Page 1 of 1

attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:03 am
by fulcrum28
I often use the attack planning window, but I would like that sometimes the units do not advance into the victory hex.
Is there a way to set the attack via the planning window so the units do not advance after combat? (I am almost sure it is possible but I cannot recall the method of hot key for that).

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:24 am
by 76mm
I have the same problem, and this is the main reason I don't use the attack planning window. There is no indication in the manual that there is a hotkey to set limited or normal attacks. This is probably the only game I have for which the manual does not include an appendix, etc, with a list of hotkeys.


RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:11 am
by Curtis Lemay
ORIGINAL: fulcrum28

I often use the attack planning window, but I would like that sometimes the units do not advance into the victory hex.
Is there a way to set the attack via the planning window so the units do not advance after combat? (I am almost sure it is possible but I cannot recall the method of hot key for that).
Right click on the unit. You get the attack selection popup.

Image

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:12 am
by Curtis Lemay
ORIGINAL: 76mm

I have the same problem, and this is the main reason I don't use the attack planning window. There is no indication in the manual that there is a hotkey to set limited or normal attacks. This is probably the only game I have for which the manual does not include an appendix, etc, with a list of hotkeys.

Hot keys are listed in section 6.1.

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:48 pm
by Zovs
What Bob is failing to tell you is:

Use `Single unit/group limited attack/Minimize losses`

Image

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:05 pm
by 76mm
ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Hot keys are listed in section 6.1.
OK, my mistake...but they are not easy at all to find. They are not mentioned in the Table of Contents. There is no index. If you search for hotkeys in the pdf, you get this:
"The game supports a number of hotkeys, which are not case sensitive. There is a text file, called “KeyCommands.txt”, in the manuals folder that details all hot keys available." No indication that a list of hotkeys follows.

Other than being outdated, this is my main problem with the TOAW manual: it is very hard to find stuff in it.

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:43 pm
by Curtis Lemay
ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Hot keys are listed in section 6.1.
OK, my mistake...but they are not easy at all to find. They are not mentioned in the Table of Contents. There is no index. If you search for hotkeys in the pdf, you get this:
"The game supports a number of hotkeys, which are not case sensitive. There is a text file, called “KeyCommands.txt”, in the manuals folder that details all hot keys available." No indication that a list of hotkeys follows.

Other than being outdated, this is my main problem with the TOAW manual: it is very hard to find stuff in it.
Using the search function, I typed in "hotkey" and it when straight to 6.1.2.

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:42 am
by 76mm
ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Using the search function, I typed in "hotkey" and it when straight to 6.1.2.

Like I said: "The game supports a number of hotkeys, which are not case sensitive. There is a text file, called “KeyCommands.txt”, in the manuals folder that details all hot keys available." No indication that a list of hotkeys follows."

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:58 am
by Curtis Lemay
ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Using the search function, I typed in "hotkey" and it when straight to 6.1.2.

Like I said: "The game supports a number of hotkeys, which are not case sensitive. There is a text file, called “KeyCommands.txt”, in the manuals folder that details all hot keys available." No indication that a list of hotkeys follows."
So..I suppose they would be suffering from some sort of tunnel vision that prevents them from seeing all the hotkeys spread out before them there. Or, Heaven forbid, they hit the search one more time and went directly to 6.1.3: Force Editor Hotkeys.

Good Grief.

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:03 pm
by 76mm
ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
So..I suppose they would be suffering from some sort of tunnel vision that prevents them from seeing all the hotkeys spread out before them there. Or, Heaven forbid, they hit the search one more time and went directly to 6.1.3: Force Editor Hotkeys.
I see the search results, not the whole page its on. And Force Editor Hotkeys are not game-play hotkeys.

All I'm saying is that if you're planning to make a manual without an index, make the text easier to search. And make the hotkeys easy to find--in an appendix, specifically identified in the ToC, etc. Pretty unreasonable, huh?

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:28 pm
by Curtis Lemay
ORIGINAL: 76mm

I see the search results, not the whole page its on.

Tunnel vision, in other words.
And Force Editor Hotkeys are not game-play hotkeys.

Seems like it would alert readers that they were in the vicinity of hotkey info.
All I'm saying is that if you're planning to make a manual without an index, make the text easier to search.

Why would anyone need an index for an electronically searchable manual?
And make the hotkeys easy to find

The search took the searcher directly to the hotkeys!!! How much easier does it have to be?

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:54 pm
by 76mm
[>:][>:][>:]

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:41 pm
by altipueri
Well it worked Ok for me and I've learned that Y zooms better than my mouse wheel.

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:44 pm
by Lobster
Convention is to make them easy to find in the manual. Not all do that well but in my 8 Matrix games TOAW is most aggregious. It's the one on the end.


Image

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:38 pm
by 76mm
ORIGINAL: Lobster
...in my 8 Matrix games...
Wut? You've only got eight Matrix games? LOL, I've probably got that many that I've never played. I've *got* to cut back!

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:44 am
by Zovs

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:28 am
by golden delicious
ORIGINAL: Zovs

It’s like

No it isn't.

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:09 am
by Zovs
ORIGINAL: golden delicious

ORIGINAL: Zovs

It’s like

No it isn't.

Why yes it is.

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:59 pm
by sPzAbt653
Updated/Current Key Commands in txt:

RE: attack planning window vs limited attack

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:17 am
by r6kunz
Thanks for the Hot Key list, Steve.