login | register | search | faq | forum home
Jump to new posts
» You are not logged in. Login or register Battlefront.com Discussion Area »
Airborne Assault » Airborne Assault » Anyone using 800 x 600 screen resolution?
UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!
Author Topic: Anyone using 800 x 600 screen resolution?
Arjuna
Member
Member # 7393
posted November 12, 2002 08:07 PM
For Game 2 we would like to satisfy the growing desire for more information.
However, one of the hurdles is finding enough screen real estate. One possible
option is to make the minimum screen resolution 1024 x 768, rather than 800 x
600.
We would really like to hear from anyone using 800 x 600. Would you be too upset
if we went to 1024 x 768?
Dave
--------------------
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
dave@panthergames.com
IP: Logged
markshot
Member
Member # 3833
posted November 12, 2002 11:20 PM
Dave,
I think you should also survey if the game elements are sufficiently readable at
1024x768 on various types of displays.
I am using a 21" CRT display and AA at 1024x768; I find the font sizes just
acceptable for my eyes. I couldn't see running it at that resolution on say a
17" display.
--------------------
Mark "MarkShot" Kratzer
Author of STK/EAW (Shoot to Kill/European Air War)
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_co ... ndex.shtml
IP: Logged
Brian Rock
Member
Member # 67
posted November 12, 2002 11:40 PM
I run 1024x768 on a 17 inch. I've been meaning to try the other resolutions but
haven't yet.
--------------------
Never argue with an idiot.
They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
IP: Logged
citizen
Member
Member # 680
posted November 13, 2002 03:07 AM
I run at 1024 x 768 on a 19" monitor. But I'm going to upgrade before the next
installment and will be going to 1280 x 1024.
I say drop 800 x 600.
citizen
IP: Logged
PIATpunk
Member
Member # 4067
posted November 13, 2002 06:10 AM
I can't believe that anyone would find 800x600 in any way a useful resolution
for just about anything these days. 1152x864 for me.
Chris
--------------------
Airborne Assault IRC chat/multiplayer:
join the #airborne_assault channel on EFnet!
IP: Logged
ZarahNeander
Junior Member
Member # 7621
posted November 13, 2002 06:41 AM
Ditching 800x600 will hurt the laptop/notebook users. I would prefer a variable
UI, sacrificing some layout elements on lower resolutions. If this isn't
possible (read: too much work for the programmers ) then get rid of 800x600.
Just my .2$
IP: Logged
coralsaw
Member
Member # 3223
posted November 13, 2002 06:57 AM
I've never even bothered with the 800x resolution, 1024x768 on a 1y old Dell
laptop here. Unless you have a 2y old laptop or older, you won't have a problem.
More real estate is good. I'd love to see the command portion of the screen
toggle on-off with the push of the button too. In fact this would be a step
closer to heaven.
/coralsaw
--------------------
My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...
IP: Logged
Tbone
Member
Member # 10722
posted November 13, 2002 07:07 AM
1280 x 1024 on a laptop. I know the feeling of having a semi-older computer and
having games come out that are unplayable due their specs. Took me awhile to
upgrade, however I am all for increased unit information and visual clarity.
Tbone
IP: Logged
Werewolf
Member
Member # 10955
posted November 13, 2002 11:36 AM
I run AA on a 17" Viewsonic and any resolution over 1024X768 has to be run with
a refresh rate of 60Hz. I tried it at 1280X1024 but the noticable 60Hz flicker
was just too much to bear.
1024X768 is my resolution of choice (for now - if I had a 19" or 21" monitor
that supported 85Hz or higher refresh rates at the higher resolutions then I'd
probably switch - but for now that is not an option).
Werewolf
--------------------
Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
IP: Logged
Agua
Member
Member # 4852
posted November 13, 2002 02:06 PM
I run AA on 1024 x 768 on a 21" monitor. 800 x 600 is too grainy and at 1280 x
1024 the detail / text is too small.
--------------------
Earn this... Earn it.
-Capt. John H. Miller
June 13, 1944
IP: Logged
JeF
Member
Member # 9351
posted November 13, 2002 04:43 PM
FWIW, I play exclusively AA at 1024x768 on 17" monitor. Found it to be the best.
On my old PC, with 2MB VRAM and 14" display, I found out that 1024x768 was
playable.
My 2 cents,
JeF.
[ November 13, 2002, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: JeF ]
--------------------
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
The Drop Zone
IP: Logged
jrcar
Member
Member # 6271
posted November 13, 2002 05:32 PM
Kill 800x600
Rob
--------------------
My wife says I have the body of a God
Buddha!
IP: Logged
Golf33
Member
Member # 9916
posted November 13, 2002 10:15 PM
I use 1024x768 on a 17" monitor. I tried 1280x1024 but the poor refresh rate of
my monitor gave me a headache.
Cheers
33
--------------------
Fire support is an art form - the landscape is your canvas....And I'm not a fan
of Picasso.
The Drop Zone
IP: Logged
Captain Wacky
Member
Member # 6560
posted November 14, 2002 10:28 PM
Game 2? Where is game 2 taking place?
1280x1024 BTW
[ November 14, 2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]
--------------------
"Who cares if it was a fair fight or not? This isn't flag football and we're not
spotting the Iraqis 100 Abrams tanks to make it interesting."
"And I think your opinions are just so much flatulence bubbling into the
ionosphere." --CMplayer
IP: Logged
Grouchy
Member
Member # 1904
posted November 15, 2002 06:26 AM
Using 1024x768 on a 17", no problems here with getting rid of 800x600.
Game 2?
Click here
--------------------
A cavalry general should be a master of practical science,
know the value of seconds, despise life, and not trust to
chance.
Napoleon
IP: Logged
Brian Rock
Member
Member # 67
posted November 15, 2002 11:23 PM
Looking cool...
OK, Grouchy, spill the beans.
--------------------
Never argue with an idiot.
They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
IP: Logged
Tbone
Member
Member # 10722
posted November 15, 2002 11:41 PM
North Africa, game 2, can't wait, enough said. Well not enough yet, AA's system
should be perfect for the fluid battles that took place in NA. Not to get off
topic, it will look great in any resolution.
IP: Logged