Page 1 of 1
A Little Something for the Holiday
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 9:00 am
by Wild Bill
A little Christmas something for all of you die-hard commanders.
Ever since about 1980, when the SL Module, "GI, Anvil of Victory" came out, I fell in love with the gliders and especially scenario #33, "A Belated Christmas."
When the first SP game came out, I yearned for some gliders to recreate that battle. "Never happen," I told myself. "O Ye of little faith!"
Now, 20 years after playing that SL scenario, I can have it (or a reasonable facsimile)in SPWAW.
So as a tiny gesture of appreciation to all of you, I prepared this one. You may like it. You may not. It's a small unit infantry fight.
There are no tanks, just a fast (12 turns) hard infantry fight Just as Captain Miller said in SPR, you gotta "Scoot and Shoot."
Too much shooting and too little scooting and you may not make it. It is best played by the US side and I think would make an excellent PBEM or TCP/IP scenario.
It is great seeing those gliders scoot across the terrain rather than moving them across a game board.
It's already uploaded to the Game Depot, in case you are interested.
Almost 56 years ago, Germany's last large offensive gasp was about to be breathed in the Ardennes forests of Belgium and Luxembourg. This is a little taste of what went on back in those days.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 9:47 am
by Huffy
Hey Bill...I too played "Squad leader" games and with the little cardboard pieces. I still think of them as memories...for scenarieos and battles...
Thanks for bringing them to this format also...you have done so much for this game already,...
Nothing more than thanks....
Huffy
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:08 am
by Wild Bill
It is a lot more than nothing to me, Huffy. Your "thanks" means a lot, an awful lot.
Hugs to the family. I know how excited your kids must be...
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:08 am
by ARIS
Talking about Gliders:
In the Watchword:Freedom campaign, when I had to secure the city at the north of the map, the Sovs used the following equipement:
tupolev G-2
g-11 glider
I was shooting those stuff with everything I got, AA, Tigers,Panthers, MG's, rocket artillery(!)... with everything. They took many hits, no casuality.
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:11 am
by Wild Bill
Frustrating, I am sure Aris. AA fire is not the deadly force in SPWAW that has been in other versions.
I think largely this is correct but for transports and gliders you probably should have gotten at least one or two.
Your luck will probably change in "The Victors," our next campaign.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 11:02 am
by MECH ENGINEER
Wild Bill, YOU ARE THE MAN.... I remember the scenerio well, and even tried to design the same on SPWW2. I'll have to get to it before Christmas(or maybe after). Right now, I'm in my Stalingrad, frame of mind. Thank you, Redleg. Then, there's this new one, Das Reich Recon Bn holding off the Big Red One, the Batttle of Caumont. Can't remember who designed it, but looks like a winner. Excellent narrative.
After plodding through board games for years, I'm still pinching myself over this deal.
------------------
"When do we get our flamethrowers, Top?"
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 12:44 pm
by Flashfyre
Yep...time to dust off those ASL maps, dig the scenario sheets out of the attic, and start converting 'em to SPWaW. Finally, we get to see them in a high-tech fashion....although, I loved spending a rainy Saturday moving those little cardboard pieces, lining up my LOS string, and calculating casualties.
Thx agin, WB and the team....you guys have restored my faith in computer gaming.
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 2:35 pm
by ARIS
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Frustrating, I am sure Aris. AA fire is not the deadly force in SPWAW that has been in other versions.
I think largely this is correct but for transports and gliders you probably should have gotten at least one or two.
Your luck will probably change in "The Victors," our next campaign.
Wild Bill
The game was saying that the gliders were hit, but not even 1 died. Anyway,I've crushed the troops at the ground,got a draw at the supply depots (that was unfair!), a decisive victory on the next assault, and now I have to defend the area at night with visibility 3...
Hey,you have been doing something with those T34-43, getting 10+ hits from panthers/tigers in a 5 hex distance and they still are alive??? And also they were killing my tanks from a distance! Anyway, toasted everything I found on my way till now.
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 7:19 pm
by rtr
Hi,
Thanks for posting 'A belated Christmas' WB, I had just spent half an hour screaching my scenarios for something to play:-)
Regards
Rob Reid
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 1:19 am
by Wild Bill
Well, Rob, I guess we're gonna have to hustle to keep up with you

!
Thanks fellas. We've done a few SL/ASL scenarios and I hope to do more. There are at least 6 or more already out there.
Sometimes I wonder if anyone has played all the scenarios on the CD, Depot and the support sites. I know I haven't (but I will...eventually

)
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 4:41 am
by Wild Bill
It is a fun scenario. I hope we can do more of these in the future. I no longer have my SL/ASL maps but others of our scenario designers do.
What are some of your favorites?
WB
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 7:21 am
by M4 Jess Housley
DAS MAN! and a merry Christmas to you! I grew up with PB/PL/SL/ASL.. played Belated Christmas a dozen times.. always lost..(LOL)
lost my maps and rule books in March when my house burnt down,, dang I miss them.. (well not as mush as my dogs), anyway, its been a long year for this wargamer, if anyone still plays SP3 please check out my pride and joy "The Longest Day" based on Avalon Hills game of the same name, you can find it on the Wargamers Home page scenario depot.Anyway, I have followed your lead Wild Bill and designed "Under the Noel Trees" ASL scenario 23. Happy Christmas Sir !
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 5:09 pm
by GrinningDwarf
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
What are some of your favorites?
WB
'Hill 621' was always a favorite with us. IIRC, the Germans start with one squad, three leaders, a radio, and a MG. The Russians start with about a battalion of infantry! Basically, the squad stays hidden and tries to break up the Russian advance with arty.
Turn 1, German reinforcements start pouring in from the west and turn 2, Russian armor starts showing up from the east. The objective is to control Hill 621, a key to holding the road to Stalingrad.
One of the first SL scenarios and always one of the best!
Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2000 3:46 am
by Wild Bill
For those just arriving, be sure and pick this one up for the holidays. Also M-4 Jess has a Christmas one for you. Just uploaded to the SPWAW Scenario Depot a few days ago.
Happy Holidays...
Wild Bill
==================
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games