Page 1 of 1

Help - Tf movement

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:21 pm
by goodwin315
Hello, I’m brand new to the game and am trying to figure out the basics by playing through the Guadalcanal campaign. As the Japanese I’ve been trying to move my cru div through the slot to attack the allies at night like the real life sago island. The fleet is at the top of the slot next to shortlands and set to travel at max speed, however whenever I run the turn the fleet only moves one tile not the 9 it says it can. Is there a mechanic I’m missing as I’m finding this very confusing

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:45 pm
by Evoken
They might be getting scared by air power in the area , go into routing page and try with Absolute threat tolarence. Also check if they got fuel

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:06 am
by RangerJoe
You need to set the proper conditions for the fleet movement. They need to move "Direct."

Then there is the issue of Threat Tolerance. It needs to be "High" at the very least.

Have you tried the Coral Sea scenario first? That is usually the better one to learn on.

Set the fleet to move at Mission speed. It will move at the maximum speed if needed but that can cause unneeded damage besides having a much higher fuel consumption.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:34 am
by Dan1977
I would suggest that you replay the turn with an eye towards messages that appear concerning that Task Force. Was it forced to bounce back towards its Home Port by a surface or air threat? Was it short of fuel or ammo? Is the Task Force set to "Allow Retirement" or "Remain on Station". What was the Reaction distance (in hexes) that you set for this TF? Maybe it actually moved down the slot, but retreated back north by daybreak. When the turn ends, it is daylight. The turn starts at night, progresses through morning into afternoon. Did you want those ships to remain in the south during the daylight hours? This will take some practice. Don't be afraid to practice with different settings for the Task Force to see how it reacts to various situations.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:10 am
by goodwin315
Max react is set to 2
Routing is direct
Threat tolerance is absolute
The tf is ordered to remain on station

For the night phase the tf moves one tile then in the day phase it moves one more

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:10 am
by RangerJoe
Send them on "Patrol" with no "Remain on Station." Set "Do not refuel."

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:41 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: goodwin315

Max react is set to 2
Routing is direct
Threat tolerance is absolute
The tf is ordered to remain on station

For the night phase the tf moves one tile then in the day phase it moves one more
Sounds like one of your ships is out of fuel. If the whole TF is low on fuel they will not refuel the one that is out and that will limit movement to one hex per turn.

In addition to threat tolerance, etc. the TF leader needs to have a high enough level of aggression to go where the enemy has a presence.

Make some posts to get your count over 10, then you will be able to post screenshots to help diagnose your issues.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:13 pm
by goodwin315
The ships are set to head down the slot then retreat to shortlands for the fighter cover there, can I still do this with a patrol?

The ship with the lowest fuel is Yayoi and she’s got 77% left. I don’t know how to check the commander’s aggression but I remember them being very aggressive when I picked them due to them being in charge of the only capital ships I’ll have for 2 weeks. RADM Tanaka, R. For reference..

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm
by goodwin315
Can I spam posts on this thread as to not bother anyone else’s thread or will I get banned for spam?

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:26 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: goodwin315

Can I spam posts on this thread as to not bother anyone else’s thread or will I get banned for spam?
Your thread - you can feed it what you want. Tell us about yourself.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:33 pm
by goodwin315
My names jack, I’m 22 and I like long walks on war torn pacific beaches.

I started playing Civ V back in the day and that progressed to Euiv, from there I picked up Hoi 4 but it wasn’t detailed enough for me so here I am. Although that list does miss out a lot of games, it’s just the key steps.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:13 pm
by Ambassador
ORIGINAL: goodwin315

My names jack, I’m 22 and I like long walks on war torn pacific beaches.

I started playing Civ V back in the day and that progressed to Euiv, from there I picked up Hoi 4 but it wasn’t detailed enough for me so here I am. Although that list does miss out a lot of games, it’s just the key steps.
I’m feeling old. I remember playing Civ, EU and HoI, before there were numbers behind the initials, and those weren’t even my first strategy games.[:D][8|]

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:14 pm
by BBfanboy
Have you read a lot of WWII history, especially the Pacific and India-Burma campaigns?

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:45 pm
by RangerJoe
Well, then the question is that if you get snail mail from the ladies, do they start out:

"Dear John . . . "

or

"Dear Jack . . . "
================================
There are plenty of places to post to get your thread count up, but stay off the grass on " The AE Geezer Thread!"
It may be mined. [;)]

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:34 pm
by goodwin315
Bb- Yes, I’m very interested in the history, more the naval and air than the ground forces. I’ve got a thing for Japanese ships, the design choices really speak to me and the pagoda masts just look bitchin’.

Ambassador- if it makes you feel any better I have played a few older titles, I’m particularly keen on the original microprose xcom but man... I’m bad at it

Ranger- unfortunately the only mail I get starts with “dear bill”, or rather are bills... I’ll note the warning though thanks :)

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:25 pm
by AndrewPZ
I used to play wargames but they were Avalon Hill games and it was cardboard counters on a paper map. However since the wonderful event of PCs that do not resemble a potato I have a decent size library of games.

However I am determined to try and get decent at WITP:AE. I had the original and was quite dedicated - I even printed the manual... (just wow).

As for History of WW2 I am quite well informed (I can get by). For games of this ilk I do think its very important to have a working idea of who was where and what they were trying to do.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:28 pm
by goodwin315
I agree with the history not being that important, if anything it’s a hindrance as you ecxpect things to follow a certain path and are disappointed when they don’t. That being said being able to tell a zero from a Oscar and their strengths and weaknesses just by their names is useful for streamlining, oh and i would’ve preferred to put Mikawa in charge of Cru Div 1.

Tangentially please excuse any misspelling or misuse of there and their as I’m very dyslexic and sometime miss things.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 am
by RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: goodwin315

I agree with the history not being that important, if anything it’s a hindrance as you ecxpect things to follow a certain path and are disappointed when they don’t. That being said being able to tell a zero from a Oscar and their strengths and weaknesses just by their names is useful for streamlining, oh and i would’ve preferred to put Mikawa in charge of Cru Div 1.

Tangentially please excuse any misspelling or misuse of there and their as I’m very dyslexic and sometime miss things.

I get frustrated about my misspelling but I am not as concerned with others as long as I can understand what they are trying to state.

Now a witch that miss spells things would be a very bad occupational hazard.

RE: Help - Tf movement

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:07 pm
by bigred
ORIGINAL: goodwin315

My names jack, I’m 22 and I like long walks on war torn pacific beaches.

I started playing Civ V back in the day and that progressed to Euiv, from there I picked up Hoi 4 but it wasn’t detailed enough for me so here I am. Although that list does miss out a lot of games, it’s just the key steps.
a witch that miss spells things would be a very bad occupational hazard.
I started w civ1 and cardboard games "afrikaKorps".