Page 1 of 1
which campaings are best
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 5:12 pm
by jerrek
this has been covered but i am looking for good small campaigns. I have started heroes of motherland but is just a bit to big for me to get into. I would prefer to have less units so i enjoy it a bit more and concentrate on them without being weighed down by so many units. On the deploy i just autodeployed because i was just overwhelmed with units.
Ps. my 2 t-34's took on about 50% of the germans for about 4-5 turns. I swear the armour should have been worn down from constant mg, 20mm, 37mm, 50mm and 75mm hits from reasonably close range (like 1 hex). They did knock out 1 t-34 gun though as a retreated them and prayed for divine intervention as they turned their back. Is their anyway to retreat backwards.
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 9:41 pm
by molset
Hi.
Try the Tulagi campaign. Its a short one with only 4 scens. I was lucky (really lucky)and the whole campaign was over in a short evening. A good one. Just be shure to use your artillery resources well. The Jap will otherwise sap you. Gang up on Jap squads to let him loose second shot accusition. Treat bunkers and caves with flanking manouvers.
Good luck.
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 10:58 pm
by Wild Bill
Tulagi is an excellent one to really get into campaigns. Another one that might be good and is not so big is the Preparing the Way campaign. 5-7 battles and pretty easy to handle. That one should either be in your game or you can download it from the Game Depot at SPWAW site.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 3:47 am
by Billy Yank
If you're talking about number of units when you say the campaign was "too big", try WBW's "Utah to the Rhine". I haven't played it yet, myself, but looking at the AARs posted here, it looks like you only have enough points to buy approximately a company of troops.
------------------
Billy Yank
I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 9:29 am
by jerrek
thanks for your help. I did mean size of force, not the number of scenarios (i was implicit enough). I just feel that sometimes designers feel that bigger is better and i get lost with so many units. I suspect that perhaps a few people who only play a bit feel this way. I finally found the campaigns in the depot - took a while because i couldn't get the search to find campaigns. So i just looked at the page of all scenarios. Hope i find one which is good size for me.
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 11:56 pm
by victorhauser
I, for one, am an advocate of the "Bigger is Better" campaign concept. The main reason is that I like the combined-arms interplay that big campaigns can portray better than small campaigns. But I also understand that, for a variety of reasons, small campaigns have a valid place in the SPWaW universe.
Personally, I'd like to see a ratio of about 25% Monster Campaigns, 50% Big Campaigns, and 25% Small Campaigns.
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 1:08 am
by Pantherblaster
Hi there,
if you want something of a short campaign then DON'T pick from Utah to the Rhine, because even if you manage to get decisive victories only throughout then we are still talking about 10 games at the minimum! It is quite a good campaign though, the size of your force ofcourse depends on what you choose in your core force. If you pick lots of "advanced" tanks then your force is going to be small. if you choose lots of cheap units then your force is going to be much larger, although you will likely have much less firepower. I prefer the latter option as you can upgrade your force during the campaign whilst you can't increase the number of slots used in your core force, but that will differ from player to player.
Regards,
PANTHERBLASTER
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 2:57 am
by Wild Bill
If its any comfort Jerrek, I prefer as a rule the smaller battles. There are many of those. Every once in a while I get a hankering for a "momo" (monster) campaign or scenario. I know others do too.
What we try to do is have some of all of them, open battles, urban battles, large, small, short, long...a taste of every kind of size and situation.
This way, no matter your personal taste, you'll find something that suits your fancy.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 11:26 pm
by Warrior
You do not have to use all your Purchase/Support budget when picking units. I started campaign play with a minimum of units, the AI will adjust the opposing forces accordingly.
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 3:09 am
by Pantherblaster
Originally posted by REMF:
You do not have to use all your Purchase/Support budget when picking units. I started campaign play with a minimum of units, the AI will adjust the opposing forces accordingly.
Are you sure that is the case? It could be wright, but I have no idea about that in a campaign. Maybe Bill or another veteran could confirm this?
Thanks,
PANTHERBLASTER
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 4:29 am
by Wild Bill
I can't say with certainty about this one either. I rarely play generated battles or campaigns. I'll try to test it, though...WB
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 10:03 pm
by Billy Yank
According to one of the Matrix guys (I think it was Paul V), the AI picks its force according to the current value of your forces. This means that your opponent should get tougher as you upgrade your units, and as your leaders gain experience (if you have True Troop Cost turned on).
------------------
Billy Yank
I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.
[This message has been edited by Billy Yank (edited December 11, 2000).]
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 3:04 am
by Billy Yank
I just realized my last message could be confusing. What I said there applys to Generated Campaigns and Long Campaigns only. When playing a Designed Campaign (like Utah to the Rhine), the designer has picked the AI's forces and they don't change no matter what the value of your forces.
------------------
Billy Yank
I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.