Page 1 of 1
Help on Map Editing
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 12:37 am
by Almogavar
I was working on a map of Caen South West, a really big map (100x240H). Is possible to divide this one in several independent smaller maps?. I used Steel Panthers World at War Map Editor to do it, but only the north of map is showed.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Almogavar
------------------
Desperta ferro.
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 1:47 am
by Fabs
Almogavar, it's done using Fred Chalanda's WawMap utility.
You should have this already, it's included in SPWAW and it can be found in the Chalanda directory.
It allows you to cut and paste elements of maps.
I don't know if it can handle the size of map you are talking about.
Fred has a website where you can contact him and ask questions:
http://freds.webprovider.com/
The map you are working on sounds cool, I would definitely be interested in it.
------------------
Fabs
[This message has been edited by Fabs (edited December 07, 2000).]
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 3:20 am
by skukko
Caen-south-west. Was it the place where teenage SS-panthers kept British forces pinned? Sounds interesting...about map: read Fabs above.
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 3:52 am
by Almogavar
Thanks Fabs. Yes WawMap utility allows you to cut and paste elements of maps, but the problem is that I can load only the north of map. I will try to contact with Fred.
If you want, I can send you the map. Well is big, from Mondeville to Garcelles-Sequeville (North-South) and from Bras to Frenouville (East-West), is done from pictures that I took this summer and maps 1:50.000.
Almogavar
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 4:07 am
by Almogavar
Hey Skukko, I didn´t see your post, yes, you can use it for "Goodwood", 11st Armoured Division versus I./SS-PzRgt.1 and SS-StuGs. in Bourgebous-Bras-Sequeville, and the day after with the 7th Armoured. Or Canadians versus SS-PzGr. and Pz.IVs in Tilly-La-Campagne, and more to the West versus the "Hitler Youth". If someone more is interested I can contact with Tankhead or Fabio.
Thanks, Almogavar
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 9:46 am
by David boutwell
Almogavar,
I'd love to see your map, if you are ready and willing to share it.
Dave Boutwell
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 10:46 am
by Almogavar
Hi David, I don´t know if my server is working correctly, if the map didn´t arrive let me know it.
Almogavar
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 8:06 pm
by Fabs
Originally posted by Almogavar:
Thanks Fabs. Yes WawMap utility allows you to cut and paste elements of maps, but the problem is that I can load only the north of map. I will try to contact with Fred.
If you want, I can send you the map. Well is big, from Mondeville to Garcelles-Sequeville (North-South) and from Bras to Frenouville (East-West), is done from pictures that I took this summer and maps 1:50.000.
Almogavar
I am interested, boy, am I interested!
My e-mail is
fabio@mantegazza.demon.co.uk
Thanks in advance, my friend!
------------------
Fabs
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 8:52 am
by David boutwell
Almogavar,
I didn't receive your map. Try this email address:
boutwell@erols.com
Thank you very much,
David Boutwell
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 10:07 am
by Almogavar
2nd attempt, David. This time two e-mail, I´dont know for who is the second.
Almogavar
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 10:36 am
by David boutwell
Almogavar,
Awesome map! I'm a perfectionist when it comes to designing a map that, to the best of one's ability to research the map, reflects the actual terrain. Many maps just don't impress me very much, but yours definitely did! It ranks up there with maps such as Drake's D-Day maps. The only thing is, I got out my copy of "Steel Inferno", and could find references to the villages on your map, but on none of the maps in the book could I find the area represented by your map!

Do you have this book? And if you do, which map shows this area. I'd love to design some scenarios based upon the engagements in this area that are described in this book. Or, are you already doing that??
Dave boutwell
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 6:23 am
by skukko
Hi Almogavar!
Now I can say that you have dóne good job. Just finishedone test pbem -game on it and it Very playable. Panzers beware of infantry! And youth SS I meant was indeed 12th. Hope you'll continue with maps : )
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2000 11:32 am
by Wild Bill
Almogavar, I'd love to see you post that in the map depot. It would make it much easier for everyone to download it and also save you some time.
In the meanwhile, send me a copy too, please
I think if you load the larger blank map Fred has included in the map editor, you'll be able to see the bigger map. It is file CLr_map2.dat.
Then load your map on top of it. That should work for you. Let me know, please...Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games