Page 1 of 1

Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:54 am
by aoffen
Firstly apologies for the image quality.

Can anyone explain why my supply in Burma has vanished> Rangoon is supposed to be main supply but is level 1. I have looked at the manual but am struggling to understand why and what to do about it.


Image

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 am
by ncc1701e
Is the port supply interdict?

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:38 am
by aoffen
No, it says it is on Mains Supply

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:54 am
by YueJin
It's an awkward conflict between port supply and main supply. Rangoon won't supply units by port because it is itself in range of a main supply source. Once Moulmein is taken all the supply problems will be sorted out as it's a port that's outside the range of main supply and so will begin port supply in the area.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:15 am
by AlvaroSousa
It is supposed to be a touch area to move supplies around. Each hex here is 4 WPE hexes.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:30 pm
by Remington700
ORIGINAL: YueJin

It's an awkward conflict between port supply and main supply. Rangoon won't supply units by port because it is itself in range of a main supply source. Once Moulmein is taken all the supply problems will be sorted out as it's a port that's outside the range of main supply and so will begin port supply in the area.


Thank you. That is what happened in my game - now I know why.

The next issue becomes that most of the allied units will be in Basic Supply once they move into Thailand, meaning no reinforcements and a small effectiveness recovery rate (3% - although I have not tested to see if the hex and HQ bonus apply). I do like this as it makes supply a factor as it should be. However I have yet to figure out how to counter the problem.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:59 pm
by eskuche
You can approach from the east for access to those ports. There is enough supply from Moulmein/Rangoon to support 3 full corps, which is generally enough to take some of the other smaller ports on the west.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:53 pm
by YueJin
From my experience, the moment you have Moulmein, Rangoon will also add its 80 port supply to any hexes that are port instead of main supply and you can afford so many corps sized units and land based air by the end of 1943 it just becomes untenable for Japan to hold South-East Asia throughout 1944 regardless of supply as you can just rotate fresh units out constantly.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm
by Remington700
That was the case in my game. However as I pushed down the Malayan Peninsula and took a couple small ports I broke things. Supply has changed to basic for most of the area. It sounds like I should have stayed in Thailand and Indochina.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:39 pm
by YueJin
I'm pretty sure your issue there is that none of the Malayan ports south of Moulmein offer allied supply until you take Saigon, Kuala Lumpar or Batavia. That special rule remains in effect for the whole game but is easily forgotten about in '44.

Never mind, just looked at the AAR. It's main VS port supply conflict again in that screenshot, I think due to the HQ extending level 1 main supply across a lot of that Northern sector.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 pm
by aoffen
typo

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:20 pm
by aoffen
ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

It is supposed to be a touch area to move supplies around. Each hex here is 4 WPE hexes.

I get that. Just trying to understand the "how's and why's" so I can manage the situation better.
This is my learning game against the Japanese AI, so just pushing stuff around really.

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:00 pm
by aoffen
Interestingly in the Supply view there is a big yellow circle around Calcutta and also Bombay, Colombo, Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Canton and others. No reference I can see in the news. Any one have any idea what they mean?

RE: Supply question

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:04 pm
by mjpatterson
Level 5 or larger port