Page 1 of 1

Why are my Construction Units not Auto Repairing rail yards?

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:59 pm
by Mike Donner
I've read in the manual that construction support units with HQ's will automatically seek out facilities to repair (with a list of priorities even), or fortifications to help build, within the command range of that HQ, and after having passed an admin check.

Is there something more to this?

I ask because I have had Pskov (priority), Luga (priority), Dno (priority) Novgorod, and Chudovo (priority) for multiple turns now and only Chudovo has a CU working the Rail yard from a corps HQ placed in the town. Everyone is linked to the supply net with rail.

Novgorod has 25 rail yard damage and 2nd Panzer Corps sitting in it with two unused CU's. I also have multiple HQ's around, and have been around, with CU's and every Army Group and OKH with over three CU's doing mostly nothing.

Please tell me if i'm missing something, or if it's designed to be a rare thing. Even with Priority Repair is it common to have to spend an AP and send a construction unit to repair it yourself?

I thought this would all be working smoothly: Take a rail yard and set it to priority repair, where I'll build a depot and follow up shortly behind with the rail repair. I assumed the auto assignment of CU's would easily fall in line with the process after selecting Priority Repair. So being turn 15 and discovering that hasn't been the case is probably the reason i'm having a hard time getting freight up to the front line. This could be what's causing my transports to have to remain so far back with the 400 or more freight locations, not allowing me to resupply my furthest points.

I imagine what could have been if indeed my supply is being effected because of the slow repairing of rail yards, which would be effecting the depots. I'd appreciate any help in clearing this up! Thanks.

RE: Why are my Construction Units not Auto Repairing rail yards?

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:58 pm
by carlkay58
The Axis have a shortage of construction units during the war. Each installation will repair itself automatically without need of a construction unit. Priority Repairs will draw construction units (usually) but not always. You should note repair going on whether a construction unit is present or not - although it will repair faster with a construction unit present.

But one thing that any repair situation requires is supply. If you are repairing railyards off of a connected rail net then it will be slow going as the supplies will have to be trucked in and it seems to me that it is of the lowest priority. It is even hard to expand an airbase that is not on a rail with a depot.

RE: Why are my Construction Units not Auto Repairing rail yards?

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:05 pm
by carlkay58
The Axis have a shortage of construction units during the war. Each installation will repair itself automatically without need of a construction unit. Priority Repairs will draw construction units (usually) but not always. You should note repair going on whether a construction unit is present or not - although it will repair faster with a construction unit present.

But one thing that any repair situation requires is supply. If you are repairing railyards off of a connected rail net then it will be slow going as the supplies will have to be trucked in and it seems to me that it is of the lowest priority. It is even hard to expand an airbase that is not on a rail with a depot.

RE: Why are my Construction Units not Auto Repairing rail yards?

Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:09 am
by Kel
I have a related problem : in the Stalingrad campaign two of my NKPS hqs can no more repair railroads. Their RV is at 0 since several turns. the TOE is close to 100%. Is there a way to restore the RRV ? Did I miss something ? or is it a bug?