Page 1 of 2
Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:08 pm
by HansBolter
Can anyone hazard an explanation for why the Priest SP Artillery unit has an Anti-Soft value so much lower than a standard towed 105mm artillery piece?
The AS value of 16 is one point LOWER than 3.7" Mountain, Para and Jungle guns.
Were Priests really this ineffective?
This is a modded scenario so I can't vouch for what AS value Priests may have in stock.
If no one can provide a good explanation for why it is so nerfed I will most likely upgrade it for my next game.

RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm
by Nomad
The only thing that I can think of is maybe it is to model a more limited ammo supply?
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:50 pm
by RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: Nomad
The only thing that I can think of is maybe it is to model a more limited ammo supply?
Probably correct. My turn is running so I can't check my game.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:01 pm
by HansBolter
ORIGINAL: Nomad
The only thing that I can think of is maybe it is to model a more limited ammo supply?
Arrived at that same conclusion upon further consideration, but it still irks me that it is lower than mountain guns.
18-20 seems like a more reasonable nerf to me.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:24 pm
by RangerJoe
That looks right for the artillery priest but look at the vehicle priest and you will see different numbers, including a load cost of 26.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:44 am
by Ian R
The M7 Priest AFV may been depowered in the scenario in use.
In vanilla scenario 1, device #1186, the "M7 Priest SP Arty" (classed as an AFV) has a-arm/a-soft of 60/26, and load cost 26. Range 12,Accuracy 6, penetration 60, effect 35, armor 35.
In iron man, device #1186, the "M7 Priest SP Arty" (classed as an AFV) has a-arm/a-soft of 41/26, and load cost 26. Range 12,Accuracy 6, penetration 41, effect 35, armor 35.
In iron man, device #1098, the "Priest SP Arty" (classed as a 'army weapon', i.e artillery) has a-arm/a-soft of 35/16, and load cost 26. Other numbers: Range 13,Accuracy 5, penetration 60, effect 35, armor 35.
In the vanilla scenario the numbers for device #1098 are the same, except it only has a load cost of 11.
The 18th SP FA Rgt uses device #1098.
Edit: I am not sure if any other unit uses it.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:26 am
by Leandros
Sorry, my mix-up.
Fred
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:33 am
by HansBolter
ORIGINAL: Ian R
The M7 Priest AFV may been depowered in the scenario in use.
In vanilla scenario 1, device #1186, the "M7 Priest SP Arty" (classed as an AFV) has a-arm/a-soft of 60/26, and load cost 26. Range 12,Accuracy 6, penetration 60, effect 35, armor 35.
In iron man, device #1186, the "M7 Priest SP Arty" (classed as an AFV) has a-arm/a-soft of 41/26, and load cost 26. Range 12,Accuracy 6, penetration 41, effect 35, armor 35.
In iron man, device #1098, the "Priest SP Arty" (classed as a 'army weapon', i.e artillery) has a-arm/a-soft of 35/16, and load cost 26. Other numbers: Range 13,Accuracy 5, penetration 60, effect 35, armor 35.
In the vanilla scenario the numbers for device #1098 are the same, except it only has a load cost of 11.
The 18th SP FA Rgt uses device #1098.
Edit: I am not sure if any other unit uses it.
Thanks for the detailed run down.
I recall having them in my last game (scen 40), but don't recall the unit name.
The values I clipped a screen shot of are from your Long Road to Tokyo scenario.
I tweaked a few things to make the scenario my own, but did not adjust the Priests.
I'm enjoying it immensely btw.
Have a question for you. I was concerned about your combining some units in conglomerates, which I presume was done to keep the total unit count manageable.
IIRC your scenario notes mentioned that you were unsure of what effect it might have.
I spent considerable time editing all of the conglomerate LST units back to individual ship types but the scenario would not load after doing so. I then spent considerable time editing them all back to the conglomerate units.
My concern and question is will the game engine treat a conglomerate 6 ship LST unit as a single ship for combat purposes?
If one Betty can sink 6 LSTs with one torpedo the Allied fleet will be under considerably more strain in Kamikaze country.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:40 am
by BBfanboy
There is also the unit "Provisional GMC" in the Philippines that has the forerunner to the Priest - same chassis I think but only a 75mm gun. Not sure how that one would be modeled in Ironman - could they have called it a Priest but left it with the 75mm gun? That would put the values somewhere around the mountain gun values. During modding it might show incorrectly as 105mm?
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:41 pm
by Leandros
I believe the GMC (Gun Motor Carriage) is half-track.
Fred
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:47 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Leandros
I believe the GMC (Gun Motor Carriage) is half-track.
Fred
Ah - right you are! I thought the Priest was too but I see on looking it up it is full tracked. Respective designations M3 and M7.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:19 pm
by RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Leandros
I believe the GMC (Gun Motor Carriage) is half-track.
Fred
Ah - right you are! I thought the Priest was too but I see on looking it up it is full tracked. Respective designations M3 and M7.
The GMC is the tank destroyer that was used early in the war. I do not believe that it had indirect fire capabilities.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:30 pm
by fcooke
I think the Priest was based on an M3 or maybe even M4 chassis. That said, those GMCs and the light tank units in the PI can really mess up the IJA if the IJA gets sloppy. I think there were also a couple of GMCs on Wake but I cannot remember how they did. I wonder how much more trouble the Wildcats could have caused if so many of them were not caught on the ground on the first day. I guess ditto for the AAF in the PI.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm
by fcooke
I just looked it up, M7 was built on an M3 chassis.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:32 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: fcooke
I just looked it up, M7 was built on an M3 chassis.
That is contrary to my look-up on google images which labeled the Provisional GMC halftrack as the M3 while the full tracked Priest was labeled M7. Perhaps the chassis of the halftrack was easily converted to full track and used on the Priest? You never know with these modders ... [:D]
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:36 pm
by RangerJoe
It later used the M4 chassis when the M3 was phased out.
The British Priest may have lower numbers because of the different than Commonwealth standard ammunition and the resulting supply issues.
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:40 pm
by RangerJoe
There was the M3 halftrack which was based upon the White M3 scout car besides the M3 medium tank which was the Grant/Lee not to mention the M3 Stuart tank. [&:]
This is besides the M3 Grease Gun which did not lubricate vehicles but rather fired the .45 ACP round.

RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:09 pm
by HansBolter
Yes the multiple M3s are confusing, but the M7 Priest was built on the M3 and M4 Tank chassis.
I believe the Canadians used ones with the howitzer removed as APCs in Normandy. It was called a Defrocked Priest.

RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:24 pm
by fcooke
Weren't they called Grizzlys as well?
RE: Priest Anti-Soft Value?
Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:31 am
by Reg