAD Fast Transport TF's.

When switching to play the Allied side, you find that this little glitch is no longer there and suddenly find fast transport results completely different in how they operate.

You'll also find that you can magically transport troops WITH supplies even though you use the Load Troops ONLY option to load your ships.

There is some little glitch hiding in there that seems to only come into play with the smaller Japan units that can actually fit on a small group of ships.

It's a bug, been there since 2.00, may have been there before 2.00, but thats when I got the game ;)

Consider it one of those Japan helpers that gives them a chance :D

It's not that bug...

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:52 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,

It's not that bug (in fact I was one of the people who confirmed it and reported
it to Matrix/2By3 initially).

It's the fact that with Japanese "Fast transport" TF I can send them to HEX x,y
and they would wait there when under orders "Patrol/Do Not retire".


The same I can't achieve with Allied "Fast Transport" TFs... :-(((


They simply never go to my designated HEX x,y (many times they simply go back to
their base port even if they have plenty of fuel)...


Leo "Apollo11"

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:59 pm
by Full Moon
Did it happen in our PBEM game Apollo11? Seems you're trying to send fast transport to PM.:)
I playing two PBEM games as USN now and have no problem with fast transports. They always work fine, although I never tried to send fast trasport to PM.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:00 pm
by Admiral_Arctic
I have found they FT will only operate at dot hexes like Tassaforonga, but not the hex to the SW of it. So maybe your are targeting a non-dot coastal hex and it is not carrying out your orders? As the Japs you might not have gone to these before, but now as the Allies might have to?

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:40 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,
Originally posted by Full Moon

Did it happen in our PBEM game Apollo11? Seems you're trying to send fast transport to PM.:)
The operational word here is "trying"... :-)


I playing two PBEM games as USN now and have no problem with fast transports. They always work fine, although I never tried to send fast trasport to PM.
Perhaps you don't use the "Fast Transport" TFs like I do when I
am playing as Japanese player and my prblem is to use them
as Allies the same way...


Leo "Apollo11"

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:21 pm
by Sonny
One thing which is similar with fast transports from both sides - if you are running them to a base you already own there is a good likelihood that they will stick around until daylight so they can try and shoot down some enemy bombers.:( If you are the Allies your fast transports are safer trying to land troops/supplies at a Japanese held Lunga than they are trying to land troops/supplies at an Allied held Irau.

Somehow this does not seem logical.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:10 pm
by CapAndGown
Apollo,

Just to let you know, I have seen the problem you mention occur, but it never struck me, until you mentioned it, that is was only a problem with the allies.

I sometimes want my FT TFs to loiter around at sea until I am ready to send them in to deliver supplies or what not. Unfortunately, they won't stay put. For some reason the "patrol/do not retire" function doesn't work for the allies. :(

Posted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:23 am
by Oleg Mastruko
I noticed many funny things with FTs, on both sides, but accepted them as "logical" trade-off for using FTs at the first place.

FTs, as simulated in UV, are probably more effective than they were in real life, for both sides, so occasional f*ck-ups are to be expected (as part of simulation) and not necesarilly frowned upon, unless they are obviously bug (like overloading "exploit").

What seems to be the case is - FTs are very sensitive as to the:

a) composition (types of ships)
b) commander (both rank of commander and his characteristics)

And I have to say, contrary to Apollo, that I have seen IJN FTs act in the manner he says applies only to USN (not going to destination and "wait" but going back instead).

As Allies my main fast transport force includes various ship types (AV, APD, DD) and sometimes acts funny (not sailing to destination, refusing to load supplies, loading and then immediatelly unloading troops without going anywhere).

I accept this as quite believable little quirks that could be expected when you do crazy things with ships and stuff during night, and very quickly.

Assigning relatively high ranking officer (with relatively low ratings - cause I don't want to lose Lee or Scott leading FTs) seem to make them a lot more obeying though.

FTs comprising only of DDs, of relatively same characteristics (speed, endurance) - work much better.

O.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:52 am
by Nikademus
Originally posted by Oleg Mastruko

FTs, as simulated in UV, are probably more effective than they were in real life, for both sides, so occasional f*ck-ups are to be expected (as part of simulation) and not necesarilly frowned upon, unless they are obviously bug (like overloading "exploit").
O.


Could not agree more here. Same goes for air troop transport as well. Just seems too easy, and too effective. From my viewpoint, the "logistics" aspect of FT seems too easy. The game doesn't seem to represent the inadequacies of moving troops this way. The IJN was never able to supply more than a fraction of the needs of the army troops at Lunga. It was like trying to fill a bucket of water which has a big hole in the bottom of it.

In the end FT was not an effective substitute for a full fledged Transport TF...(even a small one)

No problems for Japanese "Fast Transport" TFs for me...

Posted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:58 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,

All I can say is that my Japanese "Fast Transport" TFs work 100% as I intend
them to do. I had _NO_ problems whatsoever with then ever (and I played a lot
as Japanese UV player).

I will "play" with Allied "Fast Transport" TFs some more and look for possible
culprit in their disobedience...


Leo "Apollo11"


P.S.
I agree 100% that UV concept of "Fast Transport" is grossly unrealistic.
Historically those kinds of transports were never successful (i.e. Japanese
tried placing stuff on rafts and dispatching it near coat of Guadalcanal in
order to re supply troops but this proved utterly futile).

Posted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:42 pm
by Raverdave
There is only one way to end this...................................................WE NEED WAYPOINTS! ;)

Yes!

Posted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:10 pm
by Apollo11
Originally posted by Raverdave
There is only one way to end this...................................................WE NEED WAYPOINTS! ;)
Yes!

Waypoints!!!

And please don't forget ARCs for aircraft attack/search!!!


This is when UV will become masterpiece...


Leo "Apollo11"