Page 1 of 2

Blitzkrieg any good?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:08 pm
by Mr.Frag
Looked at the demo and it seems to be CC on steroids but it also seems to be a tad too scripted too, falling more in line with a strategy game instead of a war game.

Anyone actually have it care to comment?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:34 pm
by U2
Yes, I like it!

Some people seem to be extatic about it, I'm not as a hardcore wargamer but I truly enjoy gaming it. It's fun!

Depends on what you want. What really makes me give this a thumbs up is that there are 1939-45 campaigns as the Germans and later Allied (starts with Norway I think)) and Russian (not checked starting date...)

My first German campaign has already given me hours of fun and I'm only at 1941. I often have to replay maps since I'm to agressive and get my butt kicked by the AI:D

So is it fun? Yes! + The campaign mode makes this a winner.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:35 pm
by Mr.Frag
Thanks, coming from you thats pretty high praise!

Blitzkrieg

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:38 pm
by Oxtane
I actually played the demo and loved the graphics!! I is basicall Sudden Strike part 2. I loved the game except that it was too easy. They really need to step up the difficulty level.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:39 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Mr.Frag
Thanks, coming from you thats pretty high praise!


:)

Just remember to look at it as an action movie, not very deep but darn entertaining.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:41 pm
by Zakhal
I think i tried the demo and the game felt pitiful. Gotta check the wargamer review.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:46 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Zakhal
I think i tried the demo and the game felt pitiful. Gotta check the wargamer review.


I did not like the demo either....so I took a chance and it turned out to be the right one (for me. not saying you would like it)

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:27 pm
by Fallschirmjager
RTS and WW2 dont mix

I sugest picking up the original sudden strike for abot $10 and if you like that move on.
I cant get past the total unrealisticness of it...hitting a tank several times until its health bar runs out...

I love good rts like Starcraft and Red Alert 2...but those are fun because the subject matter is unrealistic

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:33 pm
by Zakhal
As for "sudden strike" games, cc generals is the best, though a bit short one.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:34 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Unfortunately, for me, if Blitzkrieg was twice as good or even three times as good as SS2 I would say it was still just an RTS game.

The game might be fun, but then, I know some like teaching grade three as well.

All in all, if you don't like Sudden Strike II you won't find enough different about Blitzkrieg.

SS II had neat graphics, buit it looked to much like grade three dynamics with guns.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:54 pm
by Marc von Martial
The Wargamer has a preview up:

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/blitzkrieg/


that might very well be more usefull then a couple of comments from the RTS haters here ;).

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:42 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
The Wargamer has a preview up:

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/blitzkrieg/


that might very well be more usefull then a couple of comments from the RTS haters here ;).


RTS is fun stuff and I'm really a hardcore turn based wargamer:)

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:56 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1

All in all, if you don't like Sudden Strike II you won't find enough different about Blitzkrieg.



How do you know this? Did you buy Blitzkrieg?

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:48 pm
by Marc von Martial
Originally posted by U2
How do you know this? Did you buy Blitzkrieg?


U2,

Les knows all the games, you know, he has played them all or gathered so much hearsay about them that he just knows what they´re about. Or he looks over the shoulder of his friends playing them. ;)

We had this discussion very often know, allways Les steps up and gives his two cents, then he falls back to his monologues about boardgaming and that all he will ever need for the rest of his live will be probably CL and that he won´t be buying any more games after that , hehe ;)

Hey what's wrong with RTS???

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:14 pm
by BrubakerII
Some of the best fun I've had online (sorry Pamela) has been RTS :mad: Lets not overllok the fact that playing games is about having fun! otherwise it would be called work, right?

I love playing the historical stuff but lets face it to a newcomer it is probably dry and dull. If creating RTS games in a ww2 setting can get more kids interested and spending their (parent's) dollars in the genre that benefits all of us.

I think RTS is a much maligned genre but in my opinion there is nothing like it for easy non-cerebral fun head to head on the internet. Perhaps Les you are getting too old in the mind to have some fun playing. I am 39 and if I didn't sometimes get the opportunity online to 'own yooz' I would go (even) madder :)

Brubaker

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:20 pm
by Mr.Frag
Agreed, nothing wrong with RTS games, especially ones that have gotten around the gather phase and let you get right down to work.

I have very fond memories of Outpost II, which in my eyes had the best story line ever written into a game. I played mission after mission just to get the next chapter in the story. Best RTS there ever was.

Depending on how you classify games, Close Combat was a RTS, Harpoon II was an RTS, Great Naval Battles were RTS.

Turn based games are great from a detail level generally, but they just don't apply the same level of stress that comes out of games running in real time. There is something unique that comes from never having enough time to be perfect (turn based) and it drives you to a new level that you just can't get from Turn Based games.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to plunk down insane amounts of money if someone re-creates Avalon Hill's Jutland as I love naval battles but I play all game types.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:57 pm
by Belisarius
Seems like the next RTS just hit the shelves; WWII: Frontline Command.

Isometric view (gah!), but true 3D (as in a wall is a wall, hide behind it and the enemy won't see you), true fog of war (as in you won't know the enemy is there until your troops can see him) and supposedly true modelling of tanks/armor along with a decent AI. Says the reviewer at Gamesdomain at least. :rolleyes:

Might be worth a demo download until EYSA is here. ;)

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:58 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Belisarius
Might be worth a demo download until EYSA is here. ;)


I was happily surprised that the target for EYSA is early July:)

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:23 pm
by Platoonist
Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to plunk down insane amounts of money if someone re-creates Avalon Hill's Jutland as I love naval battles but I play all game types.

Mr. Frag...have you ever looked into this Jutland title?

http://209.216.35.193/Pages/products/Na ... tland.html

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:54 pm
by Mr.Frag
I asked about HPS Jutland and pretty much everyone flamed John Tiller as the worst programmer ever to live on planet earth so I shied away from the title much as I'd love to see AH's Jutland.