Page 1 of 1
No Air unit for Central Front when converted from Kharkov MD
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:18 am
by Chubb
Not sure how reproducible this is, or if it's covered elsewhere I couldn't see it. Started playing '41 campaign as soviet against AI in 1.00.11 and kept on going as 1.01 beta.
After the Central Front came into play with the disband of Kharkov MD, there was no corresponding air HQ aligned with it. No problem I thought, can task the long range air HQ.
However the more I think about this the stranger that seems. Is this as intended or a consequence of bastardising versions of the engine and scenario updates?
Still learning lots!
RE: No Air unit for Central Front when converted from Kharkov MD
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:13 am
by loki100
ORIGINAL: Chubb
Not sure how reproducible this is, or if it's covered elsewhere I couldn't see it. Started playing '41 campaign as soviet against AI in 1.00.11 and kept on going as 1.01 beta.
After the Central Front came into play with the disband of Kharkov MD, there was no corresponding air HQ aligned with it. No problem I thought, can task the long range air HQ.
However the more I think about this the stranger that seems. Is this as intended or a consequence of bastardising versions of the engine and scenario updates?
Still learning lots!
its historical, so WAD. In 1941-2 you have less air commands than Fronts, from 1943 more.
remember that Central Front was effectively disbanded after Guderain pushed south and not re-activated till the build up for Kursk. Since it was kept as an active command (just with no combat formations), its left in the game for you to use, So no, its a "consequence of bastardising versions of the engine and scenario updates" - whatever that may involve.
RE: No Air unit for Central Front when converted from Kharkov MD
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 am
by Dreamslayer
Central Front (1941) had own Air Command (VVS). Central Front VVS was under command of Grigoriy Vorozheikin (General-Major aviatsii from 31 Aug 1941).
RE: No Air unit for Central Front when converted from Kharkov MD
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 am
by loki100
and had no combat role from Oct 41 to the build up for Kursk?
RE: No Air unit for Central Front when converted from Kharkov MD
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:26 am
by Dreamslayer
ORIGINAL: loki100
and had no combat role from Oct 41 to the build up for Kursk?
There are many units/formations that have a similar name but they can have absolutely no relation.
There was 2 different Central Fronts during this war. Often such cases can be marked by (I),(II) etc. , that means number of formation.
Central Front (I) and its Air Command was disbanded 25 August 1941.
Central Front (II) was renamed from Don Front on 15 Feb 1943 nad then was renamed to Belorussian Front (I) on 20 Oct 1943. To this Front was subordinated 16th Air Army. So this 16th Air Army and Central Front (I) VVS had no any relation.
RE: No Air unit for Central Front when converted from Kharkov MD
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:36 am
by Chubb
Thanks everyone for that information! That changes game play as the active enemy facing fronts need to have the active VVS air HQs and those without need to be layered behind effectively like Steppe Front was used initially in '43 for troop control in depth. I was expecting the air HQ to pop up based from my experience with WITE1.
Za Rodinu! Still so much to learn
RE: No Air unit for Central Front when converted from Kharkov MD
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:26 am
by loki100
ORIGINAL: Chubb
Thanks everyone for that information! That changes game play as the active enemy facing fronts need to have the active VVS air HQs and those without need to be layered behind effectively like Steppe Front was used initially in '43 for troop control in depth. I was expecting the air HQ to pop up based from my experience with WITE1.
Za Rodinu! Still so much to learn
they actually don't need their own air command.
Simply give say the Bryansk Front (since that is likely to be in the geographic area), 2 GS ADs, one for each front.
The direct command relationship from WiTE1 doesn't apply, in theory any air command can fly operations in support of any ground command.
In general, it helps to keep this 1:1 but that is essentially to make it easier to manage your deployment and operations