Page 1 of 2
The retail cost of Uncommon Valor in Sweden
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:00 pm
by U2
I just can't believe it.....229 Swedish krona. When the dollar is strong (10:1) that means only 22.90 bucks!:eek: Same price for Starships....
A new game in Sweden usually costs 400-500 Krona.
If a Swede is reading this check out
http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=17795
It's the place where I bought a brand new copy of Airborne Assault for 12 bucks.
Anyhoo I've already preordered Korsun Pocket with Duchet and I'm gonna honor that order but for Titans of Steel and the rest of the upcoming Matrix games I'm gonna hold out till it reaches this retail store in Sweden. Big bucks to be saved.
Oh I would like to order directly from Matrix but the extra 30 bucks for UPS is just too much for a student. I hope that David and Co will one day be able to ship to far away places without UPS. I do know why it is so today so no need to explain:)
Cheers
Dan
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:19 pm
by Belisarius
Holy....
Even with the current exchange rate, it's still not more than $ 29!!

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:21 pm
by U2
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:04 pm
by Fallschirmjager
Why is the box in english?
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:06 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
Why is the box in english?
I have never heard of any other prints other than the english ones.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:14 pm
by Fallschirmjager
Really?
is english that well known that it doesnt hurt sales to have all the games in english?
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:22 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
Really?
is english that well known that it doesnt hurt sales to have all the games in english?
Well I can only speak for Sweden and the boxes have always been in English. Some of the big companies print a special cover with our language (for example my copy of MOHAA) or with the four Scandinavian languages. It's not very common and since 99% of us speak excellent English anyway it's not a problem...maybe for the kids:)
The games themselves are in English...if it is a Swedish game by a local company meant only for our market it is in Swedish of course.
It is not official but English is our second language.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:31 pm
by Marc von Martial
What you see there is the box our european strategic partner Just Play (
www.justplaynow.com ) made for Europe.
This is the US box

:

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:35 am
by pasternakski
Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
Why is the box in english?
Note the Mother Country spelling of "valour" as opposed to the cretinesque "valor" that is tolerated in the States.
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:24 am
by Fred98
Well said pasternakski.
Perhaps one day they will get the date format right too

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:18 am
by Belisarius
Originally posted by Joe 98
Well said pasternakski.
Perhaps one day they will get the date format right too
Haha! Yeah I can live with their refusal to accept standardized, easy, decimal-based units for length, weight, speed etc... but the date formats I'll never learn. :p
Expire by 03/06/08. What's that? For me, it means June 8, 2003. (year-month-day. simple!) But in american? March 6 2008? August 6 2003? June 3 2008? :rolleyes:
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:19 pm
by Ian Packham
Originally posted by Belisarius
Haha! Yeah I can live with their refusal to accept standardized, easy, decimal-based units for length, weight, speed etc... but the date formats I'll never learn. :p
Shhh.... Dont criticise the USA or Bush will label Sweden as part of the axis of evil. He will produce reports showing how you are strapping chemical weapons onto the backs of Santa's reindeers so when Christmas comes around, Sweden can launch a sneak attack on innocent American families.
He is picking up the phone to Blair as we speak....

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:34 pm
by Ian Packham
Originally posted by U2
It is not official but English is our second language.
You're joking. Most Swedes speak better English than the British Queen! We will have to start employing you guys as English teachers in our schools;)
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:59 pm
by joki
U2, that was an excellent site tip !! I have just been there and I found several games I would like to buy !!
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:10 pm
by U2
Originally posted by Ian Packham
You're joking. Most Swedes speak better English than the British Queen! We will have to start employing you guys as English teachers in our schools;)
I've been thinking about going to Ireland to teach instead of staying in Sweden when I graduate...England sounds good too.
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:42 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Proper english fluency by seemingly foreign persons is not actually all that surprising.
I have had really nice conversations with a japanese girl that spoke more effective english than the friends I have here in town.
I have had enjoyable chats with a girl in Portugal, who only occasionally was stumped by an abreviated word.
The truth is, in countries where english is a second language, but not the mother tongue, but where it is seen as desirable to learn fluent english, it is usually learned properly as well.
On the other hand, it is seen as a casual obvious skill, one taken for granted, and not pursued with much interest in actual english speaking countries.
English fluency in Canada and the US is not seen as a priority. Just another way for our education system to fail us really.
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:52 pm
by The MSG
Another copy of UV sold! Way to go Matrix! Get them out there and I'll buy them!
If you distribute they will sell...LONG LIVE MATRIX!
Err... time for my pills!

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:59 pm
by U2
Originally posted by The MSG
Another copy of UV sold! Way to go Matrix! Get them out there and I'll buy them! 
Does this mean I can now kick your behind in UV?:D
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:48 pm
by Blunderbuss

I must admit to total ignorance of Matrix Games until I stumbled on this website by accident. Most of my strategy gaming up till now has been with real time games. Can somebody please recommend one of Matrix Games products that would make a good introduction to turn-based strategy? I'll keep an eye out for any recommendations, assuming they are on sale in the UK.
The last TBS I played properly was probably Laser Squad on the Amiga 500 about twelve years ago.
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:00 am
by Fallschirmjager
Click on the second game in my banner
It will be real time
Also check out Close Assault by Matrix