Page 1 of 1

Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:40 pm
by 3683d
Hello,

I'm new to the game and am still learning it, so question below may seem silly if the answer is obvious.

Is there a way to make ASuW patrol helicopter maintain automatically a standoff distance on any unknown, unfriendly or hostile contacts ?
When I assign my helicopter to maritime patrols, I don't want them to be shot down because they closed enemy ships too much. I found a checkbox for maintaining standoff during attacks, but how to do it with unarmed helicopters or during patrol flights, without controling them manually ?

Thanks for your answers !

RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:23 pm
by Gunner98
Not really an obvious answer, takes a bit to do what you're asking.

Draw a circle of RPs around the target you want to avoid. Lock the RPs to the target and make it a no-nav zone. The RPs will move with the target as long as you have a firm contact with it.

Haven't done it in a while and there may be better ways but there you go.


RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:34 pm
by stww2
Can you actually make RPs relative to non-friendly units? I swear I saw Kushan try to do this on a recent stream and the game wouldn't let him.

RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 pm
by thewood1
You couldn't the last time tried it. Unless you are in the scenario editor. But its been quite a while since I tried it.

RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:27 pm
by boogabooga
If the helicopter is unarmed, do you really need to be using the Patrol mission?

Perhaps consider a support mission the brings the helicopter to where its sensors can see what you want them to, but not any closer.

RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:33 pm
by Gunner98
Yeah it has been a while. You used to be able to do it as long as you had a firm fix on the unit but that could have changed.

A long time ago you could do it and then follow the RPs once you lost contact with the enemy unit but that was fixed almost immediately.

I haven't tried lately.

RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 am
by 3683d
Thanks a lot for the replies.
It’s not exactly what I’m looking for but I think there is no option to automatically do what I need.
In real life in wartime, a patrol aircraft wouldn’t randomly patrol exposing itself to potential threats.
An option for maintaining stand-off distance on unknown and unfriendly ships would be a nice addition !
I will try manually with moving ref points when these tracks are located.
Thanks again.

RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:20 am
by Kushan04
ORIGINAL: stww2

Can you actually make RPs relative to non-friendly units? I swear I saw Kushan try to do this on a recent stream and the game wouldn't let him.

I did some experimenting. You CAN make reference points relative or fixed to another sides units but only in editor mode. You can't do it during normal play.

RE: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:19 am
by Gunner98
You CAN make reference points relative or fixed to another sides units but only in editor mode. You can't do it during normal play.

Good to know - thanks. Can you confirm that RPs made in Editor mode will continue to be fixed to the other side when played in normal play?


Re: Helicopter Standoff

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:42 pm
by 3683d
Hello,

Refreshing this thread in order to know if there is a solution, especially since the last update which changed a lot of things ?
Is there a way to make ASuW patrol helicopter maintain automatically a standoff distance on any unknown, unfriendly or hostile contacts ?
When I assign my helicopter to maritime patrols, I don't want them to be shot down because they closed enemy ships too much. I found a checkbox for maintaining standoff during attacks, but how to do it with unarmed helicopters or during patrol flights, without controling them manually ?
In real life in wartime, a patrol aircraft wouldn’t randomly patrol exposing itself to potential threats.
An option for maintaining stand-off distance on unknown and unfriendly ships would be a nice addition
Thanks if someone has a solution.